Audeze LCD-4
Apr 20, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #3,586 of 11,994
Amps certainly have tonal signatures of their own, no one can debate that....how well that matches with the LCD's signature will be very subjective and up to the listener.  Speaker or headphone wise, there is a clear difference of having an amp that controls the drivers with ease with a bigger overhead/headroom.  If you have an amp that is borderline on certain volumes you're listening at, the struggled sound from drivers is very obvious and extremely dangerous to the drivers themselves when dealing with clipping.  That said, there definitely isn't one right amp for the LCD-4....it will depend on the listener's preference and certainly there are plenty of amps that have ample headroom for the LCD-4....I like the GS-X because it's basically colorless and allows me to listen to my source.....that was the reason for me to sell the LAu even though I liked the Cavalli signature.....it was a tough decision but I just felt like the GS-X would be more versatile in the long run.

Apr 20, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #3,587 of 11,994
I like my Moon Neo 430HAD for the same reason. No distortion and no color.

Apr 20, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #3,588 of 11,994
Quick Question for those of you that are pairing the Violectric V281 with the LCD-4. How much pre-gain are you using if any?

I had previously had my v281 set to unity gain, which I didn't ultimately find incredibly impressive. I mentioned in a previous post that this caused me to favor my Auralic Taurus instead.

However, I just increased the pre-gain to +12. While I have less fine tuning ability (can't push it past 10 oclock or it will get too loud), the sound has really opened up.

I'm wondering if this is placebo and I'm inadvertantly playing it louder, or this provides additional power which is the cause of the change in sound.

Anyone else have this experience?

Apr 20, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #3,589 of 11,994
  Quick Question for those of you that are pairing the Violectric V281 with the LCD-4. How much pre-gain are you using if any?

I had previously had my v281 set to unity gain, which I didn't ultimately find incredibly impressive. I mentioned in a previous post that this caused me to favor my Auralic Taurus instead.

However, I just increased the pre-gain to +12. While I have less fine tuning ability (can't push it past 10 oclock or it will get too loud), the sound has really opened up.

I'm wondering if this is placebo and I'm inadvertantly playing it louder, or this provides additional power which is the cause of the change in sound.

Also as a follow up to my previous question. I use the v281 as a pre-amp for my stax 717 as it gives me remote control volume. If you have the pre-amp setting set to pre-fader (so I can control volume with the v281), does the pre-gain dip switches also effect the line level outputs (If I use this configuration want to make sure the signal isn't too hot for my stax amp).

Apr 21, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #3,590 of 11,994

Late night listening and talking to myself on this thread - literally.

I went back and forth again with the Taurus and V281 witht the LCD 4. Truly, to me, the Taurus is still far superior with this phone. Everyone else whose chimed in has indicated a preference for the v281.as I've trsted tested these with a variety of Dac with the same result, either my ears are very different than everyone else's or my LCD 4s are.

Anyone else pairing LCD4s with a Taurus? I trust my ears and can't believe noone else is using this exceptional pairing.

Apr 21, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #3,591 of 11,994

After you set the gain to +12, compares with the Taurus, does the V281 with +12db gain satisfy you like the taurus?

Apr 21, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #3,592 of 11,994
After you set the gain to +12, compares with the Taurus, does the V281 with +12db gain satisfy you like the taurus?

It felt closer, but after listening for a couple hours I was getting a little bored again. Swapped in the Taurus, now I don't want to go to sleep and just keep listening.

The Taurus sounds like a brighter amp, and to me just as authoritative in the lower frequencies. The treble just feels right with the Taurus but too rolled off with the v281. likewise, the LCD XC are brighter (or at least have less bass in comparison, giving the illusion of more brightness), so they sound better with the v281. This is also while I've felt the th900s perfect amp was the v281 because it takes what can sometimes be slightly shrill highs and tames them (and why i assume the th900 would sound similar out of the v200).

I love the Taurus pairing with the LCD 4. I'm happy that Ive found something I really enjoy so much - I'm just surprised no one else finds it so appealing. But I'm exhausted, I have to wake up for work in 5 hours, but can't bring myself to take these off :) that's always been my litmus test ....

