Audeze LCD-4
Nov 29, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #4,996 of 11,994
  You guys will probably be surprised to hear this one, but..

After a long absent of nothing but listening to the LCD-4 and HD800S, I've decided to sell off my LCD-4 and keep my HD800S.

Many reasons.

To my tastes in sound quality, I'm more on the upper registry kind of guy. Meaning, I do appreciate the LCD-3/LCD-4 for their lush sound and superb bass depth, although I just don't feel like it's open sounding or clear as I would like it to be. The LCD-4 was a step up indeed, but in the end, with a HD800S and proper equalization from SonarWorks, I preferred it.

Another few thing is that it's large. Sitting at around 600grams, even with the improved headband, it is still just too uncomfortable. Getting years and years into this hobby now, that's another thing i realize that I favor and base my purchases around, and that's comfortability. I wouldn't say power was an issue when I used them as I have a balanced Beta 22 which does incredibly well.

Hmm.. I do want something higher up than a HD800S, but wouldn't want to go into STAX territory as that'll force me into a new amplifier. Any ideas?

LCD-4 + balanced Beta 22 are pair made in heaven! Hard to let them go compared to other headphones and amps I have. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #4,997 of 11,994

After a long absent of nothing but listening to the LCD-4 and HD800S, I've decided to sell off my LCD-4 and keep my HD800S.

Many reasons.

To my tastes in sound quality, I'm more on the upper registry kind of guy. Meaning, I do appreciate the LCD-3/LCD-4 for their lush sound and superb bass depth, although I just don't feel like it's open sounding or clear as I would like it to be. The LCD-4 was a step up indeed, but in the end, with a HD800S and proper equalization from SonarWorks, I preferred it.

Another few thing is that it's large. Sitting at around 600grams, even with the improved headband, it is still just too uncomfortable. Getting years and years into this hobby now, that's another thing i realize that I favor and base my purchases around, and that's comfortability. I wouldn't say power was an issue when I used them as I have a balanced Beta 22 which does incredibly well.

Hmm.. I do want something higher up than a HD800S, but wouldn't want to go into STAX territory as that'll force me into a new amplifier. Any ideas?

The closest analogue to the HD800 in terms of TOTL headphones is probably the Hifiman HE1000v2. Its reasonably light (420g vs 380g for HD800), has a wide soundstage (probably the widest of any flagship outside of the HD800), is pretty airy in the treble (but is behind the HD800 in that regard), and a much warmer, thicker bass and midrange. Since getting the HE1000v2 I havent felt the desire to listen to the HD800S and its been relegated to gaming cans. Of all the TOTL non-electrostat headphones (including the Utopia) IMO only the HE1000v2 could be construed as a reasonable upgrade path for an HD800 users since it maintains most of strengths while doing things the HD800 cant do (like subsonic bass impact or warmer tonality).

It does have a similarity to the LCD4 in that both have sub-500 nanometer diaphragms.

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #4,998 of 11,994
I owned the 800 and 800s..after listening to the LCD-4 i sold them....no contest for me,not in the same ballpark...I like everything about the LCD-4 better including the soundstage

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #5,000 of 11,994
Nov 29, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #5,001 of 11,994

Many reasons.

ooh traitor :) I had the same opinions bro, they are very heavy too. Have a listen to the HE 6.

Nov 29, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #5,008 of 11,994
Explains the price a little bit.  Sounds like they will never be a high volume product due to manufacturing limitations/issues.  Super excited as I plan on taking Friday off to give me an extra day to listen to them after they arrive.

Quote:

The diaphragm takes many days to create.
There is high rejection rate while building this diaphragm. This is why it takes them many tries to successfully build one diaphragm. 

Audeze, please correct me if I said it wrong. 

Nov 29, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #5,010 of 11,994

Many reasons.

I had both at one time but sold the H800S. Why? Because while they were great for sessions under perhaps an hour, they didn't hold up to longer listening sessions. I would get somewhat bored and lose engagement. This is where the LCD-4 (and 3 for that matter) excel given the fact that your neck can support them for longer periods. I have zero issues with their weight as it is nicely distributed. I can listen to the 4s for hours on end fully engaged without any listening fatigue and to me this is the ultimate test of an amp, headphone, etc. The only other headphones, outside of the LCD-3 and 4 that do it for me, up to this point, are the Zmf Omni, the Hifiman HE-6 and HE-1K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back