Audeze LCD-4
Dec 5, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #5,071 of 11,994
  I have the HE6 and had the LCD 4s. On the Mjolnir 2, the HE6 has to be at 3'o clock position to have a decent volume, I had also set the volume to max at some songs and it felt like it can be pushed further. The LCD 4s when at the same position sounded pretty deafening. HE6 are power hungry.

I have never heard the HE-6 but my LCD-4 is a power beast.....compared to other HP's I have owned and own it is the most difficult to drive of them all...be prepared to need ample power to truly experience them properly

Dec 5, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #5,072 of 11,994
Yea HE6 definitely requires more power. It scales better with speaker amps too

Dec 6, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #5,073 of 11,994
Is the LCD-4 a bit lighter and airier sounding than the 3 (more in the dircetion of the HE1000)?

I heard the HE1000 V2 has a bit of a smaller soundstage and a more solid sound- going a bit in the Audeze direction and I am trying to decide between these two phones.

Dec 6, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #5,074 of 11,994
  Is the LCD-4 a bit lighter and airier sounding than the 3 (more in the dircetion of the HE1000)?

I heard the HE1000 V2 has a bit of a smaller soundstage and a more solid sound- going a bit in the Audeze direction and I am trying to decide between these two phones.

Yes, it is more airy compared to the LCD3.
But do not expect day and night difference. I would say 20% - 25% more airy. 

The HE1000 still more etheral and lack to the same punch level as the LCD4. 

Dec 6, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #5,075 of 11,994
Last night I got my impact cable in and decided to let my gf blind a/b it for me. Before the a/b I thought the cryogenic blue cable had some sort of advantage but after the a//b blind I couldn't reliably tell the difference.

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #5,076 of 11,994
Hey guys, just a quick question if anyone can answer.
When it says the power requirements are 1-4 watts for the LCD-4, does it mean at the 200 Ohm impedence of the LCD-4?
If so, there aren't a lot of amps that will do that I think.

I am currently using my Bryston BHA-1 being fed from a Benchmark DAC2.

I have been auditioning the Wells Audio Milo for the last 4 days which is 18 Watts into 32 Ohms, way more than the Bryston.
Although I do hear some difference in the overall sound signature, I don't find it to be anything earth shattering.
On most of what I listen to the Bryston certainly gets loud enough just the volume knob has to be a little higher.
I was all stoked about the Milo because of it's power ratings, but now I am not so sure anymore if it's worth to make a change from the Bryston.

Thanks.

Dec 6, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #5,078 of 11,994
  Personally I think Audeze writes a power requirement of 1-4 watts on all their LCD range (even the X) out of laziness.  Trust your ears.

Agree. When I had the XC, I drove them with my Marantz HD DAC1 and the Mjolnir 2. While the Mjolnir is powerful than the HD DAC1 I really didn't feel that the HD DAC1 had less juice. I think it is really the sensitivity that matters when driving a headphone.

Dec 6, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #5,081 of 11,994
Quality silver occ type 4 or 6 litz would be wonderful no matter what HP. 18-22 awg  

Dec 6, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #5,083 of 11,994
I guess Audeze felt their customers wanted this type of cable, but Audeze loses a lot of technical credibility by including cryogenically frozen crystalized copper cable. What a load of hogwash. Obviously Audeze's PhDs know that is pure BS, so why raise the price by including the cable?

The headphones sound great though.

Cryogenically treated four conductor stranded wire, silver-plated single-crystal OCC copper.

Dec 6, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #5,084 of 11,994
I guess Audeze felt their customers wanted this type of cable, but Audeze loses a lot of technical credibility by including cryogenically frozen crystalized copper cable. What a load of hogwash. Obviously Audeze's PhDs know that is pure BS, so why raise the price by including the cable?

But the price did not change since the blue cable. 

Dec 6, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #5,085 of 11,994

I don't want to start a cable debate, but I have 4 different cables that have 4 different sound characteristics. I encourage you to just read the introduction of the following doc that outlines the effects of cryogenic treatment on metals. I can only hope that you would agree that a change in conductivity could conceivably result in a change of sound. I say keep treating, Audeze.. Though I've teetered at times, I always return to my blue cable. It also happens to be the only one that's cryo treated. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not..

http://www.ijstr.org/final-print/August2012/Comparative-Study-of-Cryo--Treated-Steel.pdf

BTW, I know the article relates to steel, but I don't think it's too far fetched to expect common effects in other metals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back