Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
May 28, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #5,881 of 7,334
Does anyone know how Audeze.com order times have been affected by the COVID-19 lockdown? I ordered a pair of LCD-2C two days ago, and the order status just says paid & "Unfulfilled". I notice now they have a general COVID-19 lockdown dislcaimer at the top of their page, but most online retailers.
Their disclaimer cites their California location but I have received many California shipments during this time.
[/QUOTE
In the US, the 2C sells (new) for $899. If the X is $1200, that’s a significant jump. So weigh all the options. I will state up front, I have not heard the X, but find the 2C a very easy headphone to love.
Audeze's website shows the 2 Classic is $799, the 2 Classic Closed is $899.

May 28, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #5,883 of 7,334
I have spent my last 15 days with comparing the LCD2C and the LCDX directly in my free time. I am trying to find out how it is to live with them and not just A/B testing them for sound differences as I don't really want to keep both.
There has been some A/B testing too, as well as dedicated 1-2 days with both of them. (I am using silver plated upgrade cables.)
It has been a tough couple of weeks, sometimes I was leaning towards one or the other, but I think overall I prefer the X to the 2C but the price I got the X for also for plays a role here. Technically the X is the better headphone immediately, but the 2C is very likeable for that laid back music listening experience when you just want to chill out.
The LCDX has better dynamics and resolving capabilities than the LCD2C, that is quite obvious immediately. The X has a much cleaner and punchier bass; cleaner, more opened and punchier treble. The X also has better mid details but the 2C has a slightly sweeter mid tone. Altogether the much more defined bass and treble and the overall higher level of clarity makes the X a 'clearly' superior headphone to the 2C, but this also comes with another 60-80 grams of weight (controversial sources). The X is a punchier and more resolving headphone, the 2C is more laid back, less refined and less detailed. They are both great though for what they are. The 2C's strength in my opinion is the easy listening and laid back tonality, even though it comes with a less accurate, less detailed and softer sound. For twice the price I would definitely not recommend the X over the 2C. For 20-30% more however, it is hard not to recommend the X (just make sure you have got the new headband).
LCD 2CLCD-X
lighter (550g)heavier (612g)
laid back, soft sound with lesser resolving capabilitiespunchy, clean, more energetic sound, higher resolving capabilities
more diffuse and hazier, but still class beating bassclean, clear and punchy bass with better impact (best bass under 2K basically)
sweeter vocalsmore accurate and more detailed but slightly 'colder' vocals
rolled off and veiled treble resulting in detail lossopened, clean and punchy treble with more detail and fun
perfect headphones for chilling out while browsing the webmore fun when focusing on music listening only as it is a more intense experience
£650-750 new (very recent price increase to my surprise, it used to be £599!)£1150-1200 new (creator package)
£500-600 used£750-900 used (creator package)

Great post, could you please tell me which in your opinion sounds "denser"/fuller?
Regarding the bass, which has the most volume ? My guess is LCD-X but I want to be sure lol

Thank you,
Kelvin

May 28, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #5,885 of 7,334
I have spent my last 15 days with comparing the LCD2C and the LCDX directly in my free time. I am trying to find out how it is to live with them and not just A/B testing them for sound differences as I don't really want to keep both.
There has been some A/B testing too, as well as dedicated 1-2 days with both of them. (I am using silver plated upgrade cables.)
It has been a tough couple of weeks, sometimes I was leaning towards one or the other, but I think overall I prefer the X to the 2C but the price I got the X for also for plays a role here. Technically the X is the better headphone immediately, but the 2C is very likeable for that laid back music listening experience when you just want to chill out.
The LCDX has better dynamics and resolving capabilities than the LCD2C, that is quite obvious immediately. The X has a much cleaner and punchier bass; cleaner, more opened and punchier treble. The X also has better mid details but the 2C has a slightly sweeter mid tone. Altogether the much more defined bass and treble and the overall higher level of clarity makes the X a 'clearly' superior headphone to the 2C, but this also comes with another 60-80 grams of weight (controversial sources). The X is a punchier and more resolving headphone, the 2C is more laid back, less refined and less detailed. They are both great though for what they are. The 2C's strength in my opinion is the easy listening and laid back tonality, even though it comes with a less accurate, less detailed and softer sound. For twice the price I would definitely not recommend the X over the 2C. For 20-30% more however, it is hard not to recommend the X (just make sure you have got the new headband).
LCD 2CLCD-X
lighter (550g)heavier (612g)
laid back, soft sound with lesser resolving capabilitiespunchy, clean, more energetic sound, higher resolving capabilities
more diffuse and hazier, but still class beating bassclean, clear and punchy bass with better impact (best bass under 2K basically)
sweeter vocalsmore accurate and more detailed but slightly 'colder' vocals
rolled off and veiled treble resulting in detail lossopened, clean and punchy treble with more detail and fun
perfect headphones for chilling out while browsing the webmore fun when focusing on music listening only as it is a more intense experience
£650-750 new (very recent price increase to my surprise, it used to be £599!)£1150-1200 new (creator package)
£500-600 used£750-900 used (creator package)
I've been waiting to see something like this! I've never heard the X and i value HUGE enjoyable vocals and i think the 2C with the silver cable nails it! What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #5,886 of 7,334
Great post, could you please tell me which in your opinion sounds "denser"/fuller?
Regarding the bass, which has the most volume ? My guess is LCD-X but I want to be sure lol

Thank you,
Kelvin
To me they are pretty much equally 'dense' or full sounding. The 2C comes across a little bit 'thicker' but that is just because of the extra clarity of the X. Bass volume is about the same as well (perhaps just a little more on the 2C), but again the X has more bass clarity and more precise slam which makes it an easy winner for me.
I've been waiting to see something like this! I've never heard the X and i value HUGE enjoyable vocals and i think the 2C with the silver cable nails it! What are your thoughts?
I think if your focus is vocals then the 2C with a silver cable is a great option. Vocals on the X are clearer, but on the 2C they are little warmer which is quite pleasant.

