Audeze LCD-4
Mar 10, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #9,076 of 11,994
I had both for a considerable amount of time. The Verite (open) does everything well. Ultimately when I took a serious look at my listening habits the LCD-4 was getting about 90% of my listening time. Everything the Verite did the LCD-4 did better. The Verite was easier to drive and more comfortable but my amps are more than capable of driving the LCD-4. I also rarely listen more than 2 hrs at a time so comfort was not a real issue for me. Stop and consider if your current amp is capable of driving the LCD-4 to its full potential or if not are you willing to spend the money to upgrade?
Thanks for the thoughts. I already have the LCD-4 and equipment more than powerful enough to drive it. I was considering picking up the Verite as a compliment but was concerned it wasn’t different enough.

Mar 11, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #9,077 of 11,994
I own the LCD-4 and the Verite Closed...I have never heard the Verite Open.

They are my two favorite flavors or house sounds. I would say technically they are on about the same level.

Both have tremendous 3D imaging and detail is great by both. I guess it depends on what you listen to and what you have to drive both. Mine probably get about even amount of head time. I prefer the ZMF sound with tubes, but they sound great on SS also.

I just love that neither are fatiguing to listen to...both are rather heavy, but that is no issue at all for me since all of my headphones are heavy. I must say though that ZMF has nailed the comfy thing though as they do not feel at all heavy on the head.

Whether it is worth it to own both is for you to decide.

Mar 18, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #9,079 of 11,994
Any LCD-4 owners here have any recommendations for making use of the headphones more comfortable? :scream:
Remove the original suspension pad and replace with a ZMF pilot pad

Mar 18, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #9,081 of 11,994
Looks promising! Thanks for the tip. So you remove the leather piece and wrap the carbon fiber with the pilot pad?
Thats what I have been told, I have both but never felt the need to do it myself but it should work

Mar 20, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #9,084 of 11,994
Contact Audeze and give them the serial number of the headphones and they will give you the history of the headphones including manufacture date and any other information such as the ohm version.
+1

Mar 23, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #9,086 of 11,994
Any LCD-4 owners also have an Empy? I picked up an Empy this weekend. From an audio perspective and for my use case (desktop only with powerful amps), I don't really find enough for the Empy to differentiate itself from my EQ'd LCD-4. Empy slays the LCD-4 in ergonomics and efficiency/ease of driving. LCD-4 is superior in detail and bass performance. If I were looking for use with less powerful amps or portable, I'd find more of a use case for the Empy. Anyone else have any other thoughts?

Mar 23, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #9,087 of 11,994
Any LCD-4 owners also have an Empy? I picked up an Empy this weekend. From an audio perspective and for my use case (desktop only with powerful amps), I don't really find enough for the Empy to differentiate itself from my EQ'd LCD-4. Empy slays the LCD-4 in ergonomics and efficiency/ease of driving. LCD-4 is superior in detail and bass performance. If I were looking for use with less powerful amps or portable, I'd find more of a use case for the Empy. Anyone else have any other thoughts?
Thanks for the impressions.
I always find myself in the other boat, I own an Empyrean and always wonder what the LCD-4 would bring.

Mar 23, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #9,088 of 11,994
I've had the LCD4 for about 4 years and had the Empyrean for a few months. I found it a little too dark for my taste. I too have a powerful desktop amp so that isn't an issue. The Empyrean is comfortable for sure. But I liked the detail and sparkle of the LCD4, and the mids are fantastic.

Mar 23, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #9,089 of 11,994
I've had the LCD4 for about 4 years and had the Empyrean for a few months. I found it a little too dark for my taste. I too have a powerful desktop amp so that isn't an issue. The Empyrean is comfortable for sure. But I liked the detail and sparkle of the LCD4, and the mids are fantastic.
So you found the Empyrean too dark for your taste?

Mar 23, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #9,090 of 11,994
Personally, i don't find the Empy too dark. I'm fine with it's tonality (took a short period of brain burn in coming from Susvara) and it's a very comforting, pleasing one.

I no longer like the sound of the LCD-4 when not equalized and almost sold them because of that. I suppose I could use more time for brain burn in, but coming from Susvara, the LCD-4 seems too colored for my current tastes (I have had the LCD-4 far longer than I've had Susvara and it was my TOTL HP for quite awhile). I use Oratory's EQ with the LCD-4 and because it has an almost -9 db level compensation, it makes power requirements almost up there with Susvara, which again, is not a problem for me. Also, the ergonomics of the LCD-4 (esp. weight, comfort) are also a substantial factor for many people so I can easily understand why many would not make that tradeoff for an Empy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back