Audeze LCD-4
Mar 18, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #2,851 of 11,994
I've concluded that some people are either deaf, aren't level matching or just not spending enough time with these cans.

I see it all the time. People switch from one can to the next at different volumes and then Equal Loudness Contours take over the review process.

I don't know how anyone could prefer the LCD-3 over the LCD-4. I mean there is just NO CONTEST between the two. None. The LCD-4 is superior to the LCD-3 in every measurable way (I'm talking about LCD-4 v2) and I have owned my LCD-3 pair for now many many moons.

The 007 is a very dark headphone and certainly not in the same league as the HE1K and LCD-4. Eee gad no.

The 009 is GREAT but I prefer the HE1K. I admit, that is personal preference - mainly because the HE1K has a much bigger headstage and are on par with respect to treble airyness. Both do bass wonderfully.

The Abyss would be a wonderful headphone if it wasn't for a) it's hefty price tag b) the treble which is way too bright and c) see a. Note, I was one of the first to spend time with the Abyss when it was premiered at the NYAS a few years back.

Seems more likely that people just have different preferences.

And, if there is no contest between the LCD-3 and 4, then it would seem one shouldn't need much time at all with them to figure that out.

Hyperbole and arrogance don't have much place in a subjective evaluation.

Mar 18, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #2,852 of 11,994
I've concluded that some people are either deaf, aren't level matching or just not spending enough time with these cans.

I see it all the time. People switch from one can to the next at different volumes and then Equal Loudness Contours take over the review process.

I don't know how anyone could prefer the LCD-3 over the LCD-4. I mean there is just NO CONTEST between the two. None. The LCD-4 is superior to the LCD-3 in every measurable way (I'm talking about LCD-4 v2) and I have owned my LCD-3 pair for now many many moons.

The 007 is a very dark headphone and certainly not in the same league as the HE1K and LCD-4. Eee gad no.

The 009 is GREAT but I prefer the HE1K. I admit, that is personal preference - mainly because the HE1K has a much bigger headstage and are on par with respect to treble airyness. Both do bass wonderfully.

The Abyss would be a wonderful headphone if it wasn't for a) it's hefty price tag b) the treble which is way too bright and c) see a. Note, I was one of the first to spend time with the Abyss when it was premiered at the NYAS a few years back.

If you pick apart what the 4 is doing vs the 3 you will almost always pick the 4s, if you just forget all that and listen to just the music and how it moves you, the 3s ,with their renowned coloring , can and often do sound better with certain genres! If you slowly sip the wine, you'll get it eventually. Have we been listening to crap all these years via the 3s? No. They have been critically acclaimed over the years for a reason and that reason still applies today. Yes, it's different and its unique.

You will also get arguments about the sr-007 not being in the same league if you posted that statement in that thread.

Again, this is not to say that the 4s are not a great headphone. Over priced, yes.

I am also loving my Hifiman HE-1k .

Mar 18, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #2,853 of 11,994
well said torq.

i thought that the sr-007 played in the same league as the lcd-4 generally when i compared them. however, it did have a darker sound signature and looser bass. that said, it's treble presentation was unforced and it's the most comfortable headphone i've worn. very well suited to long listening sessions i would think. i also think that it plays in the same league as the he-1000 fwiw.

Mar 18, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #2,854 of 11,994
Still on the fence, and still loving my LCD-X and HD800.

Thanks all for your impressions and comments!!  It's what makes Head-Fi so cool a site.

Mar 18, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #2,855 of 11,994

Totally agree. I have no clue either how some feel the LCD-3 sound like the new LCD-4. The LCD-4 is the most superior headphone I've ever heard.

Mar 18, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #2,856 of 11,994
Again, this is not to say that the 4s are not a great headphone. Over priced, yes.

I am also loving my Hifiman HE-1k .

By that rationale, all high end summit phones are overpriced, which in a way they are because it's more about perceived value to these headphone companies. But, and I would never spend $8K on a pair of headphones, I'd sooner pay $8K for the LCD4 than $5.2K for the Abyss.

