Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Jan 1, 2024 at 7:53 AM Post #7,291 of 7,334
I was able to hear the 2C, the X, and the MM-500 at a store a while back, and the 2C was my favorite of the bunch. MM was too shouty and clamping, X was oddly dark and physically heavy, while the 2C was relaxed and more comfortable. I can only do the following comparison from memory, but I'd probably take the 2C over the CRBN and LCD-5 even. Those two follow the new Audeze tuning which is a bit too midrange-forward for me. The 2C would offer a different yet enjoyable sound compared to my current collection (see signature).

I'm tempted to pick one up, and the store owner said he could give me a discount on it too, but I have a few other headphones vying for my budget at the moment.
Funny coincidence, I auditioned the same three and wrote the following:

• The LCD-X and MM-500 being both technically strong had no major issues. Any weakness was either down to the subpar setup or easily fixed with eq. The difference in presentation and cost between the two makes it difficult for me to see a future with the MM-500. IF I was earning money producing music AND in need of a portable ”mixing solution” it would make perfect sense. Otherwise the LCD-X for me. It sounded soo nice with Bob Marley.
  • The LCD-2C was just so mellow. It isn’t as resolving as the other two Audeze’s but manages to make it a strength. It couldn’t handle the more dense part of ”No time to die” and it somehow made it feel alright anyway.
I also agree on the LCD-5 (haven’t heard the CRBN).

PS. The Stax SR-X9000 is very nice 👌

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #7,292 of 7,334
Going to post my thoughts on the 2C after owning it for a few months. I posted this comment on Reddit and I feel like it has well represented my first 2 months with it.

I have heard and own the 2C, and only demo'd the newer 2 with fazor, and the LCD-X / LCD-X Closed from Audeze. This is all my opinion.

With EQ, the 2C is just as good the LCD-X. I am sure with EQ on the LCD-X it would be a monster, but something about the LCD-2/2C kept pulling me back. I think the price to performance is best on those two for the Audeze line. I don't own any closed backs (I prefer IEMs) but my number one choice would be the LCD-X Closed if I had to choose today, I really liked the sound of that one which seems to be controversial.

I got my 2C after demoing all of them, and the amount I paid for it in their B-Stock sale... It was an absolute steal. Some things to note -

• They are pretty heavy. You need to take breaks with music, and with these you will need to about every hour anyway due to the weight. It is not exactly a "wear all day" headphone. I do have glasses though, so its not that bad.
  • I have never really cared about EQ before this set, I preferred out of the box... and they do sound really good out of the box, but they sound even better with some EQ on them. They really go from being a 7/10 headphone to something special with EQ. I now appreciate how and why you would EQ a headphone.
  • You can boost the midrange with EQ. mine sounds crazy good, i can easily define instruments, staging etc and i have added quite a considerable amount of low end and air to the mix. My EQ is based on oratory1990's suggestions.
  • Out of the box this headphone leans darker/warmer, it sounds really good with electronic and rock music, vocals are a bit recessed. Really good bass, not much mid slam but good sub rumble. Reference-ishhhhh but just barely. When I was demoing them, the guy said "the 2C plays music how it is supposed to sound but with a little more... energy" and i agree.
  • They are basically speakers attached to your head, there is that little isolation. This is obvious with them being open back, but they are SIGNIFICANTLY louder than any other open back I have owned.
  • The stock cable is quite bad, and tangly. I plan on swapping it for a Hart audio custom soon.
  • The build quality is fantastic. not something i would toss around, but it feels high quality. Real metal, the pads are quite soft, I didn't expect the headband to be as comfortable as it is. The included case is pretty nice, though aesthetically whatever but I have taken it out of my house a few times successfully with it so, i am happy.
  • really easy to drive. I can run it unbalanced off my Q5k with enough power to be satisfied.
if you have other questions, I am happy to answer. This set means a lot to me, it feels like my first true "high quality" audio item. I now want some IEMs that make me feel the same way.

Jan 14, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #7,293 of 7,334
Going to post my thoughts on the 2C after owning it for a few months. I posted this comment on Reddit and I feel like it has well represented my first 2 months with it.

I have heard and own the 2C, and only demo'd the newer 2 with fazor, and the LCD-X / LCD-X Closed from Audeze. This is all my opinion.

