Audeze LCD-4
Mar 12, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #2,731 of 11,994

If you got this big different from changing the headphone cable, I can’t help but wonder how you would feel with a different amp with the LCD 4. I have own the Soloist and paired it with the LCD 3C and HE 500 when I had them. To my ears the Soloist is a bit on the thin and sterile side. Do not interpret it like it’s a bad thing per se, just an observation that can maybe explain the difference to some other impressions here those use other amps and DACs. If that I said about the character of the Soloist would be somehow true, matching of the Soloist and LCD 3F could result in a better overall tonally balance that is preferable to you.

What I’m trying to say is it make sense to me that you prefer the Soloist and LCD 3F synergy then it comes to tonality. A bit of midrange boost in creaminess and richness is what the Soloist ultimate needs IMO. 

What I hear with the Soloist is quite the opposite. When I reconnected the Soloist to my system the first thing that hit me was its bass authority and control compared to what I was hearing on the mj2. Huge! Along with that, and what the mj2 lacked, was the Soloists high end sparkle for lack of another word. Nothing sterile here. When I went from the Soloist TO the mj2, I immediately noticed that difference and let friends know it at the time but I continued to give the mj2 a chance and adjust to its sound signature. It may have been more holographic than the Soloist which would lead me to say "Oh, that's pretty cool" and end it there. It didn't make up for that bass weight and high end sparkle that the Soloist had.That's what gets your toes tapping and head bobbing day in and day out. After realizing this, I started reading reviews of the Soloist and was very happy to see most reviewers loved the LCD-3 / Burson Soloist and Conductor synergy as I do.

After changing cables yesterday to Cardas, I feel that same synergy now with the LCD-4s. I cannot believe how this cable snapped the sound into focus as it did. I don't want this to come across like it was a total transformation. But it was significant and gave them that last needed bit of nth. I have no agenda with this. I was actually hoping that the stock cable was superior because it looks and feels great connected to the 4s. I think the superior resolution of the LCD-4s let the strengths of the Cardas really shine. I've always heard a difference for the good with Cardas, but not quite to this degree. Most importantly,it took me out of analysis mode of the LCD-4 sound to simply just enjoying the music without any further desire to assess what I'm hearing.

This is where I'm at now with the 4s and I couldn't be happier with what I'm hearing.

Mar 12, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #2,732 of 11,994
you call it a commitment, i call it bloody heavy.
wink.gif
leaving the price and weight to one side, i really liked the way the lcd-4 rendered my test tracks. switching from auditioning the hd800s to the lcd-4, there was a level of saturation in the music that was not there with the hd800s. suffice to say, i didn't switch back.

Yep, thanks. I sold my HD800 also shortly after I got the LCD4.

Mar 12, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #2,736 of 11,994
I think balanced can sound great but that's very subjective. Some of your finest headphone amps
have chosen not to go balanced. Audezes "The King" at $4k doesn't even offer it along with many other reputable
brands.

Mar 12, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #2,738 of 11,994
I just have to mention how in alignment I am with Hifi59. At the 70 hour break-in, the change in my LCD's (I upgraded my 3 to 4's) was noticeable. And I had the same cable experience going from stock to Cardas Clear.
I too can't stop listening.

Mar 12, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #2,739 of 11,994
That is true but you owe it with the LCD-4 to try it out and see what you like...

The mjolnir 2 balanced didn't deliver. I am quite happy with the Burson house sound
now with the 4s. I have the new V2 model on order with twice the power. I think there
are well executed examples of both balanced and Se approaches from different manufacturers
You will often find amps with Xlr outputs just for the sake of compatibility with ones headphone cable even though the circuitry is SE (Hifiman Ef-6)

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #2,740 of 11,994
Please tell me you just said you upgraded your 3's to 4's! I emailed audeze about this and never got a response back. how much did that cost?

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #2,741 of 11,994

I did the upgrade. I'm surprised you didn't hear back. My response was "upgrading existing headphones with LCD-4 transducers and Carbon Fiber Headband is a valid option to existing customers. They pay shipping and the cost is around $2000."
I'm surprised you didn't hear back as I have found them very responsive. Of course I did all other contact by phone. You might try calling the support line.

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #2,742 of 11,994

I did the upgrade. I'm surprised you didn't hear back. My response was "upgrading existing headphones with LCD-4 transducers and Carbon Fiber Headband is a valid option to existing customers. They pay shipping and the cost is around $2000."
I'm surprised you didn't hear back as I have found them very responsive. Of course I did all other contact by phone. You might try calling the support line.

Wow, very interesting to us LCD-3 owners 
gs1000.gif

Mar 12, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #2,743 of 11,994

It's hard to describe the experience LCD-4 gave me. It's like a roller coaster, a full experience. LCD-4 on these songs pushes/ pulls you around like a piece of feather. The bass is incredible. If smashes the floor with you. It takes you and smashes with you in all directions throughout the song. The feeling is incredibly intense. I don't think I've ever experienced something like this before. I knew the songs with HD800 and they completely took me by surprise with LCD-4. It's like I heard them for the first time. These songs are kind of null on HD800.

The experience is so intense that at the end of the song I actually felt tired from roller coaster experience. At one point in the song it's like you get ran over by a huge tire:

Dan,
Could you please post the DAC & amp you used for the LCD-4 and HD800?  And, are your LCD-4 the 100ohm or 200ohm version?

Thank you.
RCB

Mar 12, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #2,744 of 11,994
  Dan,
Could you please post the DAC & amp you used for the LCD-4 and HD800?  And, are your LCD-4 the 100ohm or 200ohm version?

Thank you.
RCB

They're the ones from my profile: MSB Analog Dac with Quad USB Input & Ben Lau Custom Power Source with Audio GD Master 9  headphone amp. LCD-4 are the latest version, meaning 200 ohms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back