Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Jan 9, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #1,561 of 7,334
Question for those people using these with a Magni 3 .. from what I am reading the Magni 3 is a warmer-than-neutral amp whereas the Magni 2 Uber was described as being a bit bright.

Since these headphones are also described as on the warmer side — does using them with a Magni 3 not make them too warm?

I am considering buying the Magni 3 to compare to my Magni 2 Uber — not because of needing more power but more because of how much of an internal improvement the 3 is supposed to be over the 2 Uber.

I don’t foresee me grabbing any new headphones for music for a long time, so any desktop DAC and Amp I’d be using specifically for these headphones. Thoughts?

Jan 9, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #1,562 of 7,334
Question for those people using these with a Magni 3 .. from what I am reading the Magni 3 is a warmer-than-neutral amp whereas the Magni 2 Uber was described as being a bit bright.

Since these headphones are also described as on the warmer side — does using them with a Magni 3 not make them too warm?

I am considering buying the Magni 3 to compare to my Magni 2 Uber — not because of needing more power but more because of how much of an internal improvement the 3 is supposed to be over the 2 Uber.

I don’t foresee me grabbing any new headphones for music for a long time, so any desktop DAC and Amp I’d be using specifically for these headphones. Thoughts?

I don't have Magni 2 Uber but a Magni 3 and the LCD-2C sounds as good as they can sound through it (afaik, the Magni 3 doesn't have any kind of coloration in their sound, perfect flat response across the spectre and very low distorsion and output impedance values), so you can accurately hear the "warm" character of the headphone as it is.

For those who don't like very much the distant-relaxed character of the LCD-2C sound profile, just give Soundworks True Fi a try with the LCD-2 profile and +6 dB of bass gain (or +8 if you're a bass head) and tell me what do you think. :L3000:

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #1,564 of 7,334
Spent more time with my LCD2C tonight. In a word I would describe it as an honest headphone. Sub bass is presented if it’s on the recording and highs are clean without harshness. I’m hearing more clarity in the midrange than I’m used to which brings out more detail. These are a keeper for sure! Major thumbs up for sure.

Jan 9, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #1,565 of 7,334
Just received my LCD2C in the mail! Driving it through an unconventional set up of PC -> ZuperDac -> Emotiva BasX A-100, which is also connected to Kef Q100 on my desk.

Switching between LCD2C with the speakers really shows the body of the sound, especially the bass, with the Hills by The Weeknd. At the same time, I am pleasantly surprised to find the treble in the music. When I auditioned the LCD2 Bamboo, I found that piano was hard to hear in Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No.3 in D minor during the more complex parts; however, I can easily keep track of the piano through the instruments with LCD2C, but obviously not as emphasized on the Grados which I've also auditioned. Compared to my only other over-ear headphones, M50x, the difference in bass between the two is apparent. I finally understand what "texture" and "fast-ness" of the Audeze are about....It demonstrates the subtle details in lower end which I have never heard before, and still have a hard time looking for those notes and changes when switched back to M50x.

Overall, the engaging sound and solid build make this a satisfactory buy. My wallet is still in pain, but my ears, even the top of my head, are content.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #1,566 of 7,334
Apologies for the horrible picture, but I grabbed some parts to reterminate my LCD2Cs to balanced (in this case, I just built a cable because I wanted extra length as well).

Parts List:
  • Sennheiser HD650 cable #092885 (already had an extra and they're great for the price)
  • 2x Switchcraft #TA4FX Tini-QG "Mini XLR" 4 Pin Female Cable Mount, Silver Pins, Nickel
  • Switchcraft #AAA4MZ AAA Series 4 Pin XLR Male Cable Mount, Silver Pins / Nickel Metal
SWkM01QQzmzBVWAiekjpND6k59RoxUCBCtg9J2_WMR12_qQtlBwbBEgb-1GQSxuTtOFQo-ENv4uVqDQ_eB-XBtYa6Yhin2rP35lsdTvduYUBzbEYO3IbR5hFl5m7QywC-eA4d-1mJs5x0URqq11QLFiPr5tcyL5SN7wCqYC8w5wBL5BrlJmvMddr4PhHqCZCNQqKb4mw4K-Nsq2J3Sr_GHM5fdl4MhyTVHDFbECqgHjEYb7g8lQ6tf1WHLfuqw1rlMj_yJkUeG9ZYVlpx65GZcAauo_vA-EgjUlLvghPeAD01Mb2B86FFDNfho7RQgjyWZgXm2zC0neZfbyg_uiG8VxeDcPl8YI907_1wjQ9qLdO9TDYaoZmIax6AXz20geS1unM3SXQWYMSDRTzuhnPjgp7J9CenL89ylpa0lT5ykNONRP1aQg65rACTQ07hMyRy1sLy42XL7XvPgLvbgKxGH7cF_5oM7apVcCSvTGvSsiBgRHKdZBwRd9V70ZSLButW_bCVm3GltHuMDH33odrE6bo5W61zUj88N3F--ncW1TpFmdnJo1ZrIG_9_hFLbORKC8TIW_rpVIYkvmUFHsK5gNbWtgfH12kXcSaEVp5=w394-h958-no

The wiring pinout that can be found here is still accurate for the LCD2 Classic: http://www.diyaudioblog.com/2011/11/custom-audeze-balanced-headphone-cable.html

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #1,567 of 7,334
I have a SteelSeries Siberia V2 that I use when I need a mic, and coming out of my motherboard onboard it has more bass than my LCD-2C's... Granted gaming headphones are more about "oomph", but I've never had a set of bass cannons, and certainly not Beats. The bass is anemic out of my HP-A4 and considering it's power rating that I didn't pay enough attention too when I bought it, it has to be that.

