Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Oct 9, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #46 of 7,334
I don't really want to change from my LCD2.2........but I may be interested in the LCD2C because of the weight reduction and that horrible pressing on the top of my head I get with the originals.

Has anyone tried the new headband with the original LCD2?...........does it feel better?.........relieve that pressing on the head?

Thanks for any answers that may be forthcoming from those who have tried it out.

Oct 9, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #47 of 7,334
THe pricing is very attractive. For 600$ it is worth looking at. However, they claim its sound to be close to the original LCD2 with fazors.
I hope the weight is less and it has good specs to think about. Now look forward to some impressions.

Oct 9, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #49 of 7,334
You mean withOUT fazors, correct?
Definitely pre-fazor! That's the whole point of the 'Classic'. Really looking forward to these, and any impressions from current Philips Fidelio X2 owners as to how they contrast/compare? (And likewise owners of Fostex TH-X00 and ZMF Atticus - I've got a Fostex, getting an X2, and planning on adding an Atticus and/or LCD-2C down the line).

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #50 of 7,334
This has really caught my attention! I used to own a non fazored version of the lcd2 a while back and nothing ever made me feel the way I felt with the lcd2. I'm saving my pennies for these!

hey ,,, have you ever owned the HD650? If you have a pov on lcd2 vs 650 I'd much appreciate that. :)

Oct 9, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #51 of 7,334
I am in for LCD2C. Do they use the same mini 4 pin xlr as like the other Audeze LCDs.? I plan to order the connectors to build a balanced cable. Shipping from China takes a month for these to ship.

Can anyone confirm if the connectors are the same?

Oct 9, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #52 of 7,334
hey ,,, have you ever owned the HD650? If you have a pov on lcd2 vs 650 I'd much appreciate that. :)

hi! i have a senn 650, and i had a lcd2F..... to me and for my taste lcd2f was a 650 under steroids.lcd2 had more bass slam and (maybe) a little less detail, a better soundstage (650 has a narrow soundstage, very intimate) but after i had akg 712 soundstage seems always narrow. but lcd2 are too heavy, i used a custom made leather headband but i had always the feeling of wearing an helmet . and in the summer they are super sweaty.
in the end i sold the lcd2... kept the 650 that is a good all rounder, lighter, clamping force is a pain in the ass but it's the only flaw. i have an ifi idsd black label, if i switch the bass boost it's perfect... and if i switch the 3d effect, movies and videogames comes to life :)
i'm waiting for a review of this new/old lcd2, if they are more comfortable i'm planning to buy them along aeon open to make an a/b test.

Oct 9, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #53 of 7,334
Has anyone compared the original LCD-2 to the Philips Fidelio X2 in terms of soundstage, imaging, sound quality and overall signature?

Compared to LCD-2F. Soundstage, imaging is better on X2. Slightly more natural mids and cleaner highs on LCD-2. About the same amount of bass, but quality is noticeably better on LCD-2 (more "slam" and better textured).

Overall sound signature is very similar.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #54 of 7,334
Compared to LCD-2F. Soundstage, imaging is better on X2. Slightly more natural mids and cleaner highs on LCD-2. About the same amount of bass, but quality is noticeably better on LCD-2 (more "slam" and better textured).

Overall sound signature is very similar.
Thanks for that. How would you say they compare to a non-razor LCD-2 then?

As it is, it sounds like the X2 is in the LCD-2 "ballpark", which makes it a great value considering the price differential. I'm thinking the LCD-2C might make for a more 'refined' X2 replacement, or possibly even a complement, much like the ZMF Atticus would make for a more refined replacement/complement for the Fostex TH-X00. Those four (having only heard the original LCD-2 and not the LCD-2C) seem to be the headphones that not only match my sound preferences, but are also the best bang-for-buck of all the headphones I've been fortunate enough to hear.

Oct 9, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #55 of 7,334
Thanks for that. How would you say they compare to a non-razor LCD-2 then?
As it is, it sounds like the X2 is in the LCD-2 "ballpark", which makes it a great value considering the price differential.

