Audeze LCD-4
Mar 28, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #5,716 of 12,019
I had to laugh and nod seeing the last few comments. I've just got through some lengthy burning-in sessions so 'the kitchen system' is now operating at around optimum performance levels - which makes stopping listening for the day quite difficult.

In nearly 40 years of chasing elusive hi-fi perfection I'm struggling to recall discovering a better marriage of components than this pairing (Milo and LCD-4). Just amazing. Sometimes I EVEN FIND MYSELF ACTUALLY ENJOYING THE MUSIC instead of mentally drawing up a lengthy review of the equipment involved. Shocking.
What are you using as the front end of your chain?

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #5,717 of 12,019
  Mojo pairs well with the LCD-X because it is very efficient....the LCD-4 is another story...can you use it?sure,is it optimal for a power hungry 4L HP?...no!

Agreed...I didn't feel the LCD-4 was sufficiently driven by my desktop Hugo TT for that matter.

Apr 1, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #5,719 of 12,019
I am interested in a SS amp for the LCD-4 as I sometimes have quick sessions especially in the morning before I go to work and I don't want to power up my tube amp and preamp just for 10 minutes. Any recommendation on the best pairing? I was considering the V281 or the Master 9 but there is no way for be me audition them before buying. I'm using Yggy + Lynx E22.

Apr 1, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #5,720 of 12,019
The Jotunheim works pretty well with it and great value too.

Apr 1, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #5,721 of 12,019
I am interested in a SS amp for the LCD-4 as I sometimes have quick sessions especially in the morning before I go to work and I don't want to power up my tube amp and preamp just for 10 minutes. Any recommendation on the best pairing? I was considering the V281 or the Master 9 but there is no way for be me audition them before buying. I'm using Yggy + Lynx E22.
V280 was plenty sufficient imo.

Apr 1, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #5,722 of 12,019
i upgraded my SS amp from v281 to wells audio milo with the attenuation circuit upgrade. the difference is HUGE. v281 is a great amp, but the milo takes it to another level for the lcd4

Apr 2, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #5,723 of 12,019
i upgraded my SS amp from v281 to wells audio milo with the attenuation circuit upgrade. the difference is HUGE. v281 is a great amp, but the milo takes it to another level for the lcd4
You mean it just happens to have much better SYNERGY? That term huge is really laughable in this context, cause v281 is High End amp and difference between high end amps is mostly in sound signature. I guess it happens to have better synergy with LCD4 and thats all. V281 is on the warmer side, ofcourse there is much better amps for LCD4 specifically.

Apr 2, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #5,724 of 12,019
You mean it just happens to have much better SYNERGY? That term huge is really laughable in this context, cause v281 is High End amp and difference between high end amps is mostly in sound signature. I guess it happens to have better synergy with LCD4 and thats all. V281 is on the warmer side, ofcourse there is much better amps for LCD4 specifically.
not only in terms of sound signature, milo just have much2 better presence n dynamics compared to the v281 paired with the LCD4, im guessing its because of the huge power n livelier sound of the milo compared to the v281.

Apr 2, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #5,726 of 12,019
not only in terms of sound signature, milo just have much2 better presence n dynamics compared to the v281 paired with the LCD4, im guessing its because of the huge power n livelier sound of the milo compared to the v281.
It is well known fact that V281 pairs by far best with Neutral or bright headphones. I understand that LCD 4 need something more lively. Power doesnt make amp lively, tuning makes.

Apr 2, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #5,727 of 12,019
It is well known fact that V281 pairs by far best with Neutral or bright headphones. I understand that LCD 4 need something more lively. Power doesnt make amp lively, tuning makes.
it is not a case i my experience though sir, i tried en on a portable device like sr71b which is known to have a big bottom end on most cans, it does leave some headroom on the lcd4 but the bass is just anemic on it. i assume it is a sign of underpower. so does the difference between 100 ohm and 200ohm lcd4 which is claimed to have the exact same FR, the do sound very different on the same amp when volume matched

Apr 2, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #5,729 of 12,019
Heard my LCD4s out of an SR-71B, was pretty damn good for something the size of a deck of cards (and about the same weight) but I too did think it could've had more bass impact. Heard a pair of LCD3s out of it as well - seemed like the lower impedance definitely helped with the ability to deliver stronger bass with those.

As far as I can tell, the LCD4 likes power...hardly a surprise to anyone here :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back