Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
May 28, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #2,986 of 7,334
So I listened to the original LCD2s at my local audio shop. What I really enjoyed about them were their bass, clear mids but the sparkle and extension in the treble was really what Ive been looking for a while now. I feel like the smoothness of my Auteurs can get really boring after extended listening sessions.

Can you guys confirm if the Classics have that energetic treble of the originals? It kept everything from sounding too warm and boring. Thanks!

May 28, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #2,987 of 7,334
Thanks. To be honest I got quite addicted to the more resolving sound of higher-end cans. It is hard to go back now to AudiQuest or Denon sound even though they are awesome for the money. I did own a TH-X00 at some point (same family as the Denons) while I loved the bass, I found the treble too harsh.
The Clear will come at some point to my desk, no doubt about that. It is just a matter of time. :)

I know exactly what you mean. After getting used to the XC and clear almost everything sounds grany and veiled ( especially in direct comparison). So I see that whilst being cheap the Denon still would be a waste of possible Clear funds xD Plus nothing in the sub 1k area seems to beat the 2C ( maybe some are on par tbf but not better per se)

Edit: I'm even considering selling my beloved T1 because it's doesn't have a place next to the OP Clear ( it would complement a 2C though)

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #2,988 of 7,334
So I listened to the original LCD2s at my local audio shop. What I really enjoyed about them were their bass, clear mids but the sparkle and extension in the treble was really what Ive been looking for a while now. I feel like the smoothness of my Auteurs can get really boring after extended listening sessions.

Can you guys confirm if the Classics have that energetic treble of the originals? It kept everything from sounding too warm and boring. Thanks!
I haven't heard the originals, but to my ears the treble of the LCD2C is quite energetic. I don't really understand people who say LCD2 treble is veiled. Overall the tonality is slightly warm from neutral, but that doesn't mean the treble can't have energy. Also, the LCD2C warmth is nothing like classic, less expensive warm cans like X2 or NightHawk for example. On the 2C everything is clean, clear, detailed, punchy, energetic with a very slight warmth to the overall sound that just takes away the sharpness of this clarity. At least to my ears.

May 28, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #2,989 of 7,334

Do you think Auteur is too warm to the extent that it lacks sparkle in treble and mids are not transparent enough? I am just curious, so I won't be able to hear Auteur in the near future.

May 28, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #2,990 of 7,334
Do you think Auteur is too warm to the extent that it lacks sparkle in treble and mids are not transparent enough? I am just curious, so I won't be able to hear Auteur in the near future.

The Auteur has beautiful mids. Neutral to warm mid and lush. They have a lot more detail and definition than the LCD 2s as they seem just smoothed over (similar to the 650 and ZMF Atticus). Treble can be extended but needs to be tweaked. The aggressive faster paced nature of the 2s has more appeal for a lot of genres than the Auteur politer presentation. Its extended but needs a good solid state amp or bright tube to bring it out.

The main reason why I think it can be a bit slow is not because its overly warm but because its overly neutral.

May 28, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #2,991 of 7,334
The Auteur has beautiful mids. Neutral to warm mid and lush. They have a lot more detail and definition than the LCD 2s as they seem just smoothed over (similar to the 650 and ZMF Atticus). Treble can be extended but needs to be tweaked. The aggressive faster paced nature of the 2s has more appeal for a lot of genres than the Auteur politer presentation. Its extended but needs a good solid state amp or bright tube to bring it out.

The main reason why I think it can be a bit slow is not because its overly warm but because its overly neutral.
Tried the Auteur last month. Never compared them side by side since I dont own an Auteur. It is beautiful and smooth for vocals (like all of Zach's phones). I thought treble is smoother and cleaner than the 2C. Resolution and soundstage is also goes to the Auteur. Love the wooden design too, but 2C is beautiful in its own right too. More masculine and industrial looking.

2C has better sub amd low bass, as planars typically do. I can only think of rock being 2C's strength against the Auteur. The rest, I would have to give it to Auteur.

May 28, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #2,992 of 7,334
Tried the Auteur last month. Never compared them side by side since I dont own an Auteur. It is beautiful and smooth for vocals (like all of Zach's phones). I thought treble is smoother and cleaner than the 2C. Resolution and soundstage is also goes to the Auteur. Love the wooden design too, but 2C is beautiful in its own right too. More masculine and industrial looking.

2C has better sub amd low bass, as planars typically do. I can only think of rock being 2C's strength against the Auteur. The rest, I would have to give it to Auteur.

Treble definitely sounds like it would be smoother since Ive read the 2Cs grainer in comparison. The detail retrieval of the Auteurs is about on par with the HD800 just not pushed in your face. I’m thinking of getting a Loki to boost the subbass. The midbass isnt too bad on the Auteur.

May 28, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #2,993 of 7,334
Treble definitely sounds like it would be smoother since Ive read the 2Cs grainer in comparison. The detail retrieval of the Auteurs is about on par with the HD800 just not pushed in your face. I’m thinking of getting a Loki to boost the subbass. The midbass isnt too bad on the Auteur.
I think LCD2C and Auteur are more complementary. 2C does have better impact and energy for rock. I would definitely keep it if I were you. I always have a soft spot for Zach's creations. 10 times better build quality than my HEKv1. The reason I didnt buy it was because it was too similar sounding to my HD800.

