Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Oct 10, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #62 of 7,334
Fidelio x2 has ear piercing treble.. One of the worst i have ever tried
That's not the general consensus; it's considered a 'darker' headphone by most. That said, I have read about some possible upper mid/lower treble 'grain', but I guess I'll know for myself once I get my pair of X2HR later this month. The one time I did hear it for myself I wasn't particularly bothered by the treble - and I'm very treble sensitive.

Oct 10, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #63 of 7,334
Amazing feedback, thank you. Fostex-quality bass is the bar by which I judge most headphones now, so hoping the X2 can get close (granted they’re open) but offer something different in terms of soundstage and imaging (no point having two cans that basically sound similar). After that the Atticus and LCD-2C (reviews pending) are one and two on my hitlist. Hopefully I won’t have to sell the Fostex and Fidelio to afford them!

So is the talk about the 2C's being lighter noticeable? I always felt wearing the LCD2s they hung either side of my head rather than firmly on it like the hd650s. Always felt a bit odd , like maybe the seal wasn't there

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #64 of 7,334
Amazing feedback, thank you. Fostex-quality bass is the bar by which I judge most headphones now, so hoping the X2 can get close (granted they’re open) but offer something different in terms of soundstage and imaging (no point having two cans that basically sound similar). After that the Atticus and LCD-2C (reviews pending) are one and two on my hitlist. Hopefully I won’t have to sell the Fostex and Fidelio to afford them!

What's funny is that I wasn't really planning on selling my other headphones once I got Atticus, but I love it so much that I find it does bass even better than my TH-X00 and EMU Teak. It does smooth mids better than my HD650, M1060, and LCD-2, and combines it all into 1 package. So for that reason I never use those other headphones anymore and would just rather use Atticus. I'm literally selling off 5 headphones now because I find the Atticus the best in class. So you might be surprised if you get Atticus that you also might not even want to keep your other headphones. But I am patiently waiting for LCD-2C reviews to come out and I am keeping my eye on it. At that price point, I wouldn't mind having an open, warm can in my collection.

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #65 of 7,334
What's funny is that I wasn't really planning on selling my other headphones once I got Atticus, but I love it so much that I find it does bass even better than my TH-X00 and EMU Teak. It does smooth mids better than my HD650, M1060, and LCD-2, and combines it all into 1 package. So for that reason I never use those other headphones anymore and would just rather use Atticus. I'm literally selling off 5 headphones now because I find the Atticus the best in class. So you might be surprised if you get Atticus that you also might not even want to keep your other headphones. But I am patiently waiting for LCD-2C reviews to come out and I am keeping my eye on it. At that price point, I wouldn't mind having an open, warm can in my collection.
Agreed, if the 2C checks out, the combination of Atticus and Audeze could be a killer open/closed/warm/punchy/smooth/detailed high-end combo for not a crazy amount of money! Heck the LCD-3 costs more than both combined!

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #66 of 7,334
I'm surprised at the excitement over the LCD-2C. I have an LCD-2.1 that I bought when it was new. It got daily use for a few years, but it is now outclassed by a lot of similarly priced headphones, IMO. Mine has not gotten much use for three or four years. OTOH, I will almost certainly buy the new headband for mine. It is fun to pull out the ol' LCD-2.1 for a listen, once or twice a year.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #67 of 7,334
I think the key to your question is “for the price”. If the 2C delivers the original sound quality, plus reduced weight and better build, for $600 you’ll struggle to find anything of that SQ and build quality. For $900+ I agree with you but at $600 it becomes far more accessible and appealing, and frankly makes more expensive models seem like poor value in comparison. That’s of course if you a) prefer the pre-fazor sound signature, and b) the shipping product justifies the hype. I know many, many people who wanted to add great sounding, well built planars to their collection but until now have either had to spend $1000+ on LCDs or live with questionable build/sound/bass quality from ‘entry level’ cans from Hifiman and Monoprice.

Oct 10, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #68 of 7,334
I'm surprised at the excitement over the LCD-2C. I have an LCD-2.1 that I bought when it was new. It got daily use for a few years, but it is now outclassed by a lot of similarly priced headphones, IMO. Mine has not gotten much use for three or four years. OTOH, I will almost certainly buy the new headband for mine. It is fun to pull out the ol' LCD-2.1 for a listen, once or twice a year.

Which are the headphones which replaced it for you? Dan

Oct 10, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #69 of 7,334
For me personally, I have since moved on to headphones that are quite a bit more expensive including a STAX 009/BHSE setup. So I'm not the right person to comment on the best headphones at that price level. I've heard several very good headphones under $600 at shows, but I don't want to recommend any that I have not spent real time with. Others will chime in, I'm sure. However, I do use an Aeon Flow Closed at work and I like it better than the LCD2.1. It is certainly far more comfortable.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #70 of 7,334
I I know many, many people who wanted to add great sounding, well built planars to their collection but until now have either had to spend $1000+ on LCDs or live with questionable build/sound/bass quality from ‘entry level’ cans from Hifiman and Monoprice.

If you like a neutral presentation, the Oppo PM-3 is a stellar buy. Best planar under $500 easily. Bass-heads or those who want some sparkle at the high-end will be disappointed though. If you can swing a bit more $$$, the Aeon are a great choice. I think there are dynamics that are as good or better that the LCD 2.1, but I don't want to name names based on only show listening. I think the LCD 2.1 was a great headphone, and for some people, it will still be an excellent choice. I'm glad Audeze is bring it back, but lets not over hype it. If you have not compared it to more modern offerings, do yourself a favor and listen around before purchasing.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #71 of 7,334
As much effort as Audeze put into these I don't see why the 2C would ever sound the same as an old LCD2. One of the key changes from 2.1 to 2.2 (not 2.2F) was a thinner diaphragm and this results in a loss of bass. If Audeze decided to employ an even thinner diaphragm on the 2Cs I doubt they'd even sound close.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #72 of 7,334
[deleted]

Oct 10, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #73 of 7,334
That's not the general consensus; it's considered a 'darker' headphone by most. That said, I have read about some possible upper mid/lower treble 'grain', but I guess I'll know for myself once I get my pair of X2HR later this month. The one time I did hear it for myself I wasn't particularly bothered by the treble - and I'm very treble sensitive.

have you ever read any of the reviews out there??try google... treble spikes are relevant

Oct 10, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #74 of 7,334
Iv
have you ever read any of the reviews out there??try google... treble spikes are relevant
I’ve read plenty, and while some speak of infrequent ‘grain’ in the treble, none call them piercing or shrill (and certainly not sibilant). If anything they’re considered ‘dark’ and warmer than neutral. From limited experience with them before that’s my impression as well. In any case I’ll come back here and give a proper report when I get my X2HR later this month.

Oct 10, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #75 of 7,334

Have you ever heard any of the X2's out there??try it... good ears are relevant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back