Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Mar 15, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #7,232 of 7,334
I believe so, while others may not.

Amplifiers do not "make stuff louder", they also add control, headroom, definition.

I am not suggesting get something $$$ expensive, but $200-400 balanced and you are golden... let the flame 🔥 wars 🔥 begin (goes to make 🍿 popcorn 🍿

Hot take: If the amp is properly made, balanced offers literally zero benefits over single-ended. At best, at *best*, you might have a near imperceptibly less noisy signal. For something like the LCD2C, a $200 amp with enough juice will give you all you need.

Mar 15, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #7,233 of 7,334
Hot take: If the amp is properly made, balanced offers literally zero benefits over single-ended. At best, at *best*, you might have a near imperceptibly less noisy signal. For something like the LCD2C, a $200 amp with enough juice will give you all you need.
Your take... which is fine

BTW I bought the THX789 for $199 US on sale and much as I love the Asgard 3, with my planars the THX789 has more "juice" (lol) and control.

Mar 15, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #7,234 of 7,334
I've had the 2C for a few months now and I have to say...one of the best purchases ever. I'm loving them more and more every day. I do use eq on my Adi 2 Dac 100% of the time but damn they sound huge, weighty and most importantly incredibly fast. Punishingly fast. Snappiest kicks and snares ever. Plus they are extremely forgiving with bad recordings provided you use some EQ. Separation and detail retrieval is also very very good. Just listen to the latest Parkway Drive album Darker Still for a demonstration of all of the above - every instrument is clearly separated and you can really focus on McCall's vocal cords (although this is an extremely good production).
Finally, my 789 drives them beautifully!

Bonus: Sometimes I feel like these were made for death metal - stuff like Bolt Thrower, Deicide, the Black Dahlia Murder or even modern day Cannibal Corpse absolutely smash your face on the 2C.

Mar 15, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #7,235 of 7,334
I ran LCD-2C's just fine in low gain with a JDS Labs Atom+, which has 1 watt at 32 ohm. You don't need a nuclear reactor to run these -- or many headphones, for that matter.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #7,237 of 7,334
But what if I can make a coffin sized amp out of mahogany and can charge $10k?
LOL!

There's a reason JDS doesn't make an amp with more than 2.3 watts per channel at 32 ohms -- anything more is overkill for most headphones. JDS instead focuses on clean power, ergonomics, quality manufacturing and value for money instead of getting into numeric spec wars like Topping and so many other Chinese manufacturers these days.

Wattage is becoming similar to distortion and signal-to-noise figures in audiophile marketing. A headphone amp with 6 watts is ridiculous overkill for all but the most demanding headphones. You're paying extra for power you'll never need or use. It's very similar to a dude who owns a $100,000 Corvette Z06 and uses it to tool around town at 40 mph. What's the point other than looks or "my d*ck is bigger than yours?" Wouldn't a $35,000 car serve the same purpose?

And has anyone other than the ASR zealots EVER bought an amp because it had .0005 THD compared to another model that had .0008 THD? We're talking distortion well beyond the limits of human hearing.

The objective side of this hobby cracks me up at times. Yes, numbers matter -- to a point. They are valuable guideposts. But when do we trust our ears and brains and what sounds best to us and not some graph or statistic?

The day subjectivity gets squeezed from this hobby by numerical objectivism is the day I stop visiting this forum and other audiophile hangouts.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #7,238 of 7,334
LOL!

There's a reason JDS doesn't make an amp with more than 2.3 watts per channel at 32 ohms -- anything more is overkill for most headphones. JDS instead focuses on clean power, ergonomics, quality manufacturing and value for money instead of getting into numeric spec wars like Topping and so many other Chinese manufacturers these days.

Wattage is becoming similar to distortion and signal-to-noise figures in audiophile marketing. A headphone amp with 6 watts is ridiculous overkill for all but the most demanding headphones. You're paying extra for power you'll never need or use. It's very similar to a dude who owns a $100,000 Corvette Z06 and uses it to tool around town at 40 mph. What's the point other than looks or "my d*ck is bigger than yours?" Wouldn't a $35,000 car serve the same purpose?

And has anyone other than the ASR zealots EVER bought an amp because it had .0005 THD compared to another model that had .0008 THD? We're talking distortion well beyond the limits of human hearing.

The objective side of this hobby cracks me up at times. Yes, numbers matter -- to a point. They are valuable guideposts. But when do we trust our ears and brains and what sounds best to us and not some graph or statistic?

The day subjectivity gets squeezed from this hobby by numerical objectivism is the day I stop visiting this forum and other audiophile hangouts.

Exactly why I stick with Schiit products.

Mar 19, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #7,239 of 7,334
LOL!

At least the Z06 looks nice as hell. A lot of the time it's more like if someone bought a 1996 Honda Accord and spent $50k sticking a turbocharged v10 in it and only drives it to the grocery store twice a week.

Mar 19, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #7,240 of 7,334
I've had the 2C for a few months now and I have to say...one of the best purchases ever. I'm loving them more and more every day. I do use eq on my Adi 2 Dac 100% of the time but damn they sound huge, weighty and most importantly incredibly fast. Punishingly fast. Snappiest kicks and snares ever. Plus they are extremely forgiving with bad recordings provided you use some EQ. Separation and detail retrieval is also very very good. Just listen to the latest Parkway Drive album Darker Still for a demonstration of all of the above - every instrument is clearly separated and you can really focus on McCall's vocal cords (although this is an extremely good production).
Finally, my 789 drives them beautifully!

Bonus: Sometimes I feel like these were made for death metal - stuff like Bolt Thrower, Deicide, the Black Dahlia Murder or even modern day Cannibal Corpse absolutely smash your face on the 2C.

This playlist is absolutely banger with the 2C

Apr 13, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #7,242 of 7,334
I have the LCD-2 Classic and just a couple weeks ago got in a fully refurbished LCD-2 fazor. Haven't posted a full comparison review but this album sounds amazing on the LCD-2C

Apr 15, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #7,243 of 7,334
Quite amazing how these little buggers scale up with good gear.

They cost like 15% of my other gear but they are just as enjoyable (even tho they are behind in technicalities)

Currently running them from the Speakertaps of my T+A PA2000R until my Feliks Envy arrives

Apr 16, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #7,244 of 7,334
Quite amazing how these little buggers scale up with good gear.

They cost like 15% of my other gear but they are just as enjoyable (even tho they are behind in technicalities)

Currently running them from the Speakertaps of my T+A PA2000R until my Feliks Envy arrives
I love Audeze because it has its own very unique housesound. More so with the LCD2 pre fazor and later LCD2 fazor models, than the rest of the line. I find them the most Audeze sounding, and worth the added cost of getting the rosewood model. The Classic version is a step in another direction to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back