Audeze LCD-4
Apr 25, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #3,646 of 12,053

Congrats.  great to have such a strong wide-ranging collection of headphones.

Paul

Well, I didnt buy the HD800S, so I only own the Abyss and LCD-4, but I have owned a lot of different headphones in the past including the HE1000, HD800, LCD-4, PS1000, and I'm pretty happy with my two can set up right now. I could definitely see an HD800S in my future, they were that impressive, especially for what is now considered a "decent" price. 

Apr 25, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #3,647 of 12,053
Hey Guys,

I got to test out some really cool cans today, mainly focusing on the HD800S, LCD-XC, and LCD-4. I thought I would post some impressions for those who may be interested. 

HD800S: I tried these first. WOW! I used to own the regular HD800 and these are a clear improvement. They take all of the good about the HD800 and keep it, and add in a bit something extra. They are warmer, have more bass, and have better treble than the originals. I wouldn’t say the treble annoyed me on the original HD800 like it does some people, it never did, but the S’s treble is just smoother, and more refined. The soundstage and imaging are fantastic, just like the originals. Tall and very wide. I ALMOST bought these, they were that god damn good. With the prices headphones are commanding these days in the high end market, these are a god damn bargain. Highly recommended listen if you get a chance. Of course, fit and finish are typical sennheiser. Wonderful. I can’t say enough good about these headphones. 

LCD-XC: I tried these out next. It was like there was a veil over the treble coming from the HD800S. Very “audeze” sounding headphones. If you like Audeze, and want a closed back headphone, you could do a lot worse than these. However, I find them hard to recommend, as you could have the Ether C a bit cheaper, and they are a better headphone. I didn’t spend too long with these cans as I knew they weren’t for me almost as soon as I put them on my head. Great bass though. 

LCD-4: I was trying to be skeptical of these cans, save money etc.. I wanted to buy the HD800S, they were half the price and bloody good. However, I was actually really impressed by the LCD-4 once I got a few songs in. Its like they took my LCD-3’s which I used to own, made them comfier (the new headband is good, they are still heavy, but good) and mixed them with the original HD800. There is a bigger soundstage than the LCD-3’s, not as big as the HD800, but definitely improved over the LCD-3. They retain the kick and punch of the LCD-3’s though, which is pretty cool. The bass is great, extends nice and low, and is pretty much perfect in quantity in my opinion, but I like a fair amount of bass. YMMV. Tyll has beef with the treble of the LCD-4. Others probably do as well. I don’t. I’m not a professional. I can’t be arsed to listen for a valley at 7khz and a peak at 10. I just don’t give a ****. They sound dope. The mids are warm and juicy. To say I am stoked on the LCD-4 is an understatement.  Also fit and finish wise, very good. Very pretty. Kind of a cherry on top of the superb sound.

Abyss: I like the Abyss. I have posted impressions before. I’ll keep this short. They aren’t as comfy as the LCD-4 and HD800S. They are totally different. 100% different than any other headphone I have tried. I’m glad I own them. Many hate them, I love them. 

Conclusion: If you don’t have love for the LCD-4 and Audeze sound, or just like the original HD800, try the HD800S. What a god damn great headphone. If I had the money I would have bought them. The LCD-4 is like the LCD-3 on steroids for lack of a better analogy. Great soundstage, not as open and airy and huge as the Abyss, but better than any previous Audeze, and more similar to the HD800 than I was expecting. All in all, a cool day for headphones. Any questions just ask, hope these impressions help someone on the hunt for new cans.

Apr 25, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #3,648 of 12,053
Very awesome comparison of some top-tier headphones my friend!
beerchug.gif

Apr 25, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #3,649 of 12,053
  Hey Guys,

I got to test out some really cool cans today, mainly focusing on the HD800S, LCD-XC, and LCD-4. I thought I would post some impressions for those who may be interested. 

HD800S: I tried these first. WOW! I used to own the regular HD800 and these are a clear improvement. They take all of the good about the HD800 and keep it, and add in a bit something extra. They are warmer, have more bass, and have better treble than the originals. I wouldn’t say the treble annoyed me on the original HD800 like it does some people, it never did, but the S’s treble is just smoother, and more refined. The soundstage and imaging are fantastic, just like the originals. Tall and very wide. I ALMOST bought these, they were that god damn good. With the prices headphones are commanding these days in the high end market, these are a god damn bargain. Highly recommended listen if you get a chance. Of course, fit and finish are typical sennheiser. Wonderful. I can’t say enough good about these headphones. 

LCD-XC: I tried these out next. It was like there was a veil over the treble coming from the HD800S. Very “audeze” sounding headphones. If you like Audeze, and want a closed back headphone, you could do a lot worse than these. However, I find them hard to recommend, as you could have the Ether C a bit cheaper, and they are a better headphone. I didn’t spend too long with these cans as I knew they weren’t for me almost as soon as I put them on my head. Great bass though. 