Btw, 2C's bass isnt exactly enough for me too. Only with a Loki, I could enjoy it.

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #2,994 of 7,334
I haven't heard the originals, but to my ears the treble of the LCD2C is quite energetic. I don't really understand people who say LCD2 treble is veiled. Overall the tonality is slightly warm from neutral, but that doesn't mean the treble can't have energy. Also, the LCD2C warmth is nothing like classic, less expensive warm cans like X2 or NightHawk for example. On the 2C everything is clean, clear, detailed, punchy, energetic with a very slight warmth to the overall sound that just takes away the sharpness of this clarity. At least to my ears.
Actually, 2C isnt exactly clean in the mids. TH900 is what I call clean. Not even HD800 or Auteur can match it.

May 28, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #2,995 of 7,334
@hikaru12, btw did u try TH900? Treble and bass quality is top-notch. But need to use Loki to EQ down a bit depending on ur treble sensitivity. Also need to EQ up the low mid.

TH900 was the reason why I didnt buy the eikon. Best soundstage and air of all closed can, even better than 2C and Auteur. Soundstage has this amazing accuracy and layering. Thunderous low end. Definitely has the treble sparkle and energy that u are looking for. It has a different character than ZMF. Where ZMF is lush and romantic, TH900 is drier and to the point. Both are really good, but I would put TH900 technicalities definitely above eikon/auteur.

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #2,996 of 7,334
Actually, 2C isnt exactly clean in the mids. TH900 is what I call clean. Not even HD800 or Auteur can match it.
Depends what you compare the 2C to. Definitely cleaner than the headphones I was talking about, but there certainly are even cleaner sounding headphones. Let's say it is one of the cleanest if not the cleanest under £1000. Hps above £1000 is a different story.

May 29, 2018 at 4:11 AM Post #2,997 of 7,334
Depends what you compare the 2C to. Definitely cleaner than the headphones I was talking about, but there certainly are even cleaner sounding headphones. Let's say it is one of the cleanest if not the cleanest under £1000. Hps above £1000 is a different story.

I second that! Its always about what you have to compare it to. The 2C sounds not clean anymore after switching from a Focal Clear or XC but it as you said in its price range its the clear winner and it sounds clean as hell compared to some T1, HD700 and everything else I heard sub 1k.

May 29, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #2,998 of 7,334

I haven't heard the new Classic version but have the pre-fazors. Treble would bug me in that I felt I was losing detail and I would at times really have to concentrate and listen 'into' the mix. This was the negative aspect of their fairly laid back sound, though they would never sound sibilant or sharp. However, what has worked for me for getting a much better imho power cable for my cd player which made them a less recessed or muted (even muffled) sounding headphone. To me this shows how much they can scale-up, as similarly did switching the hp cable to an aftermarket silver/ copper hybrid.

They remain a very clean sounding headphone. I've heard the Sony MDR-1ZR which were cleaner and more detailed and engaging in the treble but without the bass slam. It's not a night and day difference though ( as for example the LCD2 is overall to the Senn HD600 ) and the Sony is much more expensive so it's a somewhat unfair comparison. For their 2nd hand price even with an aftermarket hp cable, Audeze are the best value I've heard now I've managed to open up their treble a bit

May 29, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #2,999 of 7,334
I haven't heard the new Classic version but have the pre-fazors. Treble would bug me in that I felt I was losing detail and I would at times really have to concentrate and listen 'into' the mix. This was the negative aspect of their fairly laid back sound, though they would never sound sibilant or sharp. However, what has worked for me for getting a much better imho power cable for my cd player which made them a less recessed or muted (even muffled) sounding headphone. To me this shows how much they can scale-up, as similarly did switching the hp cable to an aftermarket silver/ copper hybrid.

They remain a very clean sounding headphone. I've heard the Sony MDR-1ZR which were cleaner and more detailed and engaging in the treble but without the bass slam. It's not a night and day difference though ( as for example the LCD2 is overall to the Senn HD600 ) and the Sony is much more expensive so it's a somewhat unfair comparison. For their 2nd hand price even with an aftermarket hp cable, Audeze are the best value I've heard now I've managed to open up their treble a bit
I agree. Planars scale up very well and are quite source dependent. From people who tried older versions of the LCD2 and the new Classic I hear they really like the latter. Overall the sound is slightly more exciting and punchy. The cable is also new. I am curious to hear an old version now however wouldn't buy one due to reliability issues. The new Classic is more reliable in many aspects.

May 29, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #3,000 of 7,334
I agree. Planars scale up very well and are quite source dependent. From people who tried older versions of the LCD2 and the new Classic I hear they really like the latter. Overall the sound is slightly more exciting and punchy. The cable is also new. I am curious to hear an old version now however wouldn't buy one due to reliability issues. The new Classic is more reliable in many aspects.

I think it's good that Audeze is improving reliability. I think a lot of brands these days are disappointing with driver failure. I think it's embarrassing that a focal clear fails on me after 3 weeks ( tbf it was a open package deal and maybe the issue was not Focals fault but the guy's who sent them back to the seller) and that for example so many LCD4s seem to fail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back