Audeze LCD-4
Nov 9, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #1,501 of 11,995
  So what will they do with the returned units after 30-days?  Are they resold as new?  Will there be a reconditioned stock for a cheaper price?

That's a scary thought. 'Made-to-order' becoming 'tried by someone for 30-days then resold as new', a lot of the exclusivity that the large premium is based on just vanished if this is the case. Although, in actuality, we would never know even if they did that (unless the returned unit suffer some sort of visible damage). 

Nov 9, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #1,504 of 11,995
Quote:Originally Posted by groovyd So what will they do with the returned units after 30-days? Are they resold as new? Will there be a reconditioned stock for a cheaper price?That's a scary thought. 'Made-to-order' becoming 'tried by someone for 30-days then resold as new', a lot of the exclusivity that the large premium is based on just vanished if this is the case. Although, in actuality, we would never know even if they did that (unless the returned unit suffer some sort of visible damage).

Extraordinarily unlikely. The reputational risk would never be worth it. As icebear states, one possibility is that they would be sold as refurbished. Another likely scenario is that they become demo units for shows.

Nov 9, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #1,505 of 11,995
Comforting, although this is still our speculations until there's official word on what happens with returned units.

So any owners experienced the mechanical buzzing / vibrations that Shembot reported, is this supposed to happen and does it become bothersome?  

Nov 9, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #1,507 of 11,995
Extraordinarily unlikely. The reputational risk would never be worth it. As icebear states, one possibility is that they would be sold as refurbished. Another likely scenario is that they become demo units for shows.

As long as they give it a nice cleanup, change the pads, and headband leather, and inspect and test them again, repackage them nicely as new, how would you even tell the difference? In every sense it is new now, except it already had its burn-in period done by somebody else for you :p

So, even if Audeze does this (which is highly unlikely), nobody will be able to tell the difference anyway.

Nov 9, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #1,509 of 11,995

As long as they give it a nice cleanup, change the pads, and headband leather, and inspect and test them again, repackage them nicely as new, how would you even tell the difference? In every sense it is new now, except it already had its burn-in period done by somebody else for you :p

So, even if Audeze does this (which is highly unlikely), nobody will be able to tell the difference anyway.

Some like to go through the burn-in period themselves first-hand, so they can be witness to all the changes throughout, can't blame them. It's a matter of principle, new should always be made-to-order and refurbished should always be well...sold and labelled as refurbished, not given to customers who ordered for new. The fact that people can't tell is irrelevant.  

Nov 9, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #1,511 of 11,995

The serial numbers would be the giveaway. Do you have any evidence Audeze is actually doing this or is this baseless speculation?

Are you really suggesting some conspiracy where Audeze would also change the SN and risk legal action :rolleyes:

Nov 9, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #1,512 of 11,995
  Some like to go through the burn-in period themselves first-hand, so they can be witness to all the changes throughout, can't blame them. It's a matter of principle, new should always be made-to-order and refurbished should always be well...sold and labelled as refurbished, not given to customers who ordered for new. The fact that people can't tell is irrelevant.  

Of course it is a matter of principle. Audeze would never do this. Especially not on a super boutique, built-to-order headphones. We hope so at least, since refurbished units could provide a nice discount that the rest of us mortals can possibly afford.
biggrin.gif

But then that begs the question: I wonder though, what happens to returns Audeze has for its more higher quantity produced headphones. They do not have a B-stock section on their site for refurbished sales. Some manufacturers sell their refurbished marked as such through their dealer network, and I've seen some B-stock Audeze headphones here and there in online dealers.

Nov 9, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #1,513 of 11,995
Usually items like these returned are sold as "refurbrished" with full warranty but with a discount.

Yes .... "Usually" .... But I would like to have the Audeze official word on this matter :mad:

Nov 10, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #1,514 of 11,995
  Is it possible the carbon fiber starts to crack with age?  I am not aware what are the 'spring' properties of carbon fiber and epoxy and does it maintain it's spring behavior with age or perhaps gets looser with time?

After a while with my LCD-3s, the wood on one of the cups cracked. Audeze repaired it without question. I have no doubt that if somehow the headband had any sort of mechanical degradation that Audeze would fix it.

Nov 10, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #1,515 of 11,995

After a while with my LCD-3s, the wood on one of the cups cracked. Audeze repaired it without question. I have no doubt that if somehow the headband had any sort of mechanical degradation that Audeze would fix it.

Audeze customer service is amazing. Any and all my problems were solved free of charge (except shipping from me to them).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back