Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Dec 10, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #7,096 of 7,334
Yep! Give it a week and you'll be more acclimated to the sound profile and won't feel the need for extra treble. Good call on Soen, too. Lots of those prog/post bands really sound like a whole new beast through these.

I recently discovered Soen, absolutely beautiful music!

Yeah Beyer re-wired my brain but like you said, it takes a week tops for me to acclimate to any new audio gear.

Hey by the way thanks for all the help during my decision making - you helped me make the best decision for my budget, I’m really enjoying these! Even without any EQ they destroy my EQed Beyers. Stock Beyers are unlistenable for me.

EDIT: I think the key here is power, the more I push the 789 the more amazing they sound without being fatiguing.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #7,097 of 7,334
Oh no, you're REALLY making me look at new amps haha

The Cambridge Dacmagic has always been one I liked the look of, also the SMSL M500. Might check the Topping DX7...

Dec 10, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #7,098 of 7,334
I mean it'd be great if everything was much cheaper but tbh I think these are worth the full price, I just wouldn't have been able to afford them lmao

Now I'm looking at replacement dac/amp combos... sheesh. Audeze why do you do this to me...
Yes, problem is the price is always all over the place, almost double, from the lowest possible to the official price new. Then here in Europe, not so much discounted...
They really sound good though, truth be told. I use them with Ares2 dac, but I think they would sound good with any decent delta sigma dac, they smooth out stuff. Without eq though, still sounds really good and pleasurable, but not as perfect as eq'ed. Same feeling with speakers, would be a hell of a lot of money, and a treated room.

Dec 11, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #7,099 of 7,334
I don't have anything really to add right now, just that the 2C + Roon has had me glued to my desk for the last week or so. There's not a single element to this experience that I'd want to improve (except the adjustment rods). The Audeze preset in Roon seems pretty damn subtle but whatever is happening I'm just blissing out to my music again lol

Dec 11, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #7,100 of 7,334
Oh no, you're REALLY making me look at new amps haha

The Cambridge Dacmagic has always been one I liked the look of, also the SMSL M500. Might check the Topping DX7...
Haha oh I’m so sorry - I haven’t researched those amps to be honest but if you need a DAC as well the Topping seems pretty nice - plus fully balanced is nice to have! Actually it seems to cover most bases! I didn’t compare power output at 70 ohm tho and that’s a big factor IMO.
I don't have anything really to add right now, just that the 2C + Roon has had me glued to my desk for the last week or so. There's not a single element to this experience that I'd want to improve (except the adjustment rods). The Audeze preset in Roon seems pretty damn subtle but whatever is happening I'm just blissing out to my music again lol
Do you know if there’s a way to emulate the Audeze preset/plugin with a 7-band parametric EQ? I’ve heard many good things about it but until I get into Roon I use the PEQ on my RME!

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #7,101 of 7,334
Oh hell yeah!

Ok I just got them yesterday and have only listened for an hour so far so these are just some preliminary observations:

1) Is it just me or these are really forgiving with more mediocre recordings? I didn’t expect In Flames’ Jester Race to sound that good

2) The bass is really…tactile 😂 I guess it’s because it’s my first planar but Heilung’s bass drum can be felt throughout my head without distorting other frequencies and voices.

3) I need to recover from the Beyer treble for a while - I find myself adding a couple of dbs high shelf but not with every production. All in all not as dark as I thought it would be - definitely a relaxed listening experience and not fatiguing at all without any annoying peaks.

4) Loving the big sound and the soundstage - instruments sound a bit more distant but huge.

5) I do understand now why people say dynamic HPs have more impact in the low end than planars. The 2C certainly goes deep but the kick drums in Revocation’s Across forests and Fjords hits just a bit more gently than my EQd 900 Pro X - EQ partially fixes that.

6) They scale nicely with power. The more I feed them the better they become. Getting my balanced cable in two days so it should be interesting.

7) They are so open they sound just like speakers to outsiders, my wife already complained 😂 Will see how it goes but might have to go with the CB for that reason.

8) It’s not as analytical as the 900 Pro X BUT the more mellow presentation means that I can now turn the volume up and focus on different instruments and details without my ear bleeding. The 900 Pro X ends up into a bright distorted mess with high volume, the 2C sounds less explosive but way clearer.

9) The warmer character makes the music more emotional, Soen’s Atlantis hits right in the feels. Also I didn’t expect voices to sound that good. Was expecting some recession there but now they sound forward and clean.

That’s all for now, I got a lot of listening to do and my ears need to adjust to the vastly different sound signature than what I was used with the Beyers. Definitely a great pair of headphones and I don’t regret my purchase at all!

PS: Unboxing the cardboard and being greeted with that awesome huge and heavy case was a wow moment!

Edit: Comfort and weight seem great! No problems here !
I purchased a Bluesound Node a few weeks ago attaching it via coaxial digital cable to my Home Theatre system. I also connected the Node to my Lake People (Violectric) headphone amp via analog cables. Streaming Tidal has my LCD-2C, LCD-3 and Focal Clear Pro sound about the best I have heard through these headphones. What a great source.

Dec 12, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #7,102 of 7,334
Ok so I finally received my custom balanced cable from Arachne audio so now I can run the 2C balanced off the THX 789 and damn they hit hard, loud and clear! Super happy!

Attachments

• AB3BB4A1-E756-471B-816E-32332B1845B8.jpeg
    AB3BB4A1-E756-471B-816E-32332B1845B8.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • D30B139B-581D-46EE-AD8A-003AE3853CAE.jpeg
    D30B139B-581D-46EE-AD8A-003AE3853CAE.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • F123E715-B81A-4087-B789-5D8AABE4961E.jpeg
    F123E715-B81A-4087-B789-5D8AABE4961E.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 34F2508F-4F90-4E59-A638-D0CFE1304269.jpeg
    34F2508F-4F90-4E59-A638-D0CFE1304269.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Dec 12, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #7,104 of 7,334
So I'm inches away from pulling the trigger on the Topping E30/L30 stack. The measurements on those things seem incredible and given that the 2C isn't mega hard to drive I doubt it'll lack for power. Anyone tried that combo out?

Dec 12, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #7,105 of 7,334
Ok so I finally received my custom balanced cable from Arachne audio so now I can run the 2C balanced off the THX 789 and damn they hit hard, loud and clear! Super happy!
Yup! They really improved and "snapped together" balanced with THX789

Dec 12, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #7,106 of 7,334
So I'm inches away from pulling the trigger on the Topping E30/L30 stack. The measurements on those things seem incredible and given that the 2C isn't mega hard to drive I doubt it'll lack for power. Anyone tried that combo out?
Not tried personally.
Despite what many say, more power lends more control to the LCD2C

Dec 12, 2022 at 11:59 PM Post #7,107 of 7,334
those are good for the price. you do want something that measures worse but sounds better, like a class A amp, or an R2R good dac.

I have the akm e30, very detailed and clear. but flat and tiring on the ear, with treeble too well defined.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #7,108 of 7,334
those are good for the price. you do want something that measures worse but sounds better, like a class A amp, or an R2R good dac.

I have the akm e30, very detailed and clear. but flat and tiring on the ear, with treeble too well defined.
Hm. Sounds like the Asgard 3 with the new DAC module might be my winner.

Dec 13, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #7,110 of 7,334
As far I'm concerned, the 2C is already the mid-fi king.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back