Audeze LCD-4
Dec 19, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #5,161 of 11,986
Hey Guys,

Over the last couple days the finish on my LCD-4's is going all strange? This never happened with my LCD-3's. It isn't scratches, it is like the clear coat finish on the wood is shrinking and splitting or something. Have any of you seen this before? Would this be covered by warranty as it isn't scratches? I'm so disappointed, and I have no clue what the hell is happening or how to stop it progressing! The headphones are stored on a velvet bag, at room temperature, so I really don't know what is causing this. Any ideas? I hope Audeze has seen this before and can provide some guidance. 

s? 

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #5,162 of 11,986
  Hey Guys,

Over the last couple days the finish on my LCD-4's is going all strange? This never happened with my LCD-3's. It isn't scratches, it is like the clear coat finish on the wood is shrinking and splitting or something. Have any of you seen this before? Would this be covered by warranty as it isn't scratches? I'm so disappointed, and I have no clue what the hell is happening or how to stop it progressing! The headphones are stored on a velvet bag, at room temperature, so I really don't know what is causing this. Any ideas? I hope Audeze has seen this before and can provide some guidance. 

s? 

I am looking at my pair and the wood is pristine so i suggest you speak to Audeze about it because that surely cannot be proper

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #5,163 of 11,986
  Hey Guys,

s? 

I am looking at my pair and the wood is pristine so i suggest you speak to Audeze about it because that surely cannot be proper

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #5,164 of 11,986
  Jumps in quality among transducers are still massive, whether you're using 320kpbs or FLAC

The unfortunate downside to owning high end equipment is that it exposes poorly recorded and mastered sources...I find myself euphoric when listening to fine sounding recordings and cringing when I listen to very old jazz recordings or poorly recorded rock is compressed to the point of overkill...to listen to MP3 on such equipment is for me at least more frustrating than enjoying even if the MP3 would indeed sound better than it would on lessor equipment

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #5,165 of 11,986
  Hey Guys,

Ouch!

That looks terrible and can't possibly be normal.

Mine, which are a bit shy of a year old now, still look the same as they did new - and they just live on a Woo stand.  I rub them with a soft cloth, with nothing on it, now and then, to get the fingerprints off, but otherwise they get no "maintenance" as such.

Hopefully Audeze make that right for you without a lot of fuss.

On that, last point I'm not so optimistic ... I'm still trying to get a coherent response from support on a much simpler issue.  The left-hand mount for the yoke on my headband has lost it's tension and over a couple of minutes wear it'll work it's way to being fully extended.  The screw that adjusts said tension doesn't move ... in or out ... so it's not something I can adjust (unlike on my LCD-2.2c).  This renders them largely unwearable.

I would think, with a $4,000 headphone, that's well inside even the first year's warranty, this would be a simple, no-questions, "we'll send you a replacement part" (either the mount, or do a field-exchange of the entire headband), but noooo ...

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #5,166 of 11,986
  From my perspective if the source isnt first rate it doesnt matter how good the HP or loudspeaker.....IMHO given a choice between a Chord Dave and a good HP or a mediocre source with a Utopia or LCD-4 etc I choose the former every time....obviously I would rather have both aspects be top shelf

In my opinion its best to aim for a well-balanced system without any severe bottlenecks and flaws. 

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #5,167 of 11,986
  Hey Guys,

i would think (hope) that anyone at Audeze who sees that would be as shocked and disappointed as you (and us) are.  and would want to correct it for you free of charge.  

Dec 19, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #5,168 of 11,986
  Hey Guys,

s? 

Don't stress, Audeze is really good at taking care of this kinda stuff. Only thing you are responsible for on your end is shipping it to them, they will repair/replace and ship it back. 

Dec 19, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #5,169 of 11,986
Hey Guys,

s? 

I think it's a great "aged" or "stressed" look but only if it was like that all over and on both cups!

Dec 19, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #5,170 of 11,986
I think it's a great "aged" or "stressed" look but only if it was like that all over and on both cups!

If you like the look so much, trade him your precious Cocobolo wood cups for them 
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #5,171 of 11,986
that is unthinkable what happened to that wood. I cannot comprehend and it doesn't compute. 

Dec 19, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #5,173 of 11,986
Hey Guys,

s? 

Funny enough, that looks like the bottom of my feet right now. Being in Vancouver with the cold snap we (that is, you and I living here) have gone from a very humid climate to a low humidity climate from the arctic air within a few days. I wonder if this extreme change in humidity has affected the sealant/wood on the cups. I'm sure Audeze will take care of you as this shouldn't happen anyhow, IMO, but that's likely the cause.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back