Audeze LCD-4
Nov 20, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #4,876 of 12,053
In all seriousness, if the stars align just right, I'm thinking about an LCD-4 and Violectric HPA V280 or V281 purchase. Curious as to what kind of improvement I'll hear over my current HE-500 (in an HE-560 housing, with hybrid pads, and the dust cover/felt removed) being driven by a Violectric HPA V181. Surely there will be less treble in dB as a whole. I'm thinking more extension at both ends and possibly a better seal on my head? Rather expensive leap, but I'm not too interested in anything else on the market at the moment. I don't think I'll sell my existing setup either. I've grown fond of it. It's always good to have a backup as I have learned the hard way earlier this year.

Care to enlighten us on what you learned the hard way?

Nov 20, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #4,877 of 12,053
  Whether its worth the price or not is subjective. I mean at this price range, usually only those who are really serious about this hobby will be willing to invest such a sum. 
Law of diminishing returns obviously applies, and ofc paying for the huge price gap comes with somewhat smaller improvements in sound. A headphone priced at 4k doesnt mean its 2x better than one priced at 2k
Personally i think its only fair to call something 'overpriced' if another headphone performs better at a lower price bracket, or if something else in the same price range outperforms it. It is definitely not a fair comparison between the 3s and the 4s, as they are not in the same price bracket.

Thank you. I don't mind the paying a premium price or I wouldn't have done it in the first place. I can only compare with my previous experiences with the headphones I tried and I'm not convinced with the sound quality at this price. When I compared the LCD 2s and the 3s it was really an improvement and was worth the extra cash. But it is not the same with the 3s and the 4s.
In the end it's the Value for money is I look for :)

Nov 20, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #4,878 of 12,053
  Thank you. I don't mind the paying a premium price or I wouldn't have done it in the first place. I can only compare with my previous experiences with the headphones I tried and I'm not convinced with the sound quality at this price. When I compared the LCD 2s and the 3s it was really an improvement and was worth the extra cash. But it is not the same with the 3s and the 4s.

Well to be fair, when i still had the 3s, i found myself getting more head time on it than the 4s. I too loved the forward midrange of it. The 4s do require proper amping to sound its best. But mind you, buying a totl amp for it like say the 600i will indeed improve the sound, but will not make it significantly better than what youre already hearing. Just my take. Cheers:)

Nov 20, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #4,879 of 12,053
  Well to be fair, when i still had the 3s, i found myself getting more head time on it than the 4s. I too loved the forward midrange of it. The 4s do require proper amping to sound its best. But mind you, buying a totl amp for it like say the 600i will indeed improve the sound, but will not make it significantly better than what youre already hearing. Just my take. Cheers:)

I do realized they need a really good amp and my Mjolnir wouldn't do justice. But like I mentioned I'm not willing to upgrade my game for now. Thank you.

Nov 20, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #4,881 of 12,053

I would have personally thought that there'd be MORE 3F fans preferring it to the 4.  They are very different beasts to my ears.  Good on you for being honest with yourself.

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #4,882 of 12,053
Hello Guys,

I spent the whole day yesterday and the whole morning today (thank you redbull) and listened the crap out of the LCD 4's. It finally boiled down to these questions.
1. While they sound really good, are they worth the price?
2. Am I having the same fun as I had with the 3F's?
3. Maybe they are 15% improvement over the LCD 3's but do I really need/notice them?

My mind says NO. They are surely a marvel but it is way overpriced. (I understand it is a flagship)
Maybe my Mjolnir doesn't power them well (I doubt that) but I don't plan on changing my amp/dac for now.
Also they are much heavier than the 3's. The CF headband do help distribute but still it is heavy :frowning2:

I owned the Mjolnir 2 at on time. While I found it to have an overall smooth character, something was missing and it wasn't a power issue. I changed tubes to some of the best out there and even listened to the LSST modules, but something was still missing. I reconnected my Burson (Soloist at the time and now the Virtuoso V2) back up and bam, their it was. Energy, authoritive bass and attack on the leading edge of instruments. My toes were once again tapping and head bopping. I'm sure other amps can and will deliver the same or perhaps even more excitement. But to me, the MJ2 just didn't let my LCDs be all they can be.

