Audeze LCD-4
Jun 1, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #3,961 of 12,019
all i can say is I require about 6-7 clicks more volume of my Moon neo 430 on the LCD-4 than the HEK......the LCD-4 is a beast to drive but a great sounding can....I go back and forth between my HEK and LCD-4 and when I listen to one i say I like it best and then when I switch over to the other I say I like it best....

This is correct.I too have both the LCD-4 and the HE-1K and the LCD-4 requires more power to drive them than the HE-1K.
This happens to me too as I switch between headphone . The one I like best is always the one on my head.
Now I went and complicated matters more by adding the Sennheiser 800s to the mix. All 3 are great in their own way and on the same level IMO.

Thanks. Seems my LCD-4 is performing in line with everyone else's. Think I will check again with my dealer whether he loaned my a 100ohm or 200ohm model (he said it was 200ohm).

Jun 1, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #3,962 of 12,019
Thanks. Seems my LCD-4 is performing in line with everyone else's. Think I will check again with my dealer whether he loaned my a 100ohm or 200ohm model (he said it was 200ohm).

For now most dealers only have 200ohm version available to demo / for sell. There is no big difference in between the 100ohm and 200ohm version in terms of sound quality. The 200ohm LCD4 require lot more power and control than the 100ohm version tho. This could cause some amplifiers drive 100ohm LCD4 very well but could not drive the 200ohm LCD4 as good. 

As always, for such expensive headphone, try it 1st before you place your order. :)

Jun 1, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #3,963 of 12,019
Hey guys, 

We have a limited time special on Audeze LCD-4 headphones right now. If you order headphones with us, you'll receive a FREE 8-wire Echo+ Series custom cable ($600 value), in addition to FREE Shipping (with USA).

http://www.plussoundaudio.com/headphones/audeze.html.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Jun 1, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #3,966 of 12,019
Jun 1, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #3,967 of 12,019
  The amp in the HDVD800 is pretty good. It is specially made for high Ohms headphones like the HD800, work well with LCD 3F (110 Ohm), maybe not the best pairing with LCD X (22 Ohm) IMO.

I don’t know how it pair with LCD 4, but I will try some day. 

I owned the HDVA600 (same amp as what's in the HDVD800) for a long while.  It worked fine with the HD800, but not with the LCD-X.  I sold it in search of one SS amp that could drive both cans. When paired with the HD800, the HDVA600 had a very smooth, refined tone.  Would be interested in whether the HDVD800 can drive the LCD-4 properly.

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #3,970 of 12,019
  I actually bought every headphone I ever owned blind. Finding a shop with high end phones is pretty difficult in general or requires a long trip for many.

Fully agree, even living in Nashville music city USA.  I learned more at the headphone meets, and from PMing other Head-Fiers who own and love the equipment.  I do agree that you need to acquire data/facts prior to purchasing any equipment related to this hobby...it's just in your best interest.  

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #3,971 of 12,019
I actually bought every headphone I ever owned blind. Finding a shop with high end phones is pretty difficult in general or requires a long trip for many.

To be honest it is the best way I do this too. I think it is hard to make picture from meets or in headphone shop, it is not enough judge somthing. Best way to know headphone is own them at least for 3 weeks and than I know if it is for me or no.
But if I would have chance to go on meets I would go imediately but not live in US, if something impressed it is good guide of course.

Jun 4, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #3,972 of 12,019
I tend to agree that one cannot really pass judgment on high end equipment in a few minutes in a noisy environment etc....i need to spend time with cans to be able to tell if it is for me or not...i need to play different music on different equipment in different moods etc.....

Jun 5, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #3,973 of 12,019
Sometimes things are immediately obvious though - especially between headphones.  Normally my thoughts on headphones are the same after 30 seconds as they are for any amount of time if you can get a side by side comparison.  Amps and dacs need a bit more time though.

Jun 5, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #3,974 of 12,019
I guess you are both right. Sometimes things just seems instantly obvious and I can dismiss it if I don’t like it. If it sounds very good I will try to take it home for deeper evaluation in my own audio system or buy it and sell it if not as good as I thought. Long time listening can really show flaws and sound aspect that is not so instantly obvious with unknown headphones in unknown audio system, especially if the music that is played is also unfamiliar. The rest of the system will also matter. 

Jun 5, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #3,975 of 12,019
Sometimes things are immediately obvious though - especially between headphones.  Normally my thoughts on headphones are the same after 30 seconds as they are for any amount of time if you can get a side by side comparison.  Amps and dacs need a bit more time though.

I indeed agree with this. Headphones are normally easy to hear the sound quality and signature differences, compares with Amp and DAC. I found DAC is very hard to locate sound quality or signature. It requires a reference amp to judge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back