Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Mar 27, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #5,626 of 7,334
I rather found the mids a bit forward but no trouble with the treble...
Yes, I find the same thing.
Every frequency response graph, I've seen, shows the most elevated response is between approx. 500hz and 1khz.
When I listen, I don't hear the treble as a problem. I have other headphones that have more treble than the lcdc2.

Apr 8, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #5,629 of 7,334
Just bought this :D Looking forward to it arriving. Coming from K712 PRO / Audeze Mobius as my current over ear headphone options.

Apr 8, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #5,630 of 7,334
Hello audeze lcd2c owners, during this isolation period I'm really itchy to get myself openbacks for music enjoyment at home and lcd2c pops out a lot. I'm so used to oppo pm3 sound with rolled off treble and balance across whole spectrum that audezes signature by description in reviews seems good for me, Unfortunately where I live there is no way to audition them and few things bugging me.

I see lots of "complains" regards soundstage and even saying it's an openback with closed back soundstage and for this I already have oppos...I know that there is a huge fan base on audezes products, but when I bought oppo 4-5years ago planar was rarity in headphones, now I see plenty of them made by different brands and cheaper in prices, are these audeze really worth the hype now and still step ahead ?

I'm not a basshead, neither I need sharp imaging or all the micro details thrown in my face. It's for pure music enjoyment and mainly acoustic sounds(asian fusion/jazz/experimental/synth a bit of electronic, most of the music comes 70's/80's period) I want to hear well mastered tracks and can feel that my pm3 are hitting it's limits

Apr 8, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #5,631 of 7,334
Hello audeze lcd2c owners, during this isolation period I'm really itchy to get myself openbacks for music enjoyment at home and lcd2c pops out a lot. I'm so used to oppo pm3 sound with rolled off treble and balance across whole spectrum that audezes signature by description in reviews seems good for me, Unfortunately where I live there is no way to audition them and few things bugging me.

I see lots of "complains" regards soundstage and even saying it's an openback with closed back soundstage and for this I already have oppos...I know that there is a huge fan base on audezes products, but when I bought oppo 4-5years ago planar was rarity in headphones, now I see plenty of them made by different brands and cheaper in prices, are these audeze really worth the hype now and still step ahead ?

I'm not a basshead, neither I need sharp imaging or all the micro details thrown in my face. It's for pure music enjoyment and mainly acoustic sounds(asian fusion/jazz/experimental/synth a bit of electronic, most of the music comes 70's/80's period) I want to hear well mastered tracks and can feel that my pm3 are hitting it's limits
Imo the LCD-2C are great value for money and among my top 3 favourite headphones.

Yes the soundstage isn't all that big, but "closed back soundstage" also Sounds exagerated to me.

My music taste is wide but still completely different from yours so I guess I can't directly recommend them fitting to these Genres. Since I honestly wouldnt know.
Value for money is still huge with those though.

Personally if I want a bug soundstage I use my Hifiman Edition X V2.
From what you posted those could also be a great fit. They dont throw all the microdetails in your face nor excell at imaging, but they are amazing at creating a soundimage that is simply effortless and a Joy to listen to, even for many hours in one Session.

Apr 8, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #5,632 of 7,334

I've had my Audeze LCD-2C for about 2 weeks now and I love them. They are a dark headphone but they do not lack detail, its just more laid back which makes them less fatiguing. They are very comfortable but they are quite heavy so they may cause your neck to ache but if you wear them for long enough the muscles in your neck will just get stronger, they made my neck ache at first but its not an issue now as I often wear them for 8+ hours. Some people say they lack soundstage but imo they don't, planars often lack soudstage compared to dynamic headphones which is why some people may have expected more soundstage but for a planar their soundstage is exceptional and at no point does any track/song sound even the slightest be congested. One change I did make is I replaced the stock pads with Dekoni Elite Velour pads as the stock pads are protein leather which doesnt breathe at all sound it can create quite an unpleasant negative/pressure in your ears, the Dekoni Velours fix this as they do not create as tight of a seal and they are made from a breathable material. The Dekoni Velours also improve the sound as the bring up the highs slightly while flattening out the peaks. Overall I definitely recommend them! Sythns and Electronics music sound grate on these! I powering mine with and Xduoo XD-05 and Emotiva A-100 BasX.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #5,633 of 7,334

With electronic music the 2C absolutely excels. With acoustic music you can probably do better. With acoustic music the 2C is still good value for money. With electronic music it is simply a bargain.

Apr 8, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #5,634 of 7,334
Imo the LCD-2C are great value for money and among my top 3 favourite headphones.

Yes the soundstage isn't all that big, but "closed back soundstage" also Sounds exagerated to me.

My music taste is wide but still completely different from yours so I guess I can't directly recommend them fitting to these Genres. Since I honestly wouldnt know.
Value for money is still huge with those though.

