Audeze LCD-4
Oct 16, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #6,181 of 11,995
Took me while to be convinced by a friend to get into Music Servers and started with the Antipodes DX, incredible change. Similarly the jump to an Aurender W20 and synced word clock paid even bigger dividends. Wish Aurender would allow Roon to run, but you can't have everything.

I had 2 LCD-4's and always went back to the 100 ohm version. Sold the other. I can't wait to hear the new version.
Are you referring to the MX4?

Oct 16, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #6,182 of 11,995
Holy moly Serial 4143xxxx!!!
For me they have the perfect treble and the other things are outstanding! I heared the 4142xxxx which Tyll had a few samples they seemed warmer but also outstanding for me and I decided to buy them. But now I use the V280 and in the shop I tested the 4142xxxx there was only my Chord Hugo with me.

This LCD4 and a prober driven SR007 SZ22xx (KHSSHv Carbon!!!) are for me far above the other TOTL like Utopia, Abyss, HEK and also the Susvara looses especially in Bass and are slow sounding against the other two.
The SR009 is too bright and too Bass shy. For me the L700 is better because of warmer more natural tonality and more meat in the Midbass!

Conclusion: LCD4 is the best headphone to date! Okay maybe the HE1 but that's it!

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #6,183 of 11,995
Have run out of amps that I can trial with the LCD4.
This is the final list in order of best in my opinion.
Based on at least a 20-30mins in store demo for each.
Some at different stores with different dac/lcd4.
I think anything the moon and above is top class.
I will give up now, will get one cma800r golden.

viva egoista 845
cma800r golden
cma800r
king, cma800i
wa5
gsx mk2
moon 430ha
v281
blu2/dave
bryston bha-1
rag
cma600i
hugo2
conductor
conductor cv2
mojo

Oct 16, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #6,184 of 11,995

viva egoista 845
cma800r golden
cma800r
king, cma800i
wa5
gsx mk2
moon 430ha
v281
blu2/dave
bryston bha-1
rag
cma600i
hugo2
conductor
conductor cv2
mojo

it's a pity that the Audio GD HE.9 is not on your list.Top notch amp with Audeze

Oct 16, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #6,185 of 11,995
it's a pity that the Audio GD HE.9 is not on your list.Top notch amp with Audeze

Sadly, there is no way I can listen to one, I used to have a NFB15, it was excellent for its price.
Also the master 7 is still one of the best dacs I have heard and I have tried the NFB6 and NFB28 many years ago with the LCD3.
Have not listened to any of the newer and more expensive stuff though but I am pretty sure they would be great.
However, I can not risk buying things unheard with the LCD4. One thing I learned is that the LCD4 sounds very different from amp to amp.
Basically, I was wanting to find something that I thought was worth the money and that I really liked, turned out to be a lot harder than I thought.
Most things sounded good for the most part but would had some niggling issue that put me off.

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #6,186 of 11,995

viva egoista 845
cma800r golden
cma800r
king, cma800i
wa5
gsx mk2
moon 430ha
v281
blu2/dave
bryston bha-1
rag
cma600i
hugo2
conductor
conductor cv2
mojo

No Auralic Taurus Mk2 either... darn this would have been sweet.

Oct 17, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #6,187 of 11,995
No Auralic Taurus Mk2 either... darn this would have been sweet.

Have listened to the Vega/Taurus many times with my LCD3, it was actually my favorite system with that headphone but I could not afford it at the time.
Never tried it with the LCD4 but would love to, they have disappeared though I can't find them anywhere, I read they might be getting updated models.
Only issue I have with the Tauras is that it has a lot of cross talk (or cross feed that it does on purpose) that could possibly collapse the sound stage of the LCD4.
One of the most important things is to preserve that sound stage, it was probably biggest with the Audeze King and smallest with the Mojo, main reason it was the worst.
The list was only the stuff I was able to try, many others I would like to have tried too but simply can't.

Oct 17, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #6,188 of 11,995
Never tried it with the LCD4 but would love to, they have disappeared though I can't find them anywhere, I read they might be getting updated models.
Auralic announced a lot of new products in the DAC and streaming range (Aries G2, Vega G2, master word clock) with some launch dates even quite far ahead, but no word on a refresh/new development in their amp line-up.
Makes me wonder indeed why the Taurus Mk2 is rather unavailable right now, and has been on quite a big sale lately. Anybody around who knows more? Or maybe some dealers might chime in?

Oct 20, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #6,189 of 11,995

I got this braided cable but it didnt Come with the 4pin xlr. Just the Jack cable. Is it available with 4pim xlr?

How big difference is there going from jack to 4 pin xlr? Is the Stock one good or should one upgrade for another cable? Like moon or heimdall? Thanks

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #6,190 of 11,995
I got this braided cable but it didnt Come with the 4pin xlr. Just the Jack cable. Is it available with 4pim xlr?

How big difference is there going from jack to 4 pin xlr? Is the Stock one good or should one upgrade for another cable? Like moon or heimdall? Thanks

There are both the 1/4" phono and 4-pin XLR terminated options - the same braided cable. I have both.

How much of a difference - well, there's none if you are plugged into a Cavalli Liquid Glass. I guess I don't understand your question - the cables are the same. The difference is how your amplifier outputs sound. If there is a difference between the balanced and the single-ended amplifier outputs, that is the difference you'll hear. The stock cables are good.

Oct 20, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #6,191 of 11,995
Ok, im using tre moon neo 430had, would think the 4-pin xlr is better, maybe audeze would change the cable for me

Oct 20, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #6,192 of 11,995
Ok, im using tre moon neo 430had, would think the 4-pin xlr is better, maybe audeze would change the cable for me
Contact Audeze, they'll replace SE cable with XLR cable for free

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #6,193 of 11,995
Hello All,
I had the opportunity to hear the LCD-4 with my rig at a recent HP gathering.
My goal was to decide whether to purchase, or not.

I've owned the LCD-X for years, since they launched (2013?).
I've owned the XC and heard the 2F and 3F at meets.

My rig is Macbook Pro/JR22 - Gen 5 USB - Gungnir MB - BHA-1.
Wywires Platinum USB, interconnects & HP cables.

I was blown away by the sound quality.
The LCD-4 sound unlike & better than the other LCD products.
I particularly noticed the mid-bass, vocal clarity/positioning, instrument clarity, and mid/treble transition.
The bass is especially interesting. I want to hear more!

Therefore, my Ether Flow are up for sale (PM if interested).

The music I heard was all 16/44.1 FLAC:
3 Doors Down Greatest Hits
Allen Toussaint Going Places (piano jazz)
Joe Bonamassa Live at Carnegie Hall (acoustic) and Blues of Desperation (electric)

Seems like I will be spending more time on this thread!

Happy Listening,
RCB

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #6,195 of 11,995

Users who are viewing this thread

Back