Audeze LCD-3 vs Fostex TH-900?
Jul 4, 2013 at 9:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 356

Mediahound

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm trying to decide between the Audeze LCD-3 and the Fostex TH-900.  Both are in the same price range (expensive high end can)s.

The amp/DAC will be the Burson Conductor.

I enjoy good bass and midrange and smooth highs. I have heard the Fostex may have a better soundstage than the Audeze, despite the fact they are closed cans. 

Thoughts?

Jul 4, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #2 of 356
I own both and prefer (by a reasonable margin), the technically more proficient LCD-3s. Both however should sound great out of your Burson Conductor. Imaging wise, they are about the same, but the LCD-3s do pull ahead on my GS-X MKII in that regard.

Your comments of good bass and midrange and smooth highs seems to fit the LCD-3s better as well. I enjoy my TH-900s very much as a closed headphone when isolation is needed...and if it is, then they are a top choice too!

Jul 4, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #3 of 356
Quote:
I own both and prefer (by a reasonable margin), the technically more proficient LCD-3s. Both however should sound great out of your Burson Conductor. Imaging wise, they are about the same, but the LCD-3s do pull ahead on my GS-X MKII in that regard.

Your comments of good bass and midrange and smooth highs seems to fit the LCD-3s better as well. I enjoy my TH-900s very much as a closed headphone when isolation is needed...and if it is, then they are a top choice too!

Could you please elaborate what you mean by "technically more proficient."? If I ever get another full size HP it is also between the th900 and lcd3 for me. Your insights, as someone with tons of experience here on HF, is much appreciated.

Jul 4, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #4 of 356
Quote:
Could you please elaborate what you mean by "technically more proficient."? If I ever get another full size HP it is also between the th900 and lcd3 for me. Your insights, as someone with tons of experience here on HF, is much appreciated.

Have a look at the "flatter FR response" of the LCD-3s:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD3Rev2sn2613375circa2012.pdf
vs. the TH-900s:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexTH900.pdf

As well, the square wave plots at 30Hz and 300Hz are more "coherent" and well...square. Low distortion is excellent in both headphones as is the quickness. I find the LCD-3s very "natural" sounding and the TH-900s more "coloured" with boomier bass and mids that are recessed a bit in comparison.

Jul 4, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #5 of 356
Thanks for your input. The th-900 appeals to me because I had the Denon d7000s and before I sold them, was a fan. I currently have the LCD-2s and enjoy them but they are a bit heavy and uncomfortable. I hear the LCD3s are a bit more comfortable due to the softer ear pads and of course sound better with respect to sound stage, which I find slightly lacking in the lcd-2s.

Are the LCD-3s capable of as much bass slam as the TH-900s? I do enjoy that when I listen to certain types of music.

Jul 4, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #6 of 356
Quote:

Have a look at the "flatter FR response" of the LCD-3s:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD3Rev2sn2613375circa2012.pdf
vs. the TH-900s:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexTH900.pdf

As well, the square wave plots at 30Hz and 300Hz are more "coherent" and well...square. Low distortion is excellent in both headphones as is the quickness. I find the LCD-3s very "natural" sounding and the TH-900s more "coloured" with boomier bass and mids that are recessed a bit in comparison.

Thanks for the good info

Jul 4, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 356
Quote:
Thanks for your input. The th-900 appeals to me because I had the Denon d7000s and before I sold them, was a fan. I currently have the LCD-2s and enjoy them but they are a bit heavy and uncomfortable. I hear the LCD3s are a bit more comfortable due to the softer ear pads and of course sound better with respect to sound stage, which I find slightly lacking in the lcd-2s.

Are the LCD-3s capable of as much bass slam as the TH-900s? I do enjoy that when I listen to certain types of music.

The LCD-3s are indeed somewhat more comfortable than the LCD-2s. That said, the TH-900s are significantly more comfortable than both.

Jul 5, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #8 of 356

I enjoy my TH-900s very much as a closed headphone when isolation is needed...and if it is, then they are a top choice too!

I assume you're talking about isolation relative to the LCD-3 there. I haven't heard the LCD-3, but it must leak sound like a sieve if the TH-900 feel better. I thought the TH-900 had practically no isolation at all, like the TH-600 and Denon AH-D7000. As far as I can tell with what I've heard so far - good headphones don't isolate. Can anyone offer anything that proves that wrong?

Jul 5, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #9 of 356
Quote:

I assume you're talking about isolation relative to the LCD-3 there. I haven't heard the LCD-3, but it must leak sound like a sieve if the TH-900 feel better. I thought the TH-900 had practically no isolation at all, like the TH-600 and Denon AH-D7000. As far as I can tell with what I've heard so far - good headphones don't isolate. Can anyone offer anything that proves that wrong?

I agree, th900 is a headphone that only looks like it's closed, its other sound characteristics are just like other open headphones.

Jul 5, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #10 of 356
I think it will come to the personal preference cause TH 900 is as good as LCD3 but some people will choice only one , at the end it will be your own choice
If you like Bass so i think TH 900 and LCD-3 is good choice and if you like bigger soundstage TH900 will be better for you cause the soundstage is larger

Jul 5, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #12 of 356
which has more weight to the sound overall? i find my lcd-3 somewhat lacking in bass. yes its beautifully textured but i never feel that visceral impact. i find myself asking, where is the sub-bass? am i in the minority? i think the fostex are very interesting

Jul 5, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #13 of 356
Quote:

The LCD-3s are OPEN headphones, they're supposed to leak like a sieve. 
size]

I find the TH-900s isolate better than the D7000s (owned them twice) and more importantly for my wife, they leak out sound very little. Better than the Ed.8s and W3000s (used to own both).
Quote:
I think it will come to the personal preference cause TH 900 is as good as LCD3 but some people will choice only one , at the end it will be your own choice
If you like Bass so i think TH 900 and LCD-3 is good choice and if you like bigger soundstage TH900 will be better for you cause the soundstage is larger

Personal preference is one thing, technical merit of the drivers is something else....sorry, the LCD-3s are better in that regard. And sound staging on the LCD-3s is a smidge larger on the GS-X MKII. Pump in about 8W into 50 ohms and they open up (like all orthos). 

Jul 5, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #14 of 356
Quote:
which has more weight to the sound overall? i find my lcd-3 somewhat lacking in bass. yes its beautifully textured but i never feel that visceral impact. i find myself asking, where is the sub-bass? am i in the minority? i think the fostex are very interesting

The LCD-3s have more "natural" bass when compared to the more fun/coloured bass of the TH-900s. Both are very appealing in that regard. But if you want more bass weight, the TH-900s are the way to go.

Jul 5, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #15 of 356
Quote:
Personal preference is one thing, technical merit of the drivers is something else....sorry, the LCD-3s are better in that regard. And sound staging on the LCD-3s is a smidge larger on the GS-X MKII. Pump in about 8W into 50 ohms and they open up (like all orthos). 

Really? i own TH 900 and try LCD 3 , i found that in that regard TH 900 are better, maybe i not listen it seriously, Thank you for your explanation and i will try LCD 3 again :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back