Audeze LCD-4
Oct 9, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #736 of 11,994
mmm......Audeze 'phones needs a little getting used to because of the weight. I really hate how my LCD X weigh, but over time, thanks to muscle memory and a thicker neck (lol!), I can wear my LCD X (@ a heavy 0.6 kilograms) with no problem even on  extended listening sessions. I don't think weight will be an issue for me with the LCD 4. If the new headband works better, it would just be icing on the cake. If you want a light weight planar magnetic, don't get any Audeze (LCD series) and  there's always the Ether and the Oppo PMs. In my case, meh......I'm used to it.

Oct 9, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #737 of 11,994
I suggest people spend some months wearing a motorcycle helmet to build up their neck muscles before having prolonged sessions the Audeze clan.....  
L3000.gif

Oct 9, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #738 of 11,994
Just noticed on their website Audeze is also selling microphones now too, look a bit ridiculous but interesting to see just how much they are really trying to diversify here (2 new amps, the LCD-4 & EL-8's all in the past few months)

Oct 9, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #739 of 11,994
What is the microphone for?  I gotta say, those mics look very cool.  Fancy podcast people can definitely use those.  

Edit: yeah I answered my own question.  I wouldn't buy it though.  Not sure many people would.  

Oct 9, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #740 of 11,994
I had LCD3F on loaner with some TOTL gear. I personally am not going to put a lot of faith in LCD4 because LCD3F was a complete fail for me. Compared to a pair of well driver HE-6 and HD800 they fall to shade. Even doing some mods, it still remains slow, bad instrumental seperation, unclear imaging, lack of detail. Whats the big fuzz about LCD4 and why they should cost 4k$. I don't get it.

Oct 9, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #741 of 11,994
I had LCD3F on loaner with some TOTL gear. I personally am not going to put a lot of faith in LCD4 because LCD3F was a complete fail for me. Compared to a pair of well driver HE-6 and HD800 they fall to shade. Even doing some mods, it still remains slow, bad instrumental seperation, unclear imaging, lack of detail. Whats the big fuzz about LCD4 and why they should cost 4k$. I don't get it.
(imaging)So true. I cancelled my order for the 3f's yesterday - despite the fact they make music so enjoyable. (Soundstage) (imaging)
I had to be be honest with myself and the admit the 800's were the ones of for me. Why enjoy music when you can analyse it? (Soundstage)
My Diana krall albums are gonna sound godly! And my chesky records! And the soundstage! Did I mention the soundstage?!Did I also mention the imaging?!

Soundstage is so hot right now. Soundstage.

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #742 of 11,994
That's one of the reasons I love the Cavalli booth. Alex had almost every "common" TOTL headphone so you can try them all on all of his different amps. This year he had the LCD-3 and -X, HE-1000 and -560, Ether and Ether-C, Abyss, HD-800 and a few others I can't remember. I spent a few hours playing with them and the amps. Great fun and never any pressure to move on (other than my desire not to hog anything if someone was waiting). Alex is a solid gut and a righteous dude. Cheers

Which is my point to a degree...there were a few stands at London with multiple top headphones using same source and amp where I could test. Again, it wasn't quite my living room but I could easily tell which can resolved more, which had more bass, etc. I was able to tell that I preferred the LCD 3 over the he1000, or the kenerton Odin, even though the latter two seemed to resolve more. Other stands offered other opportunities....I welcomed this opportunity over a shop with a more limited selection or pot luck of relying on third party reviews alone.

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #743 of 11,994
(imaging)So true. I cancelled my order for the 3f's yesterday - despite the fact they make music so enjoyable. (Soundstage) (imaging)
I had to be be honest with myself and the admit the 800's were the ones of for me. Why enjoy music when you can analyse it? (Soundstage)
My Diana krall albums are gonna sound godly! And my chesky records! And the soundstage! Did I mention the soundstage?!Did I also mention the imaging?!