May 29, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #5,887 of 7,334
The 2C could be considered denser feeling due to the lack of Fazors there's this sense of less focus so things feel looser, more wolly, slightly thicker(this is absolutly nit picking) This is only directly compared to others like a good 2F, LCD-3 etc it's still very clean, compared to say a headphone like the Elear, HD650, HD800 etc. Vocals are an acquired taste with the Audeze, they don't have the vocal presence, of say a HD650, HD600 or Focal Clear it's a more lush rendition of voices, you don't hear into the human voice in the same way.

An example a HD650 will sing to you, you can hear things like saliva in the mouth, the wetness of a throat smacking, subtle changes in pitch better where as an Audeze it's a little harder to hear but you can sit back an just hear this lush agreeable tone(2C,2F,3F) The X is for sure a little drier, leaner, coarser. If someone finds an LCD-2 too lush but enjoys the tonal balance, then the LCD-X would be a good option for them.

Here's how I hear them to date compared to each other assuming all units are good

2C - Slightly grainy, dynamic, most hard hitting bass outside of the LCD-4
2F - Smoother, more mature, slightly lusher voices, grain isn't apparent on my unit anyway, bass slightly less impactful than 2C
X - Most lean, dry of the LCD's, People who want a LCD-2 with less warmth.
3F - A weird position as I don't find it any better than a good 2F apart from being more present in the treble, the traits are the same.
4 - The most technical performing Audeze, same tonal balance with amazing focus, treble detail and resolution.

May 29, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #5,888 of 7,334
£650-750 new (very recent price increase to my surprise, it used to be £599!)

It's not a price increase. The LCD 2C costs the same as it always did, and Audeze haven't raised their prices, it's just that the GBP has totally and utterly tanked in recent months, thus new stock coming in reflects this.

May 29, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #5,889 of 7,334
It's not a price increase. The LCD 2C costs the same as it always did, and Audeze haven't raised their prices, it's just that the GBP has totally and utterly tanked in recent months, thus new stock coming in reflects this.
Not completely.

The 2C used to cost £549-599 in the UK. I actually got my first pair for £505 new a few years ago. For some years the price has been between £599 and £649. It is the first time ever I can't really find the 2C for £649 anymore, and £749 prices came up the first time ever.
In the UK the 2C was always more affordable than on the continent (800 euros to begin with), but it seems finally global prices catch up.
In the last 3 years £599 was the usual price of the 2C in the UK, the last few weeks it has jumped up to £749.

May 29, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #5,890 of 7,334
Not completely.

The 2C used to cost £549-599 in the UK. I actually got my first pair for £505 new a few years ago. For some years the price has been between £599 and £649. It is the first time ever I can't really find the 2C for £649 anymore, and £749 prices came up the first time ever.
In the UK the 2C was always more affordable than on the continent (800 euros to begin with), but it seems finally global prices catch up.
In the last 3 years £599 was the usual price of the 2C in the UK, the last few weeks it has jumped up to £749.

Well, you're still slightly better off. $799 converted to GBP equals £647 at current rates (£1 = $1.235), but then you have to remember that the Dollar price doesn't include VAT, so that needs to be added at 20% which brings the price to £776.

So at £749 it's a small bargain.

May 29, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #5,891 of 7,334
Well, you're still slightly better off. $799 converted to GBP equals £647 at current rates (£1 = $1.235), but then you have to remember that the Dollar price doesn't include VAT, so that needs to be added at 20% which brings the price to £776.

So at £749 it's a small bargain.
Sure, but the 2C selling price was very firm in the UK £549/599/649 for years. I was always expecting it to rise but not without notice in such a short time and immediately up to £749.
I know on the continent (Europe) the 2C was always more expensive (800 euros), but never expected such a rapid price jump in the UK without any notice.

May 29, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #5,892 of 7,334
To me they are pretty much equally 'dense' or full sounding. The 2C comes across a little bit 'thicker' but that is just because of the extra clarity of the X. Bass volume is about the same as well (perhaps just a little more on the 2C), but again the X has more bass clarity and more precise slam which makes it an easy winner for me.

I think if your focus is vocals then the 2C with a silver cable is a great option. Vocals on the X are clearer, but on the 2C they are little warmer which is quite pleasant.

Thank you for your thoughts - last question, if you were watching movies, which would you recommend. I like to watch thrillers, scary and action movies

Kelvin

May 29, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #5,894 of 7,334
Why would you base your headphone purchase off movies? What a waste. They're going to sound exactly the same for movies they have a similar FR. You're litrally debating between two headphones that sound more similar than different. Ones a bit warmer, ones a bit leaner. Buy a 2C call it a day and have money left over what what ever.

I really dont see the point in debating between Audeze phones, any one is going to give you an idea what the line up sounds like and most people won't even have the source gear to notice much difference in the higher end models like the LCD-4 and the 3 is too close to the 2 just with more treble resolve and has more consistency issues.

May 29, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #5,895 of 7,334
Why would you base your headphone purchase off movies? What a waste. They're going to sound exactly the same for movies they have a similar FR. You're litrally debating between two headphones that sound more similar than different. Ones a bit warmer, ones a bit leaner. Buy a 2C call it a day and have money left over what what ever.

I really dont see the point in debating between Audeze phones, any one is going to give you an idea what the line up sounds like and most people won't even have the source gear to notice much difference in the higher end models like the LCD-4 and the 3 is too close to the 2 just with more treble resolve and has more consistency issues.
I love the 2C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back