Which do you prefer between the 4 and the HE1K? There are so many mixed opinions on the HE1K, some love it, some hate it. One of Tyll's friends, Bob Katz, in the industry heard the HE1K and totally hated it. It wasn't even a contender and he picked the LCD3 as #2 and the HE1K as #7.

Mar 18, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #2,857 of 11,994
yes really. i couldn't envisage listening to the abyss for eight hours straight either for the same reason.

But the LCD4 are at least much more comfortable than the Abyss and any of the other LCD phones due to the combo carbon fiber and leather headbands.

It's hard to listen to any phone for 8 hours straight, which I never do except maybe once every 12-18 months. Other than that my sessions last 15-60 minutes at most.

Mar 18, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #2,858 of 11,994
i remember the abyss being comfortable despite its weight, which was well distributed. i believe that it actually weighs less than the lcd-4.

right - so what you're really saying is that you never listen to any headphone for eight hours straight except maybe once every 12-18 months. thanks for clarifying.

Mar 18, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #2,859 of 11,994
Which do you prefer between the 4 and the HE1K? There are so many mixed opinions on the HE1K, some love it, some hate it. One of Tyll's friends, Bob Katz, in the industry heard the HE1K and totally hated it. It wasn't even a contender and he picked the LCD3 as #2 and the HE1K as #7.

I have to totally disagree with Bob on this one. Tyll feels just the opposite so go figure.

I love them both. I can see myself gravitating to the HE-1k for long, relaxing listening sessions. They are just so easy on the ears and are very conducive to long term listening by virtue of their weight and laid back sound signature.still resolving and can kick it nicely when called for.

I would grab the 4s when I really want to really want it all. Power, punch, resolving abilities and that more in your face approach to listening. For my more active and energetic moods.

Mar 18, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #2,860 of 11,994
Totally agree. I have no clue either how some feel the LCD-3 sound like the new LCD-4. The LCD-4 is the most superior headphone I've ever heard.

I don't recall anyone saying that the 3s sound like the 4s. I've read some say that the 4s sound a lot like the LCD-X.
I personally am of the opinion that the LCD-4 is a perfected LCD-X /LCD-2 combo. (No offense to those who think the X sounds as good or better. I'll respect that opinion). I dont think it sounds much like the LCD-3f other than that basic Audeze house sound that all the Lcds possess.

Mar 18, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #2,861 of 11,994
Not that you guys don't know what you're talking about but clearly, this guy does. http://www.head-fi.org/products/audeze-lcd-4/reviews

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #2,863 of 11,994
I don't recall anyone saying that the 3s sound like the 4s. I've read some say that the 4s sound a lot like the LCD-X.
I personally am of the opinion that the LCD-4 is a perfected LCD-X /LCD-2 combo. (No offense to those who think the X sounds as good or better. I'll respect that opinion). I dont think it sounds much like the LCD-3f other than that basic Audeze house sound that all the Lcds possess.

That's impossible...the X is perfect 
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #2,864 of 11,994
I'm 40-plus pages into this thread and don't know if I can keep going. I've never seen such unseemly whining as I've found here, regarding the price of the LCD-4.

Look, I drive a newish $42,000 Mercedes C-300 4-Matic. It's a nice car. I'm happy with it.

Now, do you think that when I heard that the price of the new Mercedes Maybach S600 is $190,000, I got angry? Do you think I headed over to the Mercedes forum to complain about how "ridiculous" and "greedy" Mercedes is being? Do you think I felt "betrayed"?

I run a business too, just like the good folks at Audeze. You'd better believe that for my top product — nay, for all my products — I charge what the market will bear. Consumers are 100% free to buy it — or to vote with their wallets, buying my more economical offerings instead. Or they can go to the cheaper competition. Good on them. Long live choice. Long live free markets. Entry level value or top-of-the-line quality/exclusivity, it's all good.

If you don't want to plunk down the money for an SR-009, an Abyss, an LCD-4, or for the new $55,000 Sennheiser Orpheus, that's fine. That's your right as a consumer.

Just as you can make a wise choice by staying at the Hilton instead of the Four Seasons (I know I do). It makes no sense to get mad at the Four Seasons for not having rooms that cost $150 a night.

In the real world, these options can and do co-exist quite happily. It's no different in the world of personal audio. Whiners, deal already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back