Lol, as an audiophile I think it's ok to say I hate Diana Krall's music as well as the Chesky stuff. I'll admit it's some of the best "sounding" recordings around, but Diana Krall is basically a step above elevator music to me. Give me the Clash anyday, don't care how rough the recording is.

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #744 of 11,994
  Lol, as an audiophile I think it's ok to say I hate Diana Krall's music as well as the Chesky stuff. I'll admit it's some of the best "sounding" recordings around, but Diana Krall is basically a step above elevator music to me. Give me the Clash anyday, don't care how rough the recording is.

Yes I listen to what I like.  And it's usually not that stuff.  But I do have it too LOL.  Good for an occasional change of mood.  

As for the soundstage phenomenon, I personally think that it comes from when people (like me) mention that speakers just do soundstage way better than headphones or IEMs ever can, and so people keep reaching for that soundstage nirvana.  Some even go so far as to say that headphones can have better soundstage than speakers.  Anyway. 

I'm sure LCD-4 is great or not, but at least it will push down the price of the LCD3 (people dumping it to upgrade) so I can upgrade from my LCD2's.  Then I have to worry about the reliability issues.  

Oct 9, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #746 of 11,994
  I'm sure LCD-4 is great or not, but at least it will push down the price of the LCD3 (people dumping it to upgrade) so I can upgrade from my LCD2's.  Then I have to worry about the reliability issues.  

I think the LCD-4 being priced 2x the LCD-3 will help preserve the price of the LCD-3 not hurt it.  Presumably the 2x price tag is for massive improvement but either way it carves out a nice spot for the LCD-3 to remain in.  It also creates symmetry in the line for Audeze.  LCD-2>>LCD-3 (2x LCD-2)>>LCD-4 (2X LCD-3).  The old "great and best" just became "good, better, best"  The LCD-3 will also seem like a value play from a dollar perspective compared to the HE-1000.  Like Audeze did with the X and XC look for them to feel the space between the LCD-3 and LCD-4.  Maybe they come out with an LCD-2.1 to bolster that end of the market too.  LCD-3 owners should be really happy about the residual value of their 3's now.  As for dumping them, most people that can jump on a $2k headphone probably don't need to dump them to move up a level.  The LCD-3 would make for an expensive backup set of headphones but if they have something tonally different about them people may want to hang onto them.   Unless the LCD-4 is other worldly I will be keeping mine even if I get the 4s

Oct 9, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #747 of 11,994
I believe Audeze should really revamp their entire lineup. The incremental updates and all the issues that have plagued the current line-up can easily be circumvented with a brand new lineup. And it starts with weight reduction. They really have a huge issue with comfort and weight.

Oct 9, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #748 of 11,994
  I believe Audeze should really revamp their entire lineup. The incremental updates and all the issues that have plagued the current line-up can easily be circumvented with a brand new lineup. And it starts with weight reduction. They really have a huge issue with comfort and weight.

You realized they just added an entirely new lineup besides the LCD's right (EL-8's) that focus on comfort, weight and portability. Though the impressions on the SQ seem to vary widely.

Oct 9, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #749 of 11,994

It is not about soundstage, i have never said that headphones should compete with speakers. Imo, LCD3F lack detail and instrumental separation, which was disappointing. I mean, LCD3F does not have life like sound. It comes of as muddy and mid.fi'ish to me.

Oct 9, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #750 of 11,994
  It is not about soundstage, i have never said that headphones should compete with speakers. Imo, LCD3F lack detail and instrumental separation, which was disappointing. I mean, LCD3F does not have life like sound. It comes of as muddy and low-fi'ish to me..

The 3's have great detail and instrument separation until they are compared to the 800's. Likewise the 800's sound great with hiphop, rock, edm, drum and bass... Until they are compared with the 3's.

It is what it is. I know this subject has been beaten to death.

If i were to advise anyone who wanted great detail, soundstage and imaging AND musicality I would tell them to get the he-1000's over the 800's without hesitation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back