Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Apr 17, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #5,686 of 7,335
would the lcd x be an upgrade from my lcd2 classics iyo? would be natural step up if want a better version os the lcd2 classics?

i am not looking for a major sound change as i love my lcd2 classics, but i want around the same or a bit more bass amount, while with having a tiny bit more treble, and i dont really have a preference for the mids, so around the same would be fine, and better sound stage and imaging if possible

i use my headphones as my primary and only audio source, so for music like edm (like the group above and beyond mostly for that type of edm) and all media from movies/shows/anime, to video games as video games is my biggest hobby

i am also considering the zmf auteur, as i have read a bunch on that already and i think i would like that a lot, but i have not read much about the lcd x yet so thats why i am asking here

LCD-3 and/or MX4

Apr 20, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #5,687 of 7,335
would the lcd x be an upgrade from my lcd2 classics iyo? would be natural step up if want a better version os the lcd2 classics?

i am not looking for a major sound change as i love my lcd2 classics, but i want around the same or a bit more bass amount, while with having a tiny bit more treble, and i dont really have a preference for the mids, so around the same would be fine, and better sound stage and imaging if possible

i use my headphones as my primary and only audio source, so for music like edm (like the group above and beyond mostly for that type of edm) and all media from movies/shows/anime, to video games as video games is my biggest hobby

i am also considering the zmf auteur, as i have read a bunch on that already and i think i would like that a lot, but i have not read much about the lcd x yet so thats why i am asking here
The LCD-X can range from awful to phenomenal. Same with the 2C except they never got bad. The production variation is mad with Audeze headphones that you have to compare individual units. If you get a good X it will be a better headphone but the majority are just okay, boarding bright and thin. I preferred almost all the 2Cs I've heard. All Audeze headphones have a similar bass level but if you want more impact, dynamics then I would say grab an LCD-4 if you want more or a Verum 1 if you want cleaner, more precise bass with improved timbre and vocals too.

It sounds like you might wanna grab something like a TH900 or the Fostex variants if you want impact.

Apr 20, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #5,688 of 7,335
The LCD-X can range from awful to phenomenal. Same with the 2C except they never got bad. The production variation is mad with Audeze headphones that you have to compare individual units. If you get a good X it will be a better headphone but the majority are just okay, boarding bright and thin. I preferred almost all the 2Cs I've heard. All Audeze headphones have a similar bass level but if you want more impact, dynamics then I would say grab an LCD-4 if you want more or a Verum 1 if you want cleaner, more precise bass with improved timbre and vocals too.

It sounds like you might wanna grab something like a TH900 or the Fostex variants if you want impact.

Hyperbolic nonsense.

A more accurate way to put the above is that there are slight variations between units, as with every manufacturer, the headphones respond more than average to amp pairings, and the frequency response has a dip that bothers some people much more than others.

I've heard 5 or 6 sets at this point, on all manner of gear, and I've never heard a substantial difference that wasn't quite obviously the result of the amp pairing. OTL or weaker amps will generally make these sound thinner and harsher.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #5,689 of 7,335
Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #5,690 of 7,335
Explain? If you even can. There's enough data out there to show the variance.

Yeah? Can it demonstrate that it's not just variation between measurement rigs, or between pad conditions, or between placement on the measurement device? Can it demonstrate that this variance exceeds the inescapable variance to be found in any headphones due to the manufacturing process? Can it demonstrate that the sample is truly randomized and of sufficient size, and not just cherrypicked from people who think their X sounds off? Can it demonstrate the wide subjective range you've stated of "awful," "just okay," and "phenomenal"? If so, I'd love to see this evidence.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #5,691 of 7,335
Yeah? Can it demonstrate that it's not just variation between measurement rigs, or between pad conditions, or between placement on the measurement device? Can it demonstrate that this variance exceeds the inescapable variance to be found in any headphones due to the manufacturing process? Can it demonstrate that the sample is truly randomized and of sufficient size, and not just cherrypicked from people who think their X sounds off? Can it demonstrate the wide subjective range you've stated of "awful," "just okay," and "phenomenal"? If so, I'd love to see this evidence.
There's enough data on the same rig. Just because you're niave to it doesnt mean it's not true. Funny this was first bought up by Tyll who's measured various Audeze headphones. I've had 5 X's in front of me at one point and they all sounded different and only one of them managed to resolve well. I guess it's all hyper boll because someone on the Internet said so who's probably never measured nor listened to two of the same unit.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #5,692 of 7,335
There's enough data on the same rig. Just because you're niave to it doesnt mean it's not true. Funny this was first bought up by Tyll who's measured various Audeze headphones. I've had 5 X's in front of me at one point and they all sounded different and only one of them managed to resolve well. I guess it's all hyper boll because someone on the Internet said so who's probably never measured nor listened to two of the same unit.

