Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Jan 1, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #1,381 of 7,334
Always a pleasure reading the new posts in this thread! I talked to Amazon and i'm able to return my Fostex HP-A4 (which is too bad, I really liked the unit itself) so I could get something more powerful to hopefully resolve the lack of bass i'm seeing with these.

So far I'm looking at a $350 budget. In the running are:

- Audio GD NFB-11.28 (pain in the a** to order apparently, but seem well regarded)
- JDS The Element (I saw that @scoopbb had this, and like what I've heard on customer service)
- Matrix HPA-2 CLASSIC (Audeze themselves recommended the HPA-3, but it's just above my budget and the A-2 specs look like they would work)
- Schiit Magni 3/ Modi 2U (Not my first choice, but if I can get the job done for ~$250 and it *sounds good* then I'll be a happy camper)

As you can tell, I really want a dac/amp combo but would settle for a dual setup (Schiit stack). Can anyone here with a LCD-2C comment on how these sound as far as bass delivery? Thanks for the read and responses in advance!

Jan 1, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #1,382 of 7,334
I hear a weird popping noise when you press the pads down for a good seal. I think its pressure popping the diaphragm because of the super tight seal. Could this possibly contribute to frequent driver failure? Very strange and I have heard mention of it with multiple Audeze models.

Anyone else experiencing this?

My EL-8 OB had the same issue. Sold them and moved on but I wanna get back in the Audeze over-ear game. I'm finding my iSine 20's enjoyable with every listen.

Jan 1, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #1,383 of 7,334
@arftech @Andrew Rieger @gLer @ShamuellJackson @franz12

Let's get more data on the crinkle/pop. I don't think it's actually a problem. I've been talking to people on other sites as well and it seems like it's a common thing and happens on other headphones with very thin diaphragms (e.g. Stax, other thin Audeze headphones).

Info like this would be useful for people who don't get any kind of rice krispies sound when putting the headphones on: Do you have long hair that could break the seal? Do you wear glasses, alo breaking the seal? Is your face/head shaped in such a way that you don't get a great seal? If you don't normally get the crinkling sound when you put them on, do you get it if you push down on the cups?

As far as I can tell, this is not a quality control issue at all and is simply something that occurs for people who get a good seal on headphones with particularly thin diaphragms.

I'll try to get in touch with Audeze this week to find out if it is an issue.

Also, I compiled my thoughts a bit more and posted them as a review if you want to see it all in one place instead of scattered across this thread: Audeze LCD2 Classic Review

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #1,384 of 7,334
I stopped by Echo Audio in Portland this past weekend to audition a few different headphones. I A/B'd the LCD-3, LCD-2F, LCD-X, and HD800S, but only had time for a few tracks off Black Messiah by D'angelo & The Vanguard, an album I know really well.

They didn't have the Classics, and I haven't had a chance to give them a proper listen on a proper source yet, but I wanted to get some ideas about the other LCD offerings.

I can't go into much detail, but I will say I didn't enjoy the LCD-3. They didn't have a lot of body, and didn't give off that warm feeling people talk about so much. But perhaps they just don't do R&B very well.

LCD-2F were very similar to me, although perhaps a little less detailed.

LCD-X----wow! I loved these. Definitely my preferred sound signature, however switching between a tube set-up and solid state was like night and day. I thought the solid state sounded much better...I can't remember the exact models they had there in store.

Anyway, I'm hoping the LCD-2C is similar to the X, or I might be disappointed.
How did you like LCD line ups vs HD800S? I'm thinking of ordering HD800S, so just wondering.

Jan 1, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #1,385 of 7,334
How did you like LCD line ups vs HD800S? I'm thinking of ordering HD800S, so just wondering.
I was pleasantly surprised by the 800S tbh. It was more similar to the LCD-2 and 3 than the others though. It definitely felt like it had more body and warmth than the previous 800. Of course it felt more airy than the LCD series, and the presentation felt a bit more distant, but I can’t recall much more than that.

