Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Nov 28, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #7,051 of 7,334
Hi guys. Is the 2C the closest thing to the original non fazor “creamy” LCD2? Can anyone who owns both compare? Thanks in advance!
I don't own both, but from what I read it's the closest thing to an original LCD-2 that you can buy

Dec 1, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #7,054 of 7,334
My balanced cable arrived for my LCD 2C's... they have opened up really well! I am definitely a believer!

Dec 1, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #7,055 of 7,334
Tried my Black Friday LCD 2C's...
Audeze just picked up a big time fan.
Best I own now, and beautifully made, right here in the USA...
👍
I will say there really is nothing like holding a pair of Audeze in your hands. They're just gorgeous pieces that look beautiful on the stand.

Dec 1, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #7,056 of 7,334
Hey everyone! I’m seriously considering the Classics as an upgrade from my DT900 Pro X. Other options I’m considering are the LCD-2CB or maybe stretching my budget for an X (although at that price point more options open up like the th900 and the Atticus). I would appreciate it if someone could clear some things up for me:

1. How do the LCD-2C compare to the 2CB (both latest versions) in terms of impact/slam, staging and general FR issues ?
  2. Some of my local dealers carry them but how do I know they are the 2022 version? I know it definitely needs to be the version with the case but how can I tell the 2022 one? Is the difference in FR significant enough to order a 2022 pair from abroad or I can get away with the 2021 version ?
  3. How do the Classics present percussion? I like a sound where kick drums and especially snares take centre stage and slam right in your face (yeah I listen to rock/metal lol)
  4. Does running them balanced benefit dynamics and overall sound enough to justify purchasing a separate balanced amp? I will be running them off an RME ADI 2 DAC FS and/or a Schiit Magni 3+. I can get a used THX789 for a good price if balanced makes a big difference.
  5. Somewhat off-topic but maybe someone here knows: Regarding the 2CB, what is the difference between the version with the huge white A logo on the side and the newer marble-y audeze logo?

Hope I didn’t tire you, thanks everyone in advance!

Dec 2, 2022 at 2:35 AM Post #7,058 of 7,334
Which cable have you bought? Was there a big audible difference?
I bought on ali-express I find the bass has tightened up and a bit wider soundstage... just came today, but I noticed a difference right away

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #7,059 of 7,334
Listening with my LCD-2C tonight (last 3 days in fact) always an enjoyable listen, one of my fav cans (with my fav cable, my own precious lol), no wonder they're a classic! Simply beautiful!

I3YNLpu.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #7,060 of 7,334
Some of my local dealers carry them but how do I know they are the 2022 version? I know it definitely needs to be the version with the case but how can I tell the 2022 one? Is the difference in FR significant enough to order a 2022 pair from abroad or I can get away with the 2021 version ?
There is no 2022 Version.
In late 2020 all headphones received the new earpads and the classic received the transport case.

If it has the case, it's the "latest" Version.

The LCD-X received new drivers in addition and therefore has a real 2021 Version.
Neither headphone received further changes in 2022

Dec 2, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #7,061 of 7,334
Hey everyone! I’m seriously considering the Classics as an upgrade from my DT900 Pro X. Other options I’m considering are the LCD-2CB or maybe stretching my budget for an X (although at that price point more options open up like the th900 and the Atticus). I would appreciate it if someone could clear some things up for me:

1. How do the LCD-2C compare to the 2CB (both latest versions) in terms of impact/slam, staging and general FR issues ?
  2. Some of my local dealers carry them but how do I know they are the 2022 version? I know it definitely needs to be the version with the case but how can I tell the 2022 one? Is the difference in FR significant enough to order a 2022 pair from abroad or I can get away with the 2021 version ?
  3. How do the Classics present percussion? I like a sound where kick drums and especially snares take centre stage and slam right in your face (yeah I listen to rock/metal lol)
  4. Does running them balanced benefit dynamics and overall sound enough to justify purchasing a separate balanced amp? I will be running them off an RME ADI 2 DAC FS and/or a Schiit Magni 3+. I can get a used THX789 for a good price if balanced makes a big difference.
  5. Somewhat off-topic but maybe someone here knows: Regarding the 2CB, what is the difference between the version with the huge white A logo on the side and the newer marble-y audeze logo?