Oh, you mean that article where he says, "Also, please remember that headphone measurements are notoriously difficult, and while I try to be very careful the data is not 100% reliable. So please, don't try to read too much into these data, especially above 5kHz where many factors come into play"? Or are you referring to the LCD-4 review where he chalks up the measured differences to damage and not to unit variation: "It is unknown whether it left the factory in this state; I find it more likely, given Audeze's QC practices, that this headphone suffered damage some time thereafter. His headphone also had significant distortion and is, in my mind known to be faulty and not representative of currently manufactured product." I'll stick with considering what you said earlier to be hyperbolic nonsense.

Apr 20, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #5,693 of 7,335
Oh, you mean that article where he says, "Also, please remember that headphone measurements are notoriously difficult, and while I try to be very careful the data is not 100% reliable. So please, don't try to read too much into these data, especially above 5kHz where many factors come into play"? Or are you referring to the LCD-4 review where he chalks up the measured differences to damage and not to unit variation: "It is unknown whether it left the factory in this state; I find it more likely, given Audeze's QC practices, that this headphone suffered damage some time thereafter. His headphone also had significant distortion and is, in my mind known to be faulty and not representative of currently manufactured product." I'll stick with considering what you said earlier to be hyperbolic nonsense.
You really are naive.

Apr 20, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #5,694 of 7,335
Just a humble advice @phthora, don't waste your energy fighting delusional members on head-fi. 'Ignore' function can be quite useful on this site.

Apr 20, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #5,695 of 7,335
Should he block himself then? Odd.

Apr 21, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #5,696 of 7,335
Hyperbolic nonsense.

A more accurate way to put the above is that there are slight variations between units, as with every manufacturer, the headphones respond more than average to amp pairings, and the frequency response has a dip that bothers some people much more than others.

I've heard 5 or 6 sets at this point, on all manner of gear, and I've never heard a substantial difference that wasn't quite obviously the result of the amp pairing. OTL or weaker amps will generally make these sound thinner and harsher.

Yeah I've tried several as well and Im under the same impression as you.

Apr 21, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #5,697 of 7,335
Hyperbolic nonsense.

Agreed. Any item regarding electronics is susceptible to minor manufacturing variances. Unfortunately not all headphones, CPUs, etc. are created equal. Audeze is definitely within the margin of error though; I’ve also heard over 4 sets and none stood out as “off”.

Apr 21, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #5,698 of 7,335
Agreed. Any item regarding electronics is susceptible to minor manufacturing variances. Unfortunately not all headphones, CPUs, etc. are created equal. Audeze is definitely within the margin of error though; I’ve also heard over 4 sets and none stood out as “off”.

And therein lies the rub, I've heard 3 different sets, including mine, and you're right in that none of them sounded off, but they certainly didn't sound the same. Mine has a slightly hard etched upper midrange, one had a slightly brighter treble than mine without displaying that harder midrange edge, and one had an overall rounder sound in that it was slightly "tubey" in tonality.

Don't get me wrong, each were perfectly fine headphones, and if heard in isolation nobody would complain about the sound quality. However for me as somebody who produces music I've now had to retire my LCD2C as I simply can't trust what it's telling me. it now sits on a hanger looking cool, and it does look cool.

As a comparison I've used numerous Beyerdynamic DT1990s and they all sound identical, apart from when somebody has left the B-Pads on. So as I can trust it that's my HP of choice now.

Apr 21, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #5,699 of 7,335
Greetings to everyone! I'm in the process of upgrading my headphones and amp. I currently use the Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm headphones.
In a few days I will be receiving the Lcd 2C. My current dac/amp is the Ifi idac 2, which does not have a particularly powerful amplifier. I am contemplating on getting an Audio Gd R2R 11. Will this dac/amp, power the Lcd 2C's to their full potential? If anyone has any insight with this combo, I would be grateful of their input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back