LCD-4: I was trying to be skeptical of these cans, save money etc.. I wanted to buy the HD800S, they were half the price and bloody good. However, I was actually really impressed by the LCD-4 once I got a few songs in. Its like they took my LCD-3’s which I used to own, made them comfier (the new headband is good, they are still heavy, but good) and mixed them with the original HD800. There is a bigger soundstage than the LCD-3’s, not as big as the HD800, but definitely improved over the LCD-3. They retain the kick and punch of the LCD-3’s though, which is pretty cool. The bass is great, extends nice and low, and is pretty much perfect in quantity in my opinion, but I like a fair amount of bass. YMMV. Tyll has beef with the treble of the LCD-4. Others probably do as well. I don’t. I’m not a professional. I can’t be arsed to listen for a valley at 7khz and a peak at 10. I just don’t give a ****. They sound dope. The mids are warm and juicy. To say I am stoked on the LCD-4 is an understatement.  Also fit and finish wise, very good. Very pretty. Kind of a cherry on top of the superb sound.

Abyss: I like the Abyss. I have posted impressions before. I’ll keep this short. They aren’t as comfy as the LCD-4 and HD800S. They are totally different. 100% different than any other headphone I have tried. I’m glad I own them. Many hate them, I love them. 

Conclusion: If you don’t have love for the LCD-4 and Audeze sound, or just like the original HD800, try the HD800S. What a god damn great headphone. If I had the money I would have bought them. The LCD-4 is like the LCD-3 on steroids for lack of a better analogy. Great soundstage, not as open and airy and huge as the Abyss, but better than any previous Audeze, and more similar to the HD800 than I was expecting. All in all, a cool day for headphones. Any questions just ask, hope these impressions help someone on the hunt for new cans.

Very nice review man. And answred most of my questions, as I'm looking forward to get a HD800S to be the only 2 headphones to keep with the LCD4. 

PS: noticed you are using the black stock cable for LCD4, I would say you can expect a big improvement if you replace the stock cable to some other nice after market cables. Even the blue stock cable is better than it imo... LOL

Apr 25, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #3,650 of 12,053

Very nice review man. And answred most of my questions, as I'm looking forward to get a HD800S to be the only 2 headphones to keep with the LCD4. 

PS: noticed you are using the black stock cable for LCD4, I would say you can expect a big improvement if you replace the stock cable to some other nice after market cables. Even the blue stock cable is better than it imo... LOL

Mine came with the single ended blue cable. I'm going to see if Audeze would do a switch out to the balanced one for me, that would be cool. If not I'll probably look into a cable from Norne audio or something. Till then Im just using the original Audeze balanced cable, and happily so. 

Apr 25, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #3,652 of 12,053
  What amp did you use ufospls2?

Just my little Geek Out V2 and Auralic Taurus MK2. The Geek Out does surprisingly well for its size and cost. I'm really happy with it. 

Apr 25, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #3,653 of 12,053
Well this is fortunate. I own the V2+ as well and am considering buying the LCD-4, but I didn't know how good the pairing would be. I find the V2+ a little bit on the analytical side compared to the previous Virtuoso / Classic, I had to change my cables to get it musical again. And that's with the LCD-2 darker sound.

So I'm wondering if the more neutral signature of the LCD-4 would bring it back towards the analytical side...

I believe that to get the added transparency,soundstage and reduced grain with the V2+, the bass authority, sparkle and just overall energy of the Soloist was pulled back a bit. Leading edge attack and speed are not quite as present as on the Soloist. I believe it was a good trade off but others "may" interpret the sound as being a bit more analytical. If one is to call it analytical, it would be so only when compared with the Soloist/Conductor/Virtuoso. It's still very musical to my ear when paired with both my LCD-4 and Hifiman HE-1k.
Bass is slightly more shy than the Soliost but I wouldn't call it bass shy. It still slams pretty good, more so than many other amps that I've auditioned.

Apr 25, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #3,654 of 12,053
All the world best headphones!

Cheapest possible amp...

Apr 25, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #3,657 of 12,053
The little geek one

Don't be fooled by its size, it puts out a 1000mw in high gain mode, and sounds super. I mean I also used my Auralic Taurus, which is great, but when I'm travelling, the tiny little geek out V2 is a great solution. Price doesn't always =performance in this hobby. 

Apr 25, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #3,658 of 12,053
People are saying that full size desktop amps aren't enough to power the LCD-4 but u say a geek will?

Apr 25, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #3,659 of 12,053
People are saying that full size desktop amps aren't enough to power the LCD-4 but u say a geek will?

People say a lot of things on this forum.

So many people just can't or won't accept the fact that a $4k or $5k headphone doesn't necessarily need a $4k or $5k amp.  (I was one of those people once upon a time) But I bet none of those people have actually tried it either.  The ifi idsd micro (for example) is a portable dac/amp combo and can put out up to 4w a channel.  Does every bitrate of pcm/dsd/dxd bit-perfect and is a brilliant piece of kit but I'd be willing to bet that people automatically ignore it because it's not big and expensive enough to pique their interest.

Apr 25, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #3,660 of 12,053
I've just read that even powerful amps ain't cutting it with the lid-4 so I'm surprised some tiny amp can do the job

Users who are viewing this thread

Back