Hope I didn’t tire you, thanks everyone in advance!
The LCD-2C is an EXCELLENT rock headphone because it has good bass punch and slam for a planar, has aggressive but not shrill mids and rolled-off treble. That's great for rock recordings in the last 30 years, in which the loudness wars have replaced quality mixing with sheer volume.

The LCD-2C is not a transparent magnifying glass into the original recording, which is good for poorly mixed rock tracks. You don't want to hear every flaw or imperfection, and the rolled-off treble helps to neuter the sonic mush that many modern rock recordings turn into because of the loudness wars and poor mixing and mastering.

Dec 2, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #7,062 of 7,334
In my experience it is worth going for the new lcd2f or lcdx. The lcd2c are too rough around the edges. The sound is not as polished as with the lcd2f or lcdx, which have noticably more of everything over the lcd2c. My favourite is the lcd2f, cos it has a nice balance between second row portrayal of the stage and tehnicalities, plus some of the old school 2009 lcd2 pre fazor romanticism.

Dec 2, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #7,063 of 7,334
There is no 2022 Version.
In late 2020 all headphones received the new earpads and the classic received the transport case.

If it has the case, it's the "latest" Version.

The LCD-X received new drivers in addition and therefore has a real 2021 Version.
Neither headphone received further changes in 2022
Thanks for clearing that up! I was confused because a few pages back there were mentions of a 2021 and a 2022 2C model but I guess it’s all the same 2020 model then!
The LCD-2C is an EXCELLENT rock headphone because it has good bass punch and slam for a planar, has aggressive but not shrill mids and rolled-off treble. That's great for rock recordings in the last 30 years, in which the loudness wars have replaced quality mixing with sheer volume.

The LCD-2C is not a transparent magnifying glass into the original recording, which is good for poorly mixed rock tracks. You don't want to hear every flaw or imperfection, and the rolled-off treble helps to neuter the sonic mush that many modern rock recordings turn into because of the loudness wars and poor mixing and mastering.
Thanks, that makes me feel much better about buying it blind (can’t demo it here). I don’t need a magnifying glass, my Beyers are really good in that regard and that’s why I needed another pair just for pure fun! The Beyers have decent impact after EQ but I can’t turn the volume up cause of the treble spike, plus they don’t take well to EQing the bass. Do you think the 2C would be a nice complimentary pair to a bright pair such as the 900 Pro X? After lots of reading I’ve narrowed it down to the 2C and the 2 closed back!

In my experience it is worth going for the new lcd2f or lcdx. The lcd2c are too rough around the edges. The sound is not as polished as with the lcd2f or lcdx, which have noticably more of everything over the lcd2c. My favourite is the lcd2f, cos it has a nice balance between second row portrayal of the stage and tehnicalities, plus some of the old school 2009 lcd2 pre fazor romanticism.

LCD-2F is impossible to find in Europe, unfortunately! The X is interesting but I would need to stretch my budget by about 500€ and apparently get less bass slam and more treble, something I’m not sure I want coming from a brighter HP such as the Beyer!

Dec 3, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #7,064 of 7,334
I disagree. Having had both the lcd-2c and the lcd-x updated versions side by side, there is plenty of reason to choose the classic over the x. The x is a more neutral sound with more highs and the c has more bass impact and forward mids.the lcd-x does not have a huge amount of more detail than the 2c. So if you still want a detailed headphone with a bit more bass that's a little more fun sounding and less neutral, the 2c fits the bill. If you want a bit more neutrality, the x fits the bill.

Dec 4, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #7,065 of 7,334
On god 99% of times when you see someone raving about the "detail" of a headphone all they're responding to is extra treble. Like, yeah, a headphone is gonna sound like it's more "revealing" and "defined" if you up the section of the frequency response where all the "details" exist. That's what the LCD-X is, an LCD with a tweaked frequency response so it's not as warm. That's what it's doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back