I can't speak of non-Fazor LCD-2 as I've never heard one, hence I'm intrigued by this new-old LCD-2C.

And then speaking of X2... shortly after I've got one, my LCD-2F went for sale...

Oct 9, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #56 of 7,334
I can't speak of non-Fazor LCD-2 as I've never heard one, hence I'm intrigued by this new-old LCD-2C.

And then speaking of X2... shortly after I've got one, my LCD-2F went for sale...
That is high praise indeed. Hope my X2HR lives up to expectations later this month :)

Oct 9, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #58 of 7,334

Hey @daniel_hokkaido , here are my impressions versus a classic LCD2 rev 1 woodrose edition vs HD650.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ban...0-mdr7550-hd25-comparisons-and-review.765538/

TL;DR - I find the LCD2 to superior technically, have greater clarity, and extend further in both low and high frequencies. The HD650, however, has a presentation that has a bit more air to it, and can confer greater realism within certain ranges. Both are excellent. The HD650 is also very consistent from version to version, though I've only owned two silver driver versions.

Oct 10, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #59 of 7,334
Definitely pre-fazor! That's the whole point of the 'Classic'. Really looking forward to these, and any impressions from current Philips Fidelio X2 owners as to how they contrast/compare? (And likewise owners of Fostex TH-X00 and ZMF Atticus - I've got a Fostex, getting an X2, and planning on adding an Atticus and/or LCD-2C down the line).

I haven't heard X2, but I do own Fostex TH-X00 mahogany, EMU Teak, LCD-2F (2016), and Atticus. I have also auditioned a pre-fazor LCD-2. Out of all those I find the Atticus to be superior. It is closer to pre-fazor LCD-2 than to LCD-2F (2016) because it is more warm and bassy. The current LCD-2 is closer to neutral with a little bit of warmth. The Atticus digs down almost as low in sub-bass as LCD-2, but it has a mid-bass hump that makes it more bassy and thick than LCD-2. It slams with impact and punch in a similar way as TH-X00, maybe just a tad less bass quantity, but it is very closer. Mids on Atticus are superior to LCD-2 as they are more rich and lush, very similar to HD650 if you are familiar wth that. And as for build, the Atticus is on another league compared to TH-X00 and LCD-2. The Atticus wood and metal construction makes X00 and Teak feel like toys. I find the build to be more robust feeling than my aluminum LCD-2, but yet weighs less and is more comfortable. I think the Atticus is still the can to beat in the warm/bassy department.

Oct 10, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #60 of 7,334
I haven't heard X2, but I do own Fostex TH-X00 mahogany, EMU Teak, LCD-2F (2016), and Atticus. I have also auditioned a pre-fazor LCD-2. Out of all those I find the Atticus to be superior. It is closer to pre-fazor LCD-2 than to LCD-2F (2016) because it is more warm and bassy. The current LCD-2 is closer to neutral with a little bit of warmth. The Atticus digs down almost as low in sub-bass as LCD-2, but it has a mid-bass hump that makes it more bassy and thick than LCD-2. It slams with impact and punch in a similar way as TH-X00, maybe just a tad less bass quantity, but it is very closer. Mids on Atticus are superior to LCD-2 as they are more rich and lush, very similar to HD650 if you are familiar wth that. And as for build, the Atticus is on another league compared to TH-X00 and LCD-2. The Atticus wood and metal construction makes X00 and Teak feel like toys. I find the build to be more robust feeling than my aluminum LCD-2, but yet weighs less and is more comfortable. I think the Atticus is still the can to beat in the warm/bassy department.
Amazing feedback, thank you. Fostex-quality bass is the bar by which I judge most headphones now, so hoping the X2 can get close (granted they’re open) but offer something different in terms of soundstage and imaging (no point having two cans that basically sound similar). After that the Atticus and LCD-2C (reviews pending) are one and two on my hitlist. Hopefully I won’t have to sell the Fostex and Fidelio to afford them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back