Personally if I want a bug soundstage I use my Hifiman Edition X V2.
From what you posted those could also be a great fit. They dont throw all the microdetails in your face nor excell at imaging, but they are amazing at creating a soundimage that is simply effortless and a Joy to listen to, even for many hours in one Session.
2C is great value for money indeed. It is far from flagship quality, but more than a decent offer for the price. In fact the 2C is competing with some 1K headphones in my opinion. I have been following this thread for years, but can't remember anyone complaining about soundstage. That's new. The complaint about the 2C is usually a too harsh or too laid back treble (LOL) or the typical Audeze upper-mid/lower treble dip.

Apr 8, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #5,635 of 7,334
BTW I have just noticed, that Audeze has replaced the filth behind the grills with a seemingly sturdier material. This 4th (new) LCD2C of mine also has a much more distinctive smell of glue. Perhaps Audeze is using a different glue for the pads? The change in the material behind the grill definitely doesn't affect sound, as I remember I have tried to remove the filth when I last owned these headphones some time ago and there was zero difference. The change must have something to do with extra driver protection or build material longevity.
View attachment IMG_20200408_225923439.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #5,636 of 7,334
2C is great value for money indeed. It is far from flagship quality, but more than a decent offer for the price. In fact the 2C is competing with some 1K headphones in my opinion. I have been following this thread for years, but can't remember anyone complaining about soundstage. That's new. The complaint about the 2C is usually a too harsh or too laid back treble (LOL) or the typical Audeze upper-mid/lower treble dip.

I'm a bit sensitive to peaks, as I said i'm used to oppo pm3 where treble is rolled off, aggressive presentation is not fo me and I don't listen for such music. My oldies spoiled me with sweet midrange I was not able to find such in any headphone that I had a chance to listen. Local shops here have either beats, bowers wilikens, senheiser for high end, even some senheiser sound impressive on first go I know I would get tired of this analytical sound. More into warm and mellow signature

electronic music i mean not dnb/techno and etc, its more of an old school synth/mixed with acoustics. If it's worth it for a flagship I could stretch unless they need to be attached to power house than a no go for me. These would go to chord hugo. I don't mind if it's used or new

Apr 8, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #5,637 of 7,334
BTW I have just noticed, that Audeze has replaced the filth behind the grills with a seemingly sturdier material. This 4th (new) LCD2C of mine also has a much more distinctive smell of glue. Perhaps Audeze is using a different glue for the pads? The change in the material behind the grill definitely doesn't affect sound, as I remember I have tried to remove the filth when I last owned these headphones some time ago and there was zero difference. The change must have something to do with extra driver protection or build material longevity.
IMG_20200408_225923439.jpg
Interesting, it may not effect the sound but it sure does look better.

Apr 8, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #5,638 of 7,334
I bought a used pair of these and they should arrive next week. Is it best to stay with the stock pads and is there any benefit to running them balanced? Currently I have the HD6XX and 58X and my amp and DAC are the THX789 and Topping D70.

Apr 8, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #5,639 of 7,334
I'm a bit sensitive to peaks, as I said i'm used to oppo pm3 where treble is rolled off, aggressive presentation is not fo me and I don't listen for such music. My oldies spoiled me with sweet midrange I was not able to find such in any headphone that I had a chance to listen. Local shops here have either beats, bowers wilikens, senheiser for high end, even some senheiser sound impressive on first go I know I would get tired of this analytical sound. More into warm and mellow signature

electronic music i mean not dnb/techno and etc, its more of an old school synth/mixed with acoustics. If it's worth it for a flagship I could stretch unless they need to be attached to power house than a no go for me. These would go to chord hugo. I don't mind if it's used or new
Hard to recommend as everyone has their personal needs and taste. Having an impression of your budget and a glimpse of your taste I would suggest Mr Speakers (Dan Clark Audio) Aeon open, but you might like the 2C as well. The Aeon is more mellow and thick, the 2C is a bit punchier and more lively. If you are not too bothered about bass but like clarity a lot and don't mind a slightly harsher treble the Focal Clear can be an option too. I would forget all the beats and bowers. Senn 600 series can be good, and the 800S's are actually quite impressive, but these days none of them are the best at their price range. Knowing your preference I would also have a look at ZMF. The Aeolus for instance.
The 2C is fantastic for the price overall. It is a killer for modern beats up to 1K. With acoustics and realism however there are a few better options around 1K like the Aeolus.
Interesting, it may not effect the sound but it sure does look better.
Agreed. :thumbsup:

Apr 8, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #5,640 of 7,334
I bought a used pair of these and they should arrive next week. Is it best to stay with the stock pads and is there any benefit to running them balanced? Currently I have the HD6XX and 58X and my amp and DAC are the THX789 and Topping D70.
Balanced doesn't equal better. This is one of the biggest misconceptions these days. It is all about the implementation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back