Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Feb 23, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #4,666 of 7,334
I agree about the unmeasurable things having an audible effect. Mainly because I don’t think we know everything about audio to say one way or the other. All i can do is go by my ears. I cant tell any change at all in using eq other than the added bass i get. nothing else changes at all to my ears.

And I’m not convinced i could get a more satisfying sound out of a more expensive set of gear if i was able to eq my lower end stuff to reproduce the same frequency plot. The differences if audible would be due to the different implementation instead of quality. quality in audio is way too subjective. I always think of that 3 million dollar gold and diamond encrusted bose radio when it comes to really expensive audio.

I’ve spent way too much money on the uber end home audio equipment that blows even the most niche headphone rigs out of the water as far as price goes only to basically feel meh... And these are very highly acclaimed setup with pro treatment rooms. i’ve demo’d hime theaters in the millions that were not much better in experience than one you could put together at magnolia with some decent forethought.

I don’t really want to go down the same road again with headphones. l’ll stich to function and certain sound signature that’s achievable with reasonable investment.
I think a very good DAC/amp/headphone system can be put together for £2500/$3200. Anything above this brings only marginal (10-15%) improvement by spending painful thousands more. Of course, it only depends on your wallet what's worth for you. If you are happy to spend another £1500/$2000 to gain a 10% better sound that's your choice.

Feb 23, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #4,667 of 7,334
I think a very good DAC/amp/headphone system can be put together for £2500/$3200. Anything above this brings only marginal (10-15%) improvement by spending painful thousands more. Of course, it only depends on your wallet what's worth for you. If you are happy to spend another £1500/$2000 to gain a 10% better sound that's your choice.

the most I’ll spend on a dac is $1500, and that is due to me needing r2r implementation and balanced to help with dry winter static conditions. I honestly doubt there will be much of an “improvement” over a $250 dac that is well implemented. A good $500 pair of equipment will sound just as good as one that costs $5000 if its paired right and gives you the sound you want. Saying that spending more money will always result in better sound is just not reality. It definitely canchappen, but you can also find gear for less that match just as well. You just might have better luck, the more you spend especially when sticking with the same brand. Otherwise its just a gamble either way.

Feb 23, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #4,668 of 7,334
the most I’ll spend on a dac is $1500, and that is due to me needing r2r implementation and balanced to help with dry winter static conditions. I honestly doubt there will be much of an “improvement” over a $250 dac that is well implemented. A good $500 pair of equipment will sound just as good as one that costs $5000 if its paired right and gives you the sound you want. Saying that spending more money will always result in better sound is just not reality. It definitely canchappen, but you can also find gear for less that match just as well. You just might have better luck, the more you spend especially when sticking with the same brand. Otherwise its just a gamble either way.
True, there are some exceptional gear in the £500 price range that beat more expensive stuff easily. Regarding DACs, my 2Qute killed all the DACs I heard under £800. And my Qutest kills all the DACs I heard under £2000.

Feb 23, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #4,669 of 7,334
I mean really. I’m listening to a pair of dt 770 M beyers that lots of people hate. I’ve modded them to my preference p, and am enjoying them straight out of my ipad. And honestly, there is not much difference in sound between the ipad and the near $1000 headphone amp dac setup in my office lol! But at least my office has eq :)

Feb 23, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #4,670 of 7,334
I mean really. I’m listening to a pair of dt 770 M beyers that lots of people hate. I’ve modded them to my preference p, and am enjoying them straight out of my ipad. And honestly, there is not much difference in sound between the ipad and the near $1000 headphone amp dac setup in my office lol! But at least my office has eq :)
The level of difference one can hear is highly subjective. Sure, in a way a good and well chosen £500 system doesn't sound much worse than a random £2000 system. But still, for the ears that can appreciate, the difference is well worth the money. (If one can afford.)

Feb 23, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #4,673 of 7,334
The level of difference one can hear is highly subjective. Sure, in a way a good and well chosen £500 system doesn't sound much worse than a random £2000 system. But still, for the ears that can appreciate, the difference is well worth the money. (If one can afford.)

Thank god my ears cannot appreciate it. I’m running a Schiit Magni, modi and Loki. Total cost about 360. The LCD2c has plenty of bass slam. I turn the Loki up to about 1-2 pm sometimes to get some sub bass. I’d love to hear the LCD2c over one of these expensive rigs to determine how much - if any - improvement I actually hear. I have a hard time understanding anyone complaining about not enough bass on the LCD2c with any type of desktop rig. I hope this thread doesn’t scare people off shopping for the LCD2c thinking they need a grand or more worth of gear for them to sound goood because it simply isn’t true.

Feb 23, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #4,674 of 7,334
Thank god my ears cannot appreciate it. I’m running a Schiit Magni, modi and Loki. Total cost about 360. The LCD2c has plenty of bass slam. I turn the Loki up to about 1-2 pm sometimes to get some sub bass. I’d love to hear the LCD2c over one of these expensive rigs to determine how much - if any - improvement I actually hear. I have a hard time understanding anyone complaining about not enough bass on the LCD2c with any type of desktop rig. I hope this thread doesn’t scare people off shopping for the LCD2c thinking they need a grand or more worth of gear for them to sound goood because it simply isn’t true.
You are right. It is just a sign that they scale exceptionally well.

Feb 23, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #4,675 of 7,334

exactly, even the iphone can power the 2c just fine. Sure you might lose a bit of detail and bass heft, but the sound is still going to be a 2C. If you did a blind test, you would have to really focus to tell imo.

Feb 23, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #4,676 of 7,334
Match made in heaven.
Qutest brings the tightness, control, spaciousness and details the 2C needs.
IMG_20190223_142206579.jpg

Feb 23, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #4,678 of 7,334
I have a magni 3 and an objective 2. I also have a Samsung tablet that has no outputs other than the headphone jack output.
When listening to CD or DVD, I use the magni 3 or objective 2.When listening to my tablet, I plug the headphones directly into the headphone jack.
I have compared the lcd2c to my philips fidelio x2 and my closed back audio technica m40x.
No matter where I plug into , the x2 and m40x have more bass, specifically mid bass., than the lcd2c.
I'm talking about bass" quantity " not bass quality.
Buying a $ 2000 amp will not change the quantiy of the bass of the 3 headphones relative to each other. If a person wants more bass ; the only way to achieve that is with some type of eq.

As many people have pointed out, what a person percieves the level of bass on any given headphone to be; will depend on what headphone that person is used to, or what headphones are being compared to.Then it becomes a matter of preference.

Feb 24, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #4,679 of 7,334
I'm looking for a warm headphone to watch shows / movies with. I find my Sony MDR-Z1R too harsh sometimes on the upper-mids and treble, even with the R2R-11. Do the LCD2C peak anywhere in these regions? Are there any other planars (Hifiman/MrSpeakers) under $1K that are warm I should be looking into?

Feb 24, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #4,680 of 7,334
I'm looking for a warm headphone to watch shows / movies with. I find my Sony MDR-Z1R too harsh sometimes on the upper-mids and treble, even with the R2R-11. Do the LCD2C peak anywhere in these regions? Are there any other planars (Hifiman/MrSpeakers) under $1K that are warm I should be looking into?

I haven't heard either, but the Aeon Flow and HEX V2 seem to be regarded as warm when I was doing research.
I use the 2C for music, movies and games happily though. My top headphones alongside the Ether Flow overall, in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back