Audeze LCD-4
Mar 23, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #2,957 of 11,994
  I would sure add the Grado PS1Ke to this list.

Yep, for sure.  Sorry to the HP lovers I didn't list...certainly the Grados would fit.

I was just trying to summarize the cans that were being discussed, in the thread.  Not to create a holistic list of all cans in this price range.

I would love to re-create David Mahler's work, but that's out of my wheel-house :)

Cheers,
RCB

Mar 23, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #2,958 of 11,994
Such as? I don't know what kind of system you are using so I can only speak to my own, and I've had almost half a dozen speakerphiles come listen and they more or less agree with exactly what I've said, and the amounts of cash they have tied up in their systems range anywhere from approx. $50K-$600K.

Some people prefer more musical sounding tube amps but my system is full solid state and is as transparent as it gets.

It is interesting to consider how a $4k headphone fits into one's audio setup.  It hardly seems worthwhile driving something that expensive with below average gear -- unless, of course, the goal is to later upgrade the system to match the LCD 4 capabilities.  Just got my 4's and look forward to posting some comments after burning in a couple hundred hours.

Mar 23, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #2,959 of 11,994
It is interesting to consider how a $4k headphone fits into one's audio setup.  It hardly seems worthwhile driving something that expensive with below average gear -- unless, of course, the goal is to later upgrade the system to match the LCD 4 capabilities.  Just got my 4's and look forward to posting some comments after burning in a couple hundred hours.

My gear? I'll PM you a picture if you'd like and then you tell me. My system is worth roughly six figures. So I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Mar 23, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #2,960 of 11,994
Cool Torq, thanks for verifying.  The revised list is:

- Abyss AB-1266      $4,500
 - LCD-4                  $4,000
 - HE1000                $3,000
 - LCD-X                  $1,699
 - HD800s                $1,699
 - HD800                 $1,399 ($1,150 at Amazon) even lower elsewhere...

Makes the Abyss more attractive!

Just IMO, as an HD800 owner and lover, the current prices are a steal for that HP.

The reason for my comparing is:  I currently have the LCD-X and HD800 (non-S) in my stable.  I'm always trying to decide whether it makes sense to upgrade my cans.  Therefore, I am very interested in this discussion.

The Ether folks may want to chime in...I believe their cans are around $1599.

Thanks all,
RCB

Crutchfield is now selling factory refurb HD800 for $999. (They list the retail price at $1699, which it isn't, it's $1599.) But $999 for a factory refurb is a pretty good deal, though I never listen to my 800 anymore, or my 650. Ever since the LCD3 I stopped listening to the 800 pretty much, and the LCD4 makes all the rest irrelevant.

Mar 23, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #2,962 of 11,994
Seems Audeze's pricing methodology is working well.

I wonder how many they've sold. Probably not nearly what the Abyss has which of course has been out longer but to me sounds flawed. I remember reading somewhere that Audeze says they can barely produce 20 units a month so I doubt the numbers are that high. And because of the price I'm sure relatively few people own them yet for others to hear. But I think their tech has come a long way since they started in 2009 and because of that fact I offer to let people come over and listen, as that's what helps the technology in this community grow. I'd appreciate others doing the same for me so I do it, thus the more people that purchase the greater the incentive the company has to make other products and maybe even further enhance the LCD line in time, though I think the LCD-4 with the new diaphragm are already pushing the threshold of what's possible with planar magnetic phones. I remember when I got the LCD-3 in 2012 before the Fazor and I didn't think they could get much better but I was speechless at how wrong I was once I got the new 4. I never expected there to be that much of an increase in performance.

I also really respect how they have broken through into the consumer market, even if those phones don't sound good enough for "us," they have a presence on Apple's webstore and even in some physical stores. Just last week I got an email newsletter from the musician Seal, who I like for the most part, and there was a link to a video of him doing a recording, and he was using the closed-back EL-8, so Audeze seems to have made a big presence among lots of recording artists. And inevitably, those sales only help to further their R&D and produce more quality headphones.