I wish I’d had more time to listen, and a wider variety of tracks, but my girlfriend was unimpressed and wanted to leave haha. She couldn’t tell the difference between any of them.

Jan 1, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #1,387 of 7,334
That's kind of amazing. Thanks for explaining!

Sounds like I could download this plugin for my Windows 7 machine w/JRiver & go from there. Does it matter which version of JRiver one has? I'm stalled out a v17, for various reasons...

(oh, wait--I need to own an Audeze headphone for this to work. I knew there was a catch!)

That would be a question for Audeze, I don't use JRiver. However, worse comes to worst, you can grab Equalizer APO (free) and apply it there.

I mean it's ideal if you have an Audeze headphone, but you technically don't need one. :p

Let's get more data on the crinkle/pop. I don't think it's actually a problem. I've been talking to people on other sites as well and it seems like it's a common thing and happens on other headphones with very thin diaphragms (e.g. Stax, other thin Audeze headphones).

Info like this would be useful for people who don't get any kind of rice krispies sound when putting the headphones on: Do you have long hair that could break the seal? Do you wear glasses, alo breaking the seal? Is your face/head shaped in such a way that you don't get a great seal? If you don't normally get the crinkling sound when you put them on, do you get it if you push down on the cups?

As far as I can tell, this is not a quality control issue at all and is simply something that occurs for people who get a good seal on headphones with particularly thin diaphragms.

Also, I compiled my thoughts a bit more and posted them as a review if you want to see it all in one place instead of scattered across this thread: Audeze LCD2 Classic Stream of Consciousness Review
I don't get any crinkling at all, even if I push them against my head. I do wear glasses, though. But, I don't hear driver crinkling even if I remove my glasses and push them against my head.
I do hear something that sounds like crinking, but it's not the driver, it's the sound of the pads compressing (I confirmed this my breaking the seal on the front half of the pad, and compressing the back half.

What does the crinkling sound sound like? Can you describe it?

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #1,389 of 7,334
Lmao. Yeah, but to be fair she listened for a grand total of like 20 seconds. Gotta get her into headphones as soon as I get some more spare money.

I bet she won’t be really interested in headphone things. Generally, women are not really interested in this hobby. I do not know why.

Jan 1, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #1,390 of 7,334
I'm surprised they are still being sold for $599 since the Audeze site states: "Holiday Special Price $599 (MSRP $799)". I paid $650 last year for used LCD-2 Black Aluminum bodied w/ Fazors and vegan pads / band. I think I like the headband on the LCD-2c over the standard since it's wider, similar to the carbon fiber upgraded one. I noticed that the LCD-2c states "leather free" ear pads. Maybe pleather? I think I would rather have the lamb skin or the vegan pads.

Jan 1, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #1,391 of 7,334

Also, I compiled my thoughts a bit more and posted them as a review if you want to see it all in one place instead of scattered across this thread: Audeze LCD2 Classic Stream of Consciousness Review

I still haven't heard the pop but I do have really long hair, wear glasses, wear earrings (some old small hoops from my late grams), not sure about head shape but I still feel there is a seal when I take off the LCD2C. When I press down on the cups when they are not plugged into anything I still don't think I hear a crinkle/pop or anything.

Jan 2, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #1,393 of 7,334
I'm not sure what kind of the pop sound people have been hearing. Switching this hp with other continuously for comparison, never experienced such thingy

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #1,394 of 7,334
I've only had my LCD-2 crinkle / pop once when I bumped them against something unintentionally while wearing them and the ear pad compressed. My Hifiman HE-400i are easy to get them to pop with minor compression on the pads (or when putting them on quickly), with one side being worse than the other, which can be concerning. On my Stax, those pops usually result in tiny burn marks / holes on the film.

Jan 2, 2018 at 5:07 AM Post #1,395 of 7,334
Sounds like an odd question, but any tips for the best placement on the head for comfort? I'm currently getting a headache on the top of my head when I wear them. I didn't have this (that I can remember) from the LCDX so this is surprising and disappointing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back