Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Jan 16, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #1,681 of 7,334
Anyone notice any imbalances with their 2C's? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here, but I swear there's a 2-3db difference to the right on mine. I have to change the computer balance to make the sound feel center to my head. Otherwise songs seem too heavy on the right side. I'm fairly certain I'm not deaf lol, and my he-400i's don't exhibit the same behavior.

Jan 16, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #1,682 of 7,334
Anyone notice any imbalances with their 2C's? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here, but I swear there's a 2-3db difference to the right on mine. I have to change the computer balance to make the sound feel center to my head. Otherwise songs seem too heavy on the right side. I'm fairly certain I'm not deaf lol, and my he-400i's don't exhibit the same behavior.
Flip the headphones backwards, left on right ear and right on left ear, lift each side off and check to see if the balance switches sides or if the sound stays the same. My right ear's hearing is a bit quieter than my left and I thought it was my headphones at first.

Jan 16, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #1,683 of 7,334
Flip the headphones backwards, left on right ear and right on left ear, lift each side off and check to see if the balance switches sides or if the sound stays the same. My right ear's hearing is a bit quieter than my left and I thought it was my headphones at first.
Adding onto this, try swapping the cables and see if you hear the same thing.

Jan 16, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #1,685 of 7,334
Mine are louder on the left side. Doesn't matter if I the blue or red connection is in the left side.

I put the headphones on backwards, the imbalance favors the right. I am shocked that $600 headphones show such poor quality control. Don't they have someone listen to these for a few minutes before they go out?

Jan 16, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #1,686 of 7,334
Mine are louder on the left side. Doesn't matter if I the blue or red connection is in the left side.

I put the headphones on backwards, the imbalance favors the right. I am shocked that $600 headphones show such poor quality control. Don't they have someone listen to these for a few minutes before they go out?
Now you're hearing it ?

Jan 17, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #1,689 of 7,334
I think there are 2 ways to look at this. IMO many DACs have a forward and edgy treble response, it seems to be the norm with so many modern digital front ends. Is it Sabre chips or just DS DACs in general. Not wanting to get into any arguments or go too off topic, but a lot of the HP issues can come down to the integrity of the source. The wire with gain statement, it is so wrong IMO. It is a sum of the components that make up the end system. And if there is a general trend of brighter detail freak DACs, then there is a market for a coloured (if you want to call it) HP that makes the best of those sources, tries to fix the digititous of it. Or we hit the pause button after 15 minutes and start surfing Agon for something else (again).

But as you go up the range with DACs this slowly becomes less of an issue IMO, and you can then chase 'wire with gain' type HPs, the noses that reveal more detail. So maybe when we discuss a HP and how it sounds, better or worse in that persons opinion, we also need to take into account the source, it has a huge impact on the HP. After all, we are talking of a speaker millimetres away from the ear, and one that is low mass and not filtered / affected by room acoustics. It has the potential to be a microscope to the source with all it's flaws.

My view on my Stax 009 is it is a microscope to the sound, and without a great amp and great DAC it is not the a great HP. It really does need the source to be well sorted first. Other HPs are much more forgiving IMO, and possibly that is a strength in the LCD2 not a weakness, for the sector it is marketed for?
Very good point. The LCD-2 is a very revealing (albeit forgiving) headphone, so the source is an important consideration. It’s also very power hungry - feed it with a weak source and all sorts of weird stuff is going to happen. I tend to prefer warm or neutral sound to bright and analytical (which usually passes for neutral these days) so feed my cans with slightly warmer sources: I’m also very treble sensitive, so to me ‘crisp’ treble is also harsh and sibilant. All depends on your preferences, but I find the LCD-2 perfectly balanced up top and richly extended down low, just how I like it.

Jan 17, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #1,690 of 7,334
Sharp treble? Yikes. When I think sharp treble I think about the Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (dear lord idk how anyone actually enjoys that atrocity)

The highs don't jump out and wow me on the 2C, but they are just in the right place to enjoy what I'm listening to for as long as I want without fatigue or headaches.

You can take your "neutral" or "reference" and shove it

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #1,691 of 7,334
Sorry to barge into the discussion, but do you guys happen to know how long it takes for Audeze to ship out the LCD-2C? I ordered about a week ago, and Audeze's website still says "Processed - Waiting to Ship".

Jan 17, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #1,692 of 7,334
CES took their staff outta the office last week, so I imagine they fell behind. And now Fed Ex is a bottleneck. How do you think 1 microminimillimeter drivers withstand 12 degree temps for 24 hours?

Jan 17, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #1,693 of 7,334
Sorry to barge into the discussion, but do you guys happen to know how long it takes for Audeze to ship out the LCD-2C? I ordered about a week ago, and Audeze's website still says "Processed - Waiting to Ship".

I took a call with Audeze yesterday morning and they confirmed what inmytaxi assumed above: CES delays have bottlenecked nearly all of the shipments. Per the rep on the phone, all pending LCD-2 Classic orders are scheduled to depart tomorrow (Thursday 1/18) or Friday 1/19/18.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #1,695 of 7,334
I came, I saw, I purchased.

I've been eyeing LCD-2's for years. I've heard fazor vs non-fazor, and I couldn't tell much of a difference. But what I can tell a difference between is comfort, seriously headband straps a life.

The only other pair that I'm currently interested in, in my price range, are the Aeons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back