Audeze LCD-4
Nov 10, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #1,532 of 11,994

It's not bothersome and has not affected my listening at safe, or even marginally unsafe, volumes with most music. I only have 1 track where it can be a noticeable issue at marginally unsafe volumes (and of course I can reproduce it with pure tones, again, at unsafe volumes).

Audeze is well aware of the reports, though it may actually be an issue of butting up against the laws of physics. The LCD-4 has extremely good bass extension, and it may not be possible with such bass extension and such a sensitive driver to eliminate all mechanical effects at very loud volumes. At some point you can't have your cake and eat it, too. As I said in my prior review, I don't suspect this will be an issue for most users, but since I put the headphone through its paces rather extensively (including using generated tones at different frequencies and volumes), I thought I'd make a note of it as a difference from other LCD series (and other planar) headphones.

Unless you like to listen to music with a very large amount of low-end energy at very loud volumes, I wouldn't let this affect your purchasing decision. I've decided to keep mine even though I do sometimes do that (and again, for almost all tracks I've tested in a wide variety of genres, even at loud volumes, there is no issue).

Alright, so I guess this is just how it is with a nano-scale thickness diaphragm and making it vibrate very deeply for extreme, loud, low bass. I just wanted to know if others have experienced it in the course of their listening (with different music, volume) to have a larger sample size of information as regards to whether this will become a potential issue or not. 

Nov 10, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #1,533 of 11,994
Nov 10, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #1,534 of 11,994
@ShembotCould it just be the drivers "bottoming out" at high volumes? I have heard this in Genis Towers as well, albeit at very loud volume. All transducers have their extension limits. Would love to hear more about its impact with music.

It's definitely not the transducer bottoming out or distorting in any way. Of this I am 100% certain. 

Nov 10, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #1,537 of 11,994

Great to hear that guys! Could you please elaborate on the reasons? Have you compared them to HE-1K/SR009/Abyss? I am quite sure I will have to cross that bridge soon and I am not as experienced as some of you guys here...

I've said most of what I have to say about the LCD-4 in this thread already, so if you like, you can look back at my previous posts for thoughts. I haven't compared them to any of the headphones you listed, but I will be comparing them to the HE-1000 in the near future and will post my thoughts.

Nov 10, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #1,538 of 11,994

Keeping. 

Me too! 

I actually considered returning them because I felt the overall sound was a bit "muffled" and actually asked for a RMA from Audeze. They provided one immediately and thanked me for giving the LCD-4 a try.

After letting them play for a couple of days and trying few different amps, the sound changed significantly for the better. They opened up in an amazing way and are now spectacular. I'm so glad that I held off shipping these back and I'm definitely keeping them.

BTW, I have confirmed the "buzzing" issue at low frequencies and high volumes via a tone generator however, this hasn't presented itself in any of my playlists so it's a non-issue so far.

Also, I have had the HE1k for a few months and I truly prefer the LCD-4 for my listening preferences.

Hope many more get the chance to enjoy the LCD-4 soon.

Nov 10, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #1,539 of 11,994
^ I agree that with a few days of playing them and getting some more hours on them they continued to improve over their initial sound. They are full sounding, but still very open and clear. They are truly very special headphones!

Nov 10, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #1,541 of 11,994
Hopefully they will have optimized and fixed the non-issues with the 4s in a future batch of refurbs I can think again about, highly discounted of course and somehow much lighter but with better sound 
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 10, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #1,542 of 11,994
Anyone can confirm if the Mojo can drive the LCD-4 'reasonably adequately well'? 

Nov 11, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #1,543 of 11,994
Update: LCD-4 vs HE1000

I found a few surprises I thought I would share. At first I was surprised just how similar both these headphones sounded (or could sound). I found the LCD-4 needed more power then previous models to open up and shine. Audeze did make it clear to me that the LCD-4 requires more power then the LCD-3 (to get the best out of them). Now the surprise was the change when using the HE1000 with less power. They became thin up top and muddy in the mids & bottom. These cans clearly require more power to sound good. Where as the LCD-4 benefits from more power if you want to get the best out of them. To clarify, you can still enjoy the LCD-4 with less power, where as the HE1000 becomes much less enjoyable. As in I do not want to listen to them unless I have an amp with a lot of power available to drive them. 

Even though the HE1000 is 35 ohm and the LCD-4 is 100 ohm the Audeze's are clearly more efficient. Those powerful magnets in the LCD-4 must be the reason for this. The HE1000 seems reminiscent of the HE6 needing some serous power to perform. I believe the HE1000 are still a lot more efficient then the HE6 was but, the LCD-4 is clearly much more efficient of the two. 

Both of my headphones are still braking in and I'm hearing some changes along the way. I will wait and see if I can confirm this conclusion next week when I have more burn-in time on each (I have both plugged in 24/7 playing music at a low to medium volume level). 

To those who don't believe in, brake in or burn in, I would like to say... THANK YOU! Why, you ask? Because I have saved a lot of money on gear that was only used for a few hours before you decided to sell it. I than scooped it up and ran it for 50+ hours only to find what it was really capable of. So again, thank you. If anyone else has any gear with only a few hours of use, please PM me so I can offer you a few bucks and get some more stuff at great prices!

:atsmile:  

Nov 11, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #1,544 of 11,994

I found a few surprises I thought I would share. At first I was surprised just how similar both these headphones sounded (or could sound). I found the LCD-4 needed more power then previous models to open up and shine. Audeze did make it clear to me that the LCD-4 requires more power then the LCD-3 (to get the best out of them). Now the surprise was the change when using the HE1000 with less power. They became thin up top and muddy in the mids & bottom. These cans clearly require more power to sound good. Where as the LCD-4 benefits from more power if you want to get the best out of them. To clarify, you can still enjoy the LCD-4 with less power, where as the HE1000 becomes much less enjoyable. As in I do not want to listen to them unless I have an amp with a lot of power available to drive them. 

Even though the HE1000 is 35 ohm and the LCD-4 is 100 ohm the Audeze's are clearly more efficient. Those powerful magnets in the LCD-4 must be the reason for this. The HE1000 seems reminiscent of the HE6 needing some serous power to perform. I believe the HE1000 are still a lot more efficient then the HE6 was but, the LCD-4 is clearly much more efficient of the two. 

Both of my headphones are still braking in and I'm hearing some changes along the way. I will wait and see if I can confirm this conclusion next week when I have more burn-in time on each (I have both plugged in 24/7 playing music at a low to medium volume level). 

To those who don't believe in, brake in or burn in, I would like to say... THANK YOU! Why, you ask? Because I have saved a lot of money on gear that was only used for a few hours before you decided to sell it. I than scooped it up and ran it for 50+ hours only to find what it was really capable of. So again, thank you. If anyone else has any gear with only a few hours of use, please PM me so I can offer you a few bucks and get some more stuff at great prices!

:atsmile:  

After proper burn-in process of course we'd like to know your final thought about these 2 cans and which of your amps made the right work. Thank you a lot

Nov 11, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #1,545 of 11,994

atsmile.gif

My findings are similar on my pair of HE1000.  They need lots of drive and reserve to do them justice even to play them at a low level its best to hook them to something that has an over abundance of power. My first amp with them the Burson Virtuoso could not get the bottom end to have slam and they just did not feel like they had enough dynamics overall.  They played plenty loud together but just no dynamics always seemed restrained. Moving them to my V281 all that changed.  However the strange thing is that again I did not play them any louder but the dynamics and slam just hit so much harder.  Still deciding if I should place an order on a pair of LCD 4's can't wait for everyones updates.  Keep them rollin in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back