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #2,963 of 11,994
I'm of another opinion. I was extremely frustrated with the driver failures of the LCD series, as well as the wood cups splitting. Audeze suggested to me that it was probably a climate issue, when my LCD-3's split (for the second time) sitting in my house at 20C, 24/7. These are perhaps growing pains, but this was in addition to a lack of consistency in FR response between cans... I found that literally every pair of LCD's sounded different... some LCD-2's sounded good, some sounded completely different than the good ones. In my experience, the LCD-3's that sound "very good" seem to be few and far between... I don't doubt that they exist, it just seems to me that for the price, this is a crap shoot. Add the revisions, the EL-8's, and now the (IMO) ridiculous pricing on the 4's.

I have heard the Sine's actually sound good, and I am hopeful... They don't have wood cups, which is also a plus for someone who had the effing things split twice for no apparent reason. (I kept my 3's in the Pelican case and babied them.) Their pricing is also more down to earth. I think these could be a step in the right direction for Audeze.

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #2,964 of 11,994
Crutchfield is now selling factory refurb HD800 for $999. (They list the retail price at $1699, which it isn't, it's $1599.) But $999 for a factory refurb is a pretty good deal, though I never listen to my 800 anymore, or my 650. Ever since the LCD3 I stopped listening to the 800 pretty much, and the LCD4 makes all the rest irrelevant.

Perhaps irrelevant to some, but not to all.  

Mar 24, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #2,968 of 11,994
I only make this comment because you mentioned metal. The HE1K is one of the best metal headphones I have ever heard. The SR009 not so much.

I also thought the headstage of the HE1K is a lot better than the SR009. A lot.

In terms of speed, you're probably right - I would give the SR009 the edge. Same with the highs. Again, mids, not so much.

Yep the HE1000 is fantastic for Rock & Metal. But in my eyes the Abyss is even better! In terms of soundstage and bass slam umbeatable!
When I want to hear all the details of the record i take the SR009. For fun the Abyss. I don't need other open headphones.

Mar 24, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #2,969 of 11,994
  Yep the HE1000 is fantastic for Rock & Metal. But in my eyes the Abyss is even better! In terms of soundstage and bass slam umbeatable!
When I want to hear all the details of the record i take the SR009. For fun the Abyss. I don't need other open headphones.

The Odin is also a great headphone for Rock (for me) and Metal (for other).
http://www.head-fi.org/t/732814/new-kennerton-odin-planar-magnetic-magister-vali-headphones-cables-amps-from-fischer-at-ifa/495#post_12418878
Also, it is easier to drive than any other mentioned headphones, and less expensive (to consider it). 
This is the harsh reality (for the other competitor headphones) 
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #2,970 of 11,994
So now that I have an easy 160-170 hours on my LCD-4s, I am so impressed with them. They continue to improve with break in but may have reached their peak performance at this break in point. They are sounding fantastic! Everything is clicking and I'm very happy with them. I still stand by the 3f color for rock music but the gap has narrowed. I will also say that the Cardas cable helped it get to this point IMO. Not that the stock cable was bad but the Cardas cable just kind of snapped everything into focus.

I also held a little gathering last weekend and got to hear the 4s against the Stax L-700 with an modified SRD-7 Energizer connected to an Audio GD 9 amp. While it's impossible not to like the Stax, I still preferred the LCD-4s. They were every bit as resolute but they also had more personality than the Stax. This makes for a more enjoyable listening experience to me. The bass on the 4s was also superior.

I am tossed between the 4s and my HE-1k though. I can go either way. I love both sets for their individual personalities and approaches to making music sound great.
This makes it a pleasure to rotate between the sets every few nights or so and occasionally I'll throw the LCD-3s in the mix.

Did you try the LCD3, 4 and HEK out of the Master 9 when you had it at home?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back