With EQ, the 2C is just as good the LCD-X. I am sure with EQ on the LCD-X it would be a monster, but something about the LCD-2/2C kept pulling me back. I think the price to performance is best on those two for the Audeze line. I don't own any closed backs (I prefer IEMs) but my number one choice would be the LCD-X Closed if I had to choose today, I really liked the sound of that one which seems to be controversial.

I got my 2C after demoing all of them, and the amount I paid for it in their B-Stock sale... It was an absolute steal. Some things to note -

• They are pretty heavy. You need to take breaks with music, and with these you will need to about every hour anyway due to the weight. It is not exactly a "wear all day" headphone. I do have glasses though, so its not that bad.
  • I have never really cared about EQ before this set, I preferred out of the box... and they do sound really good out of the box, but they sound even better with some EQ on them. They really go from being a 7/10 headphone to something special with EQ. I now appreciate how and why you would EQ a headphone.
  • You can boost the midrange with EQ. mine sounds crazy good, i can easily define instruments, staging etc and i have added quite a considerable amount of low end and air to the mix. My EQ is based on oratory1990's suggestions.
  • Out of the box this headphone leans darker/warmer, it sounds really good with electronic and rock music, vocals are a bit recessed. Really good bass, not much mid slam but good sub rumble. Reference-ishhhhh but just barely. When I was demoing them, the guy said "the 2C plays music how it is supposed to sound but with a little more... energy" and i agree.
  • They are basically speakers attached to your head, there is that little isolation. This is obvious with them being open back, but they are SIGNIFICANTLY louder than any other open back I have owned.
  • The stock cable is quite bad, and tangly. I plan on swapping it for a Hart audio custom soon.
  • The build quality is fantastic. not something i would toss around, but it feels high quality. Real metal, the pads are quite soft, I didn't expect the headband to be as comfortable as it is. The included case is pretty nice, though aesthetically whatever but I have taken it out of my house a few times successfully with it so, i am happy.
  • really easy to drive. I can run it unbalanced off my Q5k with enough power to be satisfied.
if you have other questions, I am happy to answer. This set means a lot to me, it feels like my first true "high quality" audio item. I now want some IEMs that make me feel the same way.
I also find them easy to drive. You don't really need an amp, I can plug them straight into my Samsung tablet's headphone jack and get all the volume I need.
I don't know what devices others plug them into but for my tablet no problem.
Others might say you need an amp to get their full potential but they sound good enough without an amp to me.
I also find them very comfortable. The earpads are great although the lcd-2c are heavier than any headphones I own;
I can still wear them for 3 to 4 h hours.'1 ve even worn them longer than that.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #7,301 of 7,334
My cable was from Sky. Excellent product. Sounds great balanced from Schitt Jotunheim 2 to LCD 2C Classic. Highly recommended

Mar 6, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #7,303 of 7,334
I recently eq’d my Audeze LCD-2C to Harman via peq using Oratory1990 presets. It feels like audio reproduction can’t get much better than this. Feels like being on the skytop. Any experience/thoughts in this regard?
I did the same but added copious amounts of bass lol. Pretty satisfied with over ear headphones, it’s just time to update my desktop source.

Mar 6, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #7,304 of 7,334
@theintention Currently I am using an iFi xDSD Gryphon and I find it to be excellent for the LCD2C. I am very happy with that. I like the idea of being flexible as to in which room or sofa/armchair/bed am I going to listen to my headphones depending on the mood. Plenty of power for this headphone (the advantage pf planars) and very clean/distortion free. I also aesthetically like it very much other than the plastic volume knob, I would’ve preferred it made out of aluminum. Still I think it is a severely overpriced object (600 EUR), nowadays I’d buy something like Topping G5 to get the job done (300 EUR).

Mar 6, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #7,305 of 7,334
@theintention Currently I am using an iFi xDSD Gryphon and I find it to be excellent for the LCD2C. I am very happy with that. I like the idea of being flexible as to in which room or sofa/armchair/bed am I going to listen to my headphones depending on the mood. Plenty of power for this headphone (the advantage pf planars) and very clean/distortion free. I also aesthetically like it very much other than the plastic volume knob, I would’ve preferred it made out of aluminum. Still I think it is a severely overpriced object (600 EUR), nowadays I’d buy something like Topping G5 to get the job done (300 EUR).
I use exactly the same setup. Ifi Gryphon powers these headphones superbly! I even tried connecting the Gryphon through the line output to the ZEN CAN amplifier and did not hear any difference at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back