Apr 21, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #3,593 of 11,994
Amps certainly have tonal signatures of their own, no one can debate that....how well that matches with the LCD's signature will be very subjective and up to the listener.  Speaker or headphone wise, there is a clear difference of having an amp that controls the drivers with ease with a bigger overhead/headroom.  If you have an amp that is borderline on certain volumes you're listening at, the struggled sound from drivers is very obvious and extremely dangerous to the drivers themselves when dealing with clipping.  That said, there definitely isn't one right amp for the LCD-4....it will depend on the listener's preference and certainly there are plenty of amps that have ample headroom for the LCD-4....I like the GS-X because it's basically colorless and allows me to listen to my source.....that was the reason for me to sell the LAu even though I liked the Cavalli signature.....it was a tough decision but I just felt like the GS-X would be more versatile in the long run.

that's definitely a matter of ongoing debate as is the notion of synergy between audio components. however, the causal relationship between an amp being overdriven and clipping isn't.

Apr 21, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #3,594 of 11,994
It felt closer, but after listening for a couple hours I was getting a little bored again. Swapped in the Taurus, now I don't want to go to sleep and just keep listening.

The Taurus sounds like a brighter amp, and to me just as authoritative in the lower frequencies. The treble just feels right with the Taurus but too rolled off with the v281. likewise, the LCD XC are brighter (or at least have less bass in comparison, giving the illusion of more brightness), so they sound better with the v281. This is also while I've felt the th900s perfect amp was the v281 because it takes what can sometimes be slightly shrill highs and tames them (and why i assume the th900 would sound similar out of the v200).

I love the Taurus pairing with the LCD 4. I'm happy that Ive found something I really enjoy so much - I'm just surprised no one else finds it so appealing. But I'm exhausted, I have to wake up for work in 5 hours, but can't bring myself to take these off :) that's always been my litmus test ....

I figure out why you love the taurus and LCD4 combo. It seems that you are more like a bright sounding lover. The taurus works great for people who love bright sound.

The V281 drive my LCD4 with original cable sounds a bit boring to my taste. But after i swap to a pure silver cable and balance out from the V281. Everything sounds right. I love the sound of this combo now. And btw i only use -12db gain on the V281. High gain will sound good on the piano and bass punch but the vocal seems a bit reccess. IMO.

Apr 21, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #3,595 of 11,994
Been using 2/3 of Tyll's EQ with my Moon Neo 430HAD and the LCD-4 shines like a star.

Helps bring out a bit more of the mids and rumble the drivers with bass. (Yes, I am a basshead, but it still sounds very accurate.)

These headphones bring tears to my eyes.

Apr 21, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #3,596 of 11,994

Update: i tried the +12db gain setting on my V281 with LCD4 single end out. (I have not receive my DHC silver complement 4 yet). I have to agreed with you, the sound is super amazing and finally get a lot more open and the vocal is lot more forward now. Volume knob constantly sits at between 8 o'clock to 9 o'clock. And this result is only done with crappy xlr interconnects and USB cables!

I believe the sound will be a lot more amazing after i receive my Kimber KS2436 USB cable, my Audience AU24 SX XLR interconnect cable and my DHC silver comp 4. :)

So after these audit, i concluded 1 thing, the LCD4 is a power consume monster.

PS: i wanna try the LCD4 with Taurus MK2 now, but the reason that i chose V281 over the Taurus is because the V281 obviously sounds more detail, more dynamic and more smooth than the Taurus, and is in the same level like GSX MK2. The Taurus sounds great but also a bit harsh sounding at some of my songs. The V281 and Taurus both awesome enough to be a reference amp.

Apr 21, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #3,598 of 11,994
  The new 200 ohm version felt very 2d compared to the holographic 3d that I remembered with the 100ohm version. Not sure if it was narrower than the 100 ohm version, but it felt like it without the 3d perspective. They both sound great, but the 100ohm version made it feel like you would walk around inside the sound stage and look behind the band members and walk between. The 200ohm version felt the same as the 2/3/X, nice, but 2d in comparison.

