Audeze LCD-4
Mar 12, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #5,641 of 12,031
double post my bad

Mar 12, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #5,643 of 12,031
Listening to some Black Keys (Brothers) through Tidal Masters and the LCD-4s and all I can say is 
basshead.gif

Amazing! The bass thump is spectacular, detailed, taught and hits hard. Usually it's pick 2 of the 4, but with the LCD-4s you can have it all. These headphones still continue to impress me each time I put them on!

Mar 13, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #5,644 of 12,031
  Listening to some Black Keys (Brothers) through Tidal Masters and the LCD-4s and all I can say is 
basshead.gif

Amazing! The bass thump is spectacular, detailed, taught and hits hard. Usually it's pick 2 of the 4, but with the LCD-4s you can have it all. These headphones still continue to impress me each time I put them on!

Hi,
could you please compare the LCD4 to an ABYSS Headphone. I think you had heard both.

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #5,645 of 12,031
LCD-4 (100ohm) is more neutral than the Abyss. To me, I couldn't really get why people thought the Abyss was faster - the treble seemed a bit zingy but with good detail. The LCD-4 bass was more neutral, the vocals more natural for my ears. I think the Abyss was fantastic, just a bit odd.

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #5,646 of 12,031

Hi,
could you please compare the LCD4 to an ABYSS Headphone. I think you had heard both.

I own both so I can try to help out a bit. The LCD-4 is more intimate, with a smaller soundstage. It is warmer than the Abyss, and has better mids. The Abyss's bass is more percussive, it hits harder. I think that with the LCD-4 you might "feel" the bass more and there might be a bit more quantity, depending on how you have your Abyss set up. Both are fantastic headphones. 

Mar 13, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #5,649 of 12,031
  I own both so I can try to help out a bit. The LCD-4 is more intimate, with a smaller soundstage. It is warmer than the Abyss, and has better mids. The Abyss's bass is more percussive, it hits harder. I think that with the LCD-4 you might "feel" the bass more and there might be a bit more quantity, depending on how you have your Abyss set up. Both are fantastic headphones. 

i have not had a chance to audition the Abyss.  

and i believe you (and most everyone else) who say it's a great sounding headphone.  

but i'm sorry, that is the ugliest f'ing thing i've ever seen in my life.  not headphone, but ANYTHING.  i know that shouldn't matter, but i don't know if i could sleep at night after wearing that thing.  looks like a medieval torture device.  like something you slowly tighten during intense questioning until the subject's head explodes.  just awful, awful looking.  saying it's "ugly" is an extreme understatement.  it's hideous, really.  

Mar 13, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #5,650 of 12,031

Hi,

I've heard both on several "top flight and stellar rigs". Both have great bass (likely the best I've heard out of any pair of headphones) and both prove that when designed properly, orthodynamics can image with the best of them. The mids/treble (and mainly treble) is where the Abyss's wheels come off the tracks and it really holds them back from being truly spectacular headphones like the LCD-4s. Just my two cents....

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #5,651 of 12,031

Hi,

My 2c (will be unpopular in this thread) is that the LCD-4 lags behind a bit - just sounds like a veiled version of the Abyss to me.  I wondered if I could achieve the LCD-4 sound from my Abyss by putting a big block of foam in the earcups.

Having said that, the bass was pretty on-par - pretty much a tie between the two for the "best bass ever" award.  More than I originally thought possible for a headphone.

If you have the LCD-4 at one end of the flagship scale with it's bass heavy, dark, non-fatiguing sound signature, and the 009 at the other end with it's bass light, super revealing yet fatiguing sound, I would put the Abyss somewhere in the middle.  It strikes the right balance between easy-to-listen-to and revealing for me, but we are all looking for something different I suppose.

RE the looks - yes it looks strange but I found the LCD-4 to be more uncomfortable more quickly than the Abyss.  I found the Abyss uncomfortable after about an hour and the LCD-4 uncomfortable after about 20 mins.  I've since made a custom headband for my Abyss and I can wear it as long as I like (and without looking like frankenstein - if that's important to you).

