Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Jun 8, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #5,926 of 7,335
I came across these, and I know it was posted in this thread before. https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/waveguide-for-lcd2-2ad2680119914de69ab8fb7dfeaedd28 . I had been debating between the LCD-2s and LCD-2Cs when I was looking for a new planar headphone. But went with the safer ( ? ) route with the 2Cs just from the reviews and community feeling.

Still digging them, but could eventually update in the future.
If you decide on the LCD-2 get one that either has the new headband or with the white Audeze logo on the plastic attachment(might be metal now? feels like it on mine) as they have the current revision and actually sound really good, better than the 2 Classic, both are similar the difference is the Fazor is smoother, lusher, while the Classic is a bit rougher sounding, less cohesive. What the other poster said about them fitting different needs is utter nonsense, they share the same FR it's just the classic has certain peaks that gives them a bit more of a tizzy timbre. They're both ahve the same bass level, classic sounds a bit loser, less focus that's literally about it. Just think of the current fazor to just be a slight refinement. Is it worth it will depend on your budget, the Classic has more issue out of the box but if you can forgive it's problems it's a good headphone. The 2F is only worth it if it's a current revision.

Jun 14, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #5,927 of 7,335
I am about one month into owning the 2Cs. Bought them new, and so far really living up to my expectations. They fit my listening style really well, and for me are pretty comfortable. I really have got to say the bass is so nice on these. I catch myself just smiling sometimes the way it reproduces the low end. It is just so deep and lovely. I find when I switch to other headphones everything feels thinner. I was looking for something to compliment my 58x. Really nice combo for me. 58x for gaming/discord/editing and longer sessions. 2Cs come on for intense focus or to just relax and listening to new tunes. I felt that the Audeze EQ has helped greatly to to smooth out some small things as well. Best part for me is that I drive these perfectly fine on a gen 1 magni and OL DAC. Anyway felt I'd chime in, lovely pair of headphones, and I catch myself smiling a lot while using them so far. I have no gripes with the price tag, but if you can find a nice deal used that's even better.

Jun 15, 2020 at 12:43 AM Post #5,928 of 7,335
I 100% agree with you. In four days I will have one month with my LCD2Cs. Bass and sound stage is really good IMO. I also have HD6XXs that I now use for gaming.

I am about one month into owning the 2Cs. Bought them new, and so far really living up to my expectations. They fit my listening style really well, and for me are pretty comfortable. I really have got to say the bass is so nice on these. I catch myself just smiling sometimes the way it reproduces the low end. It is just so deep and lovely. I find when I switch to other headphones everything feels thinner. I was looking for something to compliment my 58x. Really nice combo for me. 58x for gaming/discord/editing and longer sessions. 2Cs come on for intense focus or to just relax and listening to new tunes. I felt that the Audeze EQ has helped greatly to to smooth out some small things as well. Best part for me is that I drive these perfectly fine on a gen 1 magni and OL DAC. Anyway felt I'd chime in, lovely pair of headphones, and I catch myself smiling a lot while using them so far. I have no gripes with the price tag, but if you can find a nice deal used that's even better.

Jun 15, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #5,929 of 7,335

I had been deciding between the LCD-GX or the 2Cs for both gaming and listening, and went with the 2Cs for cost difference. I had also gotten the Gaming headset cable for them, but I wasn't impressed with the mic quality. It picked up my breathing too much even when it was pushed away. so I just ended up getting a Black Yeti mic to run double duty.

IMG_1865.jpeg

Main Setup: Mac (Running Audio Hijack w/ Audeze Reveal) -> Schiit Modi -> Benringer Xenyx 802 -> Little Dot Mk.II. Yeti Mic handling the VOIP for Discord.

Gaming Rig -> Schiit Fulla. Yeti Mic goes through NVIDA's RTX Audio filter for Gaming & Discord

IMG_1864.jpeg

Even recently upgraded the cable with a Forzaworks. Really brings the "Earth Tone" theme in. Just need to Mod/Make the headband with some brown leather....

Jun 15, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #5,930 of 7,335
I see there's been an update this year adding a metal mesh in the housing, does anyone know if this affects the sound at all or is it just a measure put in place to stop the foam moving around?

Jun 15, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #5,931 of 7,335
Hello everyone.

I am running into a small issue with my LCD2.

I bought this pair of cans about 5 years ago.
About 2 years ago i stored them in the orignial box and in perfect running condition.

Recently i decided to use them back and i discovered that the left channel (left ear) isn't working anymore.

I am using an aftermarket cable so i tried the stock one.
Same issue.

I brought them back where i bought them and after a couple of days the guy told me that the repair cost will be approx USD725.
Since Audeze needs to change the 2 drivers, i order for them to be balanced.

I am a bit shocked and was wondering if any of you had a similar issue.

Alternatively i can try to run a diagnosis myself and hopefully repair it.

thanks for your help!