To be clear, the 200ohm 4 sounded great and is my favorite between the Abyss/4/009/HEK/etc, but it makes me want to hear the 100ohm version again to see if it was just my imagination.

This is exactly the worry I have.
I should explain - I have the 100 ohm LCD-4 and I rate it as the finest HP I have ever owned.
Mine work just fine - so the dilemma of having them changed to 200 ohm V2 and sounding "worse" or leaving them as they are and hoping they don't break. Having said that, in the UK, the distributor hasn't started doing the recall as yet, so time is on my side. I have had the email from Audeze as I did register them online.

I guess I am hoping to see more direct A/B comparisons done between the 100 & 200 ohm versions too. On 240 pages on this thread, there is precious comment of this exact nature. Maybe those who make the jump to 200 ohm will say theirs is better (as Audeze) have said in order to save face?? I hope to get a fresh pair of 200 ohm LCD-4's from my dealer so that proper A/B tasting can be performed. When I get them if any other LCD-4 owners in the S/E or London fancy a mini get together pls PM me.

Whilst writing, I should add that it has been an interesting thread, noting people's opinions of the (largely V1 100 ohm) LCD-4 against other Audeze HP's and the competition. 
I had the LCD-2, LCD-X both were "ok" but not spectacular. Both had failures though..... that's why I didn't go to the LCD-3. I felt I had had enough of Audeze and their shoddy build quality.
However, when I actually got the hear the LCD-4 I had to put prior experiences to one side and have a pair.

I, like all other owners, are obviously very disappointed that failures are again blighting the ownership experience. There are 2 ways of looking at this.
1. Audeze have lousy build quality, quality control, assembly, etc - and yes it isn't acceptable on a flagship product of this value.
2. That said - they are pushing the boundaries of design and manufacture, so a degree of trade off is inevitable. Making omelettes requires broken eggs.
3. So far, they seem to be saying and doing the right things to get the problem fixed.

As well as the LCD-4, I also own, and enjoy the HE-1000, HD800s and for travel a paid of Sine's - that have yet to break. The Sine's pair with an iPhone into Mojo.
At home I use the Moon 430HA and a Questyle CMA600i. I also have a DNA Stratus coming this/next month.

I have had nearly all the TOTL headphones out there - including Stax, up to and including 009's which I feel are beaten easily by the LCD-4's. I have heard the Abyss - they didn't do anything more me in terms of sound, looks, fit, and cost! So they are a no go.

I feel with the LCD-4 I have reached the top of the tree. Such a shame they have the failures and that possibly the 200 ohm V2 model/fix doesn't sound quite as good as the original LCD-4.
Any more thoughts would be most welcome!

Cheers,
Lee

Apr 21, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #3,599 of 11,994

I love the Taurus pairing with the LCD 4. I'm happy that Ive found something I really enjoy so much - I'm just surprised no one else finds it so appealing. But I'm exhausted, I have to wake up for work in 5 hours, but can't bring myself to take these off
smily_headphones1.gif
that's always been my litmus test ....

I figure out why you love the taurus and LCD4 combo. It seems that you are more like a bright sounding lover. The taurus works great for people who love bright sound.

The V281 drive my LCD4 with original cable sounds a bit boring to my taste. But after i swap to a pure silver cable and balance out from the V281. Everything sounds right. I love the sound of this combo now. And btw i only use -12db gain on the V281. High gain will sound good on the piano and bass punch but the vocal seems a bit reccess. IMO.

I found the V200 was very responsive to silver interconnects, DAC upgrades, better power-supply, etc.  I'm sure the V281 would also deliver with upgraded inputs.

Apr 21, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #3,600 of 11,994

I love the Taurus pairing with the LCD 4. I'm happy that Ive found something I really enjoy so much - I'm just surprised no one else finds it so appealing. But I'm exhausted, I have to wake up for work in 5 hours, but can't bring myself to take these off
smily_headphones1.gif
that's always been my litmus test ....

I'm going to give the Taurus and LCD-4 a go in a few hours. Lets see how it goes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back