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #4,883 of 12,053

I would have personally thought that there'd be MORE 3F fans preferring it to the 4.  They are very different beasts to my ears.  Good on you for being honest with yourself.

I did initially prefer it and even posted such some weeks back, but after really giving them a chance I don't know why I preferred the 3s. The 4 are better all around just about and it just takes time to assess everything else vs the 3Fs amazing midrange. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/58gql8/is_it_ok_to_like_the_2016_lcd3f_more_than_the/

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #4,884 of 12,053
  Hello Guys,

I spent the whole day yesterday and the whole morning today (thank you redbull) and listened the crap out of the LCD 4's. It finally boiled down to these questions.
1. While they sound really good, are they worth the price?
2. Am I having the same fun as I had with the 3F's?
3. Maybe they are 15% improvement over the LCD 3's but do I really need/notice them?

My mind says NO. They are surely a marvel but it is way overpriced. (I understand it is a flagship)
Maybe my Mjolnir doesn't power them well (I doubt that) but I don't plan on changing my amp/dac for now.
Also they are much heavier than the 3's. The CF headband do help distribute but still it is heavy :frowning2:

One of my hobbies is tracking my car, I've done several track schools and high performance driving events (fancy name for a track day). Where am I going with this? Well, to this day, I am still so amazed what a professional driver or someone with more experience can do behind the wheel of my car, compared to me. The LCD-4s is a high performance machine, but unless driven well (see what I did there), they won't reach their full potential, you haven't seen what they can do yet. I've gone from the Audeze Deckard, and several amps along the way, to the amp I have now, Mogwai. I've gotten to experience how it scaled as I upgrade DAC/Amps. When I decided the LCD-4s were the headphone I enjoyed the most, I poured the rest of my resources into improving everything around them, and to this day, on certain songs, they still drop my jaw. I understand you don't want to upgrade your amp right now, then yes, its a good decision to stick with the LCD-3. However, I urge you to have an extended listen with a more powerful amp, you might change your impressions of the LCD-4s.  

Nov 20, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #4,885 of 12,053

One of my hobbies is tracking my car, I've done several track schools and high performance driving events (fancy name for a track day). Where am I going with this? Well, to this day, I am still so amazed what a professional driver or someone with more experience can do behind the wheel of my car, compared to me. The LCD-4s is a high performance machine, but unless driven well (see what I did there), they won't reach their full potential, you haven't seen what they can do yet. I've gone from the Audeze Deckard, and several amps along the way, to the amp I have now, Mogwai. I've gotten to experience how it scaled as I upgrade DAC/Amps. When I decided the LCD-4s were the headphone I enjoyed the most, I poured the rest of my resources into improving everything around them, and to this day, on certain songs, they still drop my jaw. I understand you don't want to upgrade your amp right now, then yes, its a good decision to stick with the LCD-3. However, I urge you to have an extended listen with a more powerful amp, you might change your impressions of the LCD-4s.  

Thank you. I'm most certain I need a powerful amp and the LCD 4's will shine even though I love the sound already from my Mjolnir. I currently have no money left, so I will be on a temporary hiatus from this hobby from experimenting new phones but listening to all my music instead and I'm pretty sure the LCD 3's are good enough. 

Nov 20, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #4,886 of 12,053
Thank you. I'm most certain I need a powerful amp and the LCD 4's will shine even though I love the sound already from my Mjolnir. I currently have no money left, so I will be on a temporary hiatus from this hobby from experimenting new phones but listening to all my music instead and I'm pretty sure the LCD 3's are good enough. 

What if if you sell all your cans, keep LCD4 and get yourself an Elear?
I am confident that your amp + LCD4 + Elear will keep you away from chasing new phones for the next 10 years.
Just keep a very little cash to change ear pads once every 3 years.

This is what I will do, maybe will close my head-fi account :D

Nov 20, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #4,888 of 12,053
Hy headband that I purchased recently for my X's was correct, my LCD 4's will be here tomorrow and I'll let you know

Nov 20, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #4,889 of 12,053
Hey guys,

So was it confirmed that audeze changed the carbon fiber headband recently to not touch the leather to the carbon fiber?

I got my LCD4 on Fri, the headband touches the carbon fibre!
I will contact Audeze.

Honestly, I don't feel any hot spots or any discomfort at all related to contact spots between leather and carbon fibre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back