Sounds like a problem with either 1. Your source 2. Your source material or 3. Your ears being confused by using the Siberia so much they've been accustomed to artificially inflated bass on tracks that shouldn't have it.

Jan 9, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #1,568 of 7,334
Yeah I guy don't get it. I'm not trying to be filling this thread with nonsense but I can't see you ever think these headphones are bass light. Even with a weak source they are boomy as ****

Jan 9, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #1,569 of 7,334
I mean if you wanted to say the 400is are a bit weak I'd agree with you. But the classics? What are you smoking??

Jan 10, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #1,571 of 7,334
Sounds like a problem with either 1. Your source 2. Your source material or 3. Your ears being confused by using the Siberia so much they've been accustomed to artificially inflated bass on tracks that shouldn't have it.
I’d say it’s probably the latter. Coming from a Fostex TH-X00, the LCD’s “lack of bass” is quite startling, but then you need to let your brain adjust to the sound and suddenly the penny drops and you realize just how much quality bass it has. Bassy headphones do just that - artificially add bass to everything. It’s like putting dollops of salt on everything and then biting into something without salt. Takes a while but soon enough you discover how much more you can actually taste without it. Maybe not the best analogy but you get the point. That’s why I have two headphones (and some have many more) - different flavours. I never put on my LCDs right after listening to the Atticus for that very reason, and vice versa. Each have their unique signatures and I enjoy both but independently of each other.

Jan 10, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #1,572 of 7,334
Edit: The bass is out now with great precision. Love the phones!

Hi Newbie from Canada,

Im pairing Schiit Jotunheim w DAC connected to my sportify on iPhone 6s plus, bass is weak. Listening to them for 7 hours for the past 3 days. iTunes AALS is better but still not too good. As I listen to Christian music, there are not too many good music quality songs out there. I use B&W P9 for reference, Beyerdynamic DT1770 pro and HIFIMan 400i (sold). So I know bass quantity is not enough. Any good equalizer software you can recommend for either my Macbook air or iPhone? equalizer as a separate component. That will be greatly appreciated ! And I order balanced xlr cable on eBay to take advantage of the
Jotunheim balanced out. hopefully that may help. In Canada I just can't return the LCD2C, fedex us70 and 13% SALES TAX, I WILL LOSE A LOT.

please help with 1. EQ software that can control Sportify,or iTunes 2. Separate EQ component hardware or any other tweaks

Like I said i am new, but i think my experience may help other with the decision of amp choice. When I first go the LCD2C, I tried with high gain in Jotunheim and turned to acceptable level. I dislike the higher noise floor (maybe its a bad connection or wrong songs), so had been using the low gain but it was good. just that when there should be strong powerful drums, bass etc, there was somewhat lacking. yesterday i decided to use high gain and left it on for the whole night. it improves so much. so my experience is that power amp is absolutely necessary (HE400! too). can't wait for my balance cable to come in! Good listen everyone. Im just interested to find the right sound for me to enjoy. if I offended anyone of you in anyway, sorry. Most likely you have better taste and better ear then I am :) cheers

Jan 10, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #1,573 of 7,334
Taking this from a related FB conversation regarding the LCD-2Cs bass, the quote below is coming from a musician friend:

"Just did some tests on one of my own tunes (Fixate & Skeptical - Rig Monkey). LCD-2C are present, tight and weighty down below 30hz. Make my DT 770s sound bloated and exaggerated in the bottom end and everything else really quite thin (Beyerdynamics are the 250ohm version only being powered by an RME UCX). HD 25s feel very forwards and pushed but they are not even really comparible. LCD2 and HD25 both 70ohm versions."

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #1,574 of 7,334
Like I said i am new, but i think my experience may help other with the decision of amp choice. When I first go the LCD2C, I tried with high gain in Jotunheim and turned to acceptable level. I dislike the higher noise floor (maybe its a bad connection or wrong songs), so had been using the low gain but it was good. just that when there should be strong powerful drums, bass etc, there was somewhat lacking. yesterday i decided to use high gain and left it on for the whole night. it improves so much. so my experience is that power amp is absolutely necessary (HE400! too). can't wait for my balance cable to come in! Good listen everyone. Im just interested to find the right sound for me to enjoy. if I offended anyone of you in anyway, sorry. Most likely you have better taste and better ear then I am :) cheers

I searched around a bit about high vs. low gain a couple weeks ago, and people seemed to say that low gain is better.

However, I and many others subjectively find that high gain sounds weightier and more impactful, and thus 'better'

I'm interested to hear what others think about high vs. low gain with their LCD-2

Jan 10, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #1,575 of 7,334
I searched around a bit about high vs. low gain a couple weeks ago, and people seemed to say that low gain is better.

However, I and many others subjectively find that high gain sounds weightier and more impactful, and thus 'better'

I'm interested to hear what others think about high vs. low gain with their LCD-2
I was reading an interesting article from the techies at ifi that suggest the optimal volume pot setting for an amp is loud but normal at 1PM to 3PM. I'm at that on low gain on my Matrix HPA-3B and LCD-2. But then it also depends on your source and dynamic range - some recordings are just very low volume, and some compressed modern recordings are extremely loud in comparison. My Matrix has 3 gain settings, so I take the middle road and leave it on medium gain. Likewise my ifi iDSD Micro is left on normal (rather than eco or turbo). I generally find high gain to raise the noise floor too much and to artificially bloat the music at higher volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back