Jun 15, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #5,932 of 7,335
I had been deciding between the LCD-GX or the 2Cs for both gaming and listening, and went with the 2Cs for cost difference. I had also gotten the Gaming headset cable for them, but I wasn't impressed with the mic quality. It picked up my breathing too much even when it was pushed away. so I just ended up getting a Black Yeti mic to run double duty.

IMG_1865.jpeg
Main Setup: Mac (Running Audio Hijack w/ Audeze Reveal) -> Schiit Modi -> Benringer Xenyx 802 -> Little Dot Mk.II. Yeti Mic handling the VOIP for Discord.

Gaming Rig -> Schiit Fulla. Yeti Mic goes through NVIDA's RTX Audio filter for Gaming & Discord

IMG_1864.jpeg

Even recently upgraded the cable with a Forzaworks. Really brings the "Earth Tone" theme in. Just need to Mod/Make the headband with some brown leather....
I use the same mic for my discord. I find it works fine.

Jun 16, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #5,933 of 7,335
I've just received a second pair of LCD2C after selling my first a year ago. I'm finding the clamping force is really weak. Is there anyway of increasing clamping force? I know people complain about a tight fit but I prefer it. So anyone know a way to increase clamping force of the headband?

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #5,934 of 7,335
I've just received a second pair of LCD2C after selling my first a year ago. I'm finding the clamping force is really weak. Is there anyway of increasing clamping force? I know people complain about a tight fit but I prefer it. So anyone know a way to increase clamping force of the headband?
For me, I got the extended yokes and it seems to fit better on my head. Could just be a placebo effect.

Jun 17, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #5,935 of 7,335
I got a reply regarding clamping force from Audeze. Please only try this if you have a steel headband -

"Regarding clamping force on LCD headphones:
-Clamping force is NOT adjustable on the carbon fiber headband. Attempting this may break the band, and is not covered by warranty.

-On models with the spring steel band, clamping can be adjust slightly up or down by carefully exerting some force on the steel part of the headband only, in the direction you want to adjust. Do not attempt to adjust by putting force on the yokes/rods, earcups or adjustment blocks (with the Audeze "A" logo on them), as this may cause damage not covered by warranty.

If you want to tighten clamping force, we suggest removing the earcups first by taking out the nylon screws at the tops of the yoke rods. When you put them back in, make sure they are only finger-tight, since using a screwdriver can break the screws."

Jun 17, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #5,937 of 7,335
If it makes anyone feel better here I have the LCD4 and consider it one of the best and I re-purchased the LCD2C after not having it for a year because they're that good. The LCD2C although much less detailed has an easy listening quality which makes them special.
That's true. I also really like Audeze mostly for its bass. There are more detailed headphones out there with better clarity, but the 2C has a really pleasant easy listening character.

Jun 17, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #5,938 of 7,335
So today is the day, I finally got a hold of the ole Vegan/Velour Pads for the LCD 2 Classic so I'm finally going to have a listen to them with the new LCD 2 Classic.

I know I'll loose a little extension at the lower octaves but I'm hoping overall the more even tone will be worth it, I doubt it'll overtake my good ole Pre Fazor 2 but maybe It'll get a little closer to it

Jun 17, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #5,939 of 7,335
So today is the day, I finally got a hold of the ole Vegan/Velour Pads for the LCD 2 Classic so I'm finally going to have a listen to them with the new LCD 2 Classic.

I know I'll loose a little extension at the lower octaves but I'm hoping overall the more even tone will be worth it, I doubt it'll overtake my good ole Pre Fazor 2 but maybe It'll get a little closer to it

I thought the pads were glued on. Are the replaceable? I'm not keen on leather, where did you get them from?

Jun 17, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #5,940 of 7,335
Giving my Audeze LCD-2C headphones with their new Sky Audio silver plated copper balanced cables a workout with the Mobile Fidelity SACD of Dire Straits second album ”Communique.” I’ve read that silver plated copper wire improved the sound of the LCD-2C’s, so far I have to say that what I’ve read is correct. The silver plating seems to lift the upper end of the frequency spectrum up closer to that of the mids and low end, making for a noticeably more balanced (sorry) sound. The upper mids to treble sound more open, not as muffled. No, it can’t change the LCD-2C’s designed sonic signature, just smooth it out enough to make an already wonderful headphone sound even better. And while the silver plating helps open up the top end, the copper keeps the lows just the way Audeze designed them. I would highly recommend that if you own a pair of LCD-2C’s that you should seriously consider investing in an after market silver plated copper balanced cable to bring out the best in your favorite headphones.
A11F0265-2E32-4728-8FE1-B0FFFA08796B.jpeg

Attachments

• 091006DC-D595-4D7B-8319-0DD07763FE6A.jpeg
    091006DC-D595-4D7B-8319-0DD07763FE6A.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back