Audeze LCD-4
Oct 8, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #677 of 12,048
I love Audeze. Audeze is the first audio company I truly loved. They are responsible for most of my best listening experiences, and I take that seriously. I cherish those listening sessions. Their decision to charge $4K for their new flagship did surprise me at first glance. But market dynamics makes their price point choice necessary. The Head-Fi community, in addition to everyone else, is plagued by the price bias. We condition our opinions based on price, and while that may be natural, it does affect what manufacturers charge. Had Audeze decided to keep the price of the LCD-4 at $2K, or even raise it to $3K, some, if not many, would dismiss it as inferior to the HE-1000. Price differences inevitably affect mass perception, an unfortunate consequence of our current communication system. At $4K, the flagship model's performance now appears to exceed the flagship of its greatest rival, and its higher price has, at least in part, effectuated that.

Oct 8, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #678 of 12,048
  I love Audeze. Audeze is the first audio company I truly loved. They are responsible for most of my best listening experiences, and I take that seriously. I cherish those listening sessions. Their decision to charge $4K for their new flagship did surprise me at first glance. But market dynamics makes their price point choice necessary. The Head-Fi community, in addition to everyone else, is plagued by the price bias. We condition our opinions based on price, and while that may be natural, it does affect what manufacturers charge. Had Audeze decided to keep the price of the LCD-4 at $2K, or even raise it to $3K, some, if not many, would dismiss it as inferior to the HE-1000. Price differences inevitably affect mass perception, an unfortunate consequence of our current communication system. At $4K, the flagship model's performance now appears to exceed the flagship of its greatest rival, and its higher price has, at least in part, effectuated that.

So let me get this straight you think because Hifiman charges $3k for a headphone it's ok for Audeze to charge $4k?  And saying that the community would dismiss it because of it's lower price is absolutely not true.  The pricing thing is an ignorant comment.  Fact is Sennheiser charges $1600 for their flagship should you be dismissing it because it's not $5k (I don't consider the orpheus the Sennheiser flagship because it's not produced in mass quantities like the HE1K and the LCD-4 in the future)?  No.  

In regards to Audeze's LCD-4 exceeding the HE1K because it's $1k more.  My brain hurts.  Fact is there are reviews out there that aren't good.  There are reviews out there that I find to be completely untruthful where somewhere they post they hate it and somewhere they post they loved it.  I for one hated it.  It's boring, has no bass, and doesn't even pull details like the HE1K does.  The sound stage on the LCD-4 is inferior to the HE1K and the HD800 as well.  The HE1K has more of a right to charge $3k than Audeze has to charge $4k based on performance alone.

Thanks again for proving a point that there is something wrong with headphone pricing.  Also Audeze thanks you as well for being such a loyal fan.

Oct 8, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #679 of 12,048

This has to be the most dire justification I've read for the LCD4's price so far. 

Oct 8, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #682 of 12,048
Does sorta look neanderthal, don't it.....     
blink.gif

Oct 8, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #683 of 12,048
 Originally Posted by Moostrkraaft 

Maybe R&D is more.....  Maybe they are investing money to grow the brand and bring more, better, and varied products to market.  Maybe it costs more to make.....    If it sounds bad ***** then the dollar signs are worth it.  When I got the LCD-2 I thought I had reached the summit of sound and the amount of money I could or was willing to spend on headphones.  It was so good that I had to find a way to try the LCD3.  I thought it was insane money but it was the best sonic decision I ever made.  I don't know how I will get the LCD-4 but I know I will find a way,  If you break the cost out by the hour this really is not an expensive hobby :)

Oct 8, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #686 of 12,048
Seriously.  All the most expensive do for most is to pull the average price of headphones up.  So yes I do have every reason to be annoyed by this.  Especially I doubt they really put that much R&D into this.  It's the same housing, same wires, just a new diaphragm or film.  Maybe the inside damping mechanisms is different too, but considering that we can change that via user mods, it's not much cost to R&D for really.  Usually brands give people a reason to get their TOTL products (usually visual candy ie a completely stylish (Ether C!) /exotic(Abyss, if you can call it that) look) plus new features/designs.  I don't think people are really seeing the reasoning behind this one.  

Oct 8, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #687 of 12,048
How does the LCD-4 change the average price of headphones?????

Oct 8, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #688 of 12,048
  Seriously.  All the most expensive do for most is to pull the average price of headphones up.  So yes I do have every reason to be annoyed by this.  Especially I doubt they really put that much R&D into this.  It's the same housing, same wires, just a new diaphragm or film.  Maybe the inside damping mechanisms is different too, but considering that we can change that via user mods, it's not much cost to R&D for really.  Usually brands give people a reason to get their TOTL products (usually visual candy ie a completely stylish (Ether C!) /exotic(Abyss, if you can call it that) look) plus new features/designs.  I don't think people are really seeing the reasoning behind this one.  

The only reason to get the LCD4 would be if it kills the LCD3 and their other products.  All of the cost is in R&D and Manufacturing.  I don't know but maybe some big cost driver is associated with nano-manufacturing.  The new head band would me stylish and probably a more functional improvement over the other LCD headphones.  Should it be twice as much as the LCD3??  It may be twice as good.  I think the LCD3 is worth the increase over the LCD2 (I have owned both).  I can't imagine the LCD4 could be that good but they have never missed the mark before so I sure want to try them.    With a 30 Day trial period offered I would say they are putting their money where their mouth is.  I just wish they had a customer loyalty discount...........

Oct 8, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #689 of 12,048
  Its the old story if you want it thats the price, same for any product thats limited in production numbers and these will be limited.

Down here in Aus its $6,399 - ouch

https://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/product/audeze-lcd-4-reference-magnetic-planar-open-back-headphones

You think thats bad?

http://www.audioreference.co.nz/product/audeze-lcd-4-masterreferance-planar-open-back-headphone-w-double-fluxor-tcase

$7375.00  =(

Would love to demo a pair and compare to the LCD3f

Users who are viewing this thread

Back