This is not intended to be an attack on the LCD-4 - I think it's helpful for people asking to get a wide variety of opinions.  There are a lot of great products in this price range and it's really more a matter of taste.

Mar 14, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #5,652 of 12,031
and my 2c with the caveat that i have heard both cans but not compared them directly. i liked them both sound wise. however, i recall the abyss lacking the clarity and refinement of the lcd-4. i don't want to take anything away from its strengths tho, which are speed, soundstage and hard hitting bass. it's a fun listen.

Mar 14, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #5,653 of 12,031
i have not had a chance to audition the Abyss.  

and i believe you (and most everyone else) who say it's a great sounding headphone.  

but i'm sorry, that is the ugliest f'ing thing i've ever seen in my life.  not headphone, but ANYTHING.  i know that shouldn't matter, but i don't know if i could sleep at night after wearing that thing.  looks like a medieval torture device.  like something you slowly tighten during intense questioning until the subject's head explodes.  just awful, awful looking.  saying it's "ugly" is an extreme understatement.  it's hideous, really.  

don't hold back next time

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #5,654 of 12,031
2 weeks ago I went and ordered a USB to SPDIF/AES/COAX converter, the Gustard U12. I didnt want to blow all out 2k for the berkeley one as I have to be somehow cautious money spender these days, and now Ive had it playing for a week, and I realize how damn resolving and good the LCD4's are. By simply feeding it even more high detailed music digital chain, the LCD4 keeps running with me and gives me an upgrade that is more resolving, better instrument separation and a bit brighter. Brighter was just what I was looking for, and I think I got a good balance now, even though the U12 isnt the best unit in the world, it definetely was an upgrade to my system instead of using USB directly to the DAC with isolated USB unit in between.

Also I have modded my ADC, tascam unit to a better PSU and over the last week I had the kids record themselves in our little home recording system with 2x professional mic's and pop filters to the Tascam unit, and I had to use my LCD4 on the headphone output of the Tascam unit, and I really enjoyed the time spend listening and recording the girls, even on a normal hifi quality, but a good listen as I again realize how damn good the LCD4 is to present a lower quality DAC/headphone output but stil making it enjoyable!

I guess what Im saying to make the LCD4 sound great, carefull choice of digital chain, DAC and AMP is the way to go. Review every single unit in the system before decide to purchase. The last module I got was so damn cheap and out of reach for a review, so I just had to give it a go.

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #5,655 of 12,031
  2 weeks ago I went and ordered a USB to SPDIF/AES/COAX converter, the Gustard U12. I didnt want to blow all out 2k for the berkeley one as I have to be somehow cautious money spender these days, and now Ive had it playing for a week, and I realize how damn resolving and good the LCD4's are. By simply feeding it even more high detailed music digital chain, the LCD4 keeps running with me and gives me an upgrade that is more resolving, better instrument separation and a bit brighter. Brighter was just what I was looking for, and I think I got a good balance now, even though the U12 isnt the best unit in the world, it definetely was an upgrade to my system instead of using USB directly to the DAC with isolated USB unit in between.

Also I have modded my ADC, tascam unit to a better PSU and over the last week I had the kids record themselves in our little home recording system with 2x professional mic's and pop filters to the Tascam unit, and I had to use my LCD4 on the headphone output of the Tascam unit, and I really enjoyed the time spend listening and recording the girls, even on a normal hifi quality, but a good listen as I again realize how damn good the LCD4 is to present a lower quality DAC/headphone output but stil making it enjoyable!

I guess what Im saying to make the LCD4 sound great, carefull choice of digital chain, DAC and AMP is the way to go. Review every single unit in the system before decide to purchase. The last module I got was so damn cheap and out of reach for a review, so I just had to give it a go.

the LCD-4 needs ample power in order to really allow you to hear it properly....underpowering it is like buying a lamborghini and driving it in the city....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back