Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Nov 12, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #301 of 7,334

i guess I'll just stick with my plan to pick up the LCD-2C. I think those ZMF Atticus are out of my price range. $600 is my limit.

Why do headphones have to be so hard man! I have a lovely pair of speakers, and everything I listen to sounds fantastic out of them. Whereas headphones are always lacking in one way or another.

i tried the 2016 LCD2F and the bass is just not there, the bass has good extension but if you want real punchy bass you will be truly disappointed unless you are willing to EQ

Nov 12, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #302 of 7,334
Only a pleasure. I was about to grab a Fidelio X2 when I changed my mind and got the LCD-2. You'll probably find the X2 has a wider soundstage and probably slightly deeper bass, but the LCD-2 is heads and shoulders beyond the capabilities of the X2. You'll love them!

Not really true. I went from LCD-2F to Fidelio X2 because they do 90% (and some more) for the fraction of the price. The only thing I'm missing from Audeze is higher quality, better textured bass.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #303 of 7,334
Not really true. I went from LCD-2F to Fidelio X2 because they do 90% (and some more) for the fraction of the price. The only thing I'm missing from Audeze is higher quality, better textured bass.
Well, that's what you pay for. At this level, an extra 10% performance costs you hundreds of dollars. Once you hit the $1000 mark, that sort of improvement costs you double. It's the law of diminishing returns, which is why when someone says a headphone is "night and day" different to another similar headphone, I always take it with a pinch of salt. All depends if you're willing to pay for that extra bit of goodness, or if you're happy to settle for less and save your money. Is the LCD-3F worth $1000 more than they LCD-2? Depends if you're willing to pay for the extra little bit of refinement, but you'll also find some people prefer the more laid back signature of the LCD-2 to the fuller and more lively LCD-3. At the end of the day, it should always be more about the music than the gear, but of course you want your gear to play your music the way you best like to hear it.

Nov 12, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #304 of 7,334
Well, that's what you pay for. At this level, an extra 10% performance costs you hundreds of dollars.

Yeah, but 10% difference is not exactly "heads and shoulders beyond" in my book.

Nov 12, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #305 of 7,334
Having said that, I'm still interested in LCD-2C as they do some things particularly well, like electronica... And at $599 it seems much better value.

Nov 12, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #306 of 7,334
When you go above $300 price range, headphones becomes simply different sounding not better or worst. Some are warm some are bright, some has more details but are harsh and fatiguing and some has less details but can be used for hours. Price does not correlate to performance. I hated how the $4000 LCD4 sounded and much prefer the signature of a darker and less detailed LCD2

Nov 12, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #307 of 7,334
Yeah, but 10% difference is not exactly "heads and shoulders beyond" in my book.
Depends on how much the differences mean to you I guess. Personally I find the difference to be far more than 10% between the two, at least in terms of power, clarity and that special something the planar drivers bring to the sound. Plus the total lack of grain in the upper mids and highs that spoiled the X2 experience a little for me (some people like that or can't hear it, but I could). I also like the fact that I can drive the LCD-2s balanced - albeit that makes the setup even more expensive of course. Don't get me wrong, the X2 is a wonderful headphone that's better than what most people listen to music with, and if it was the only headphone I had I'd be more than happy.

Nov 12, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #308 of 7,334
When you go above $300 price range, headphones becomes simply different sounding not better or worst. Some are warm some are bright, some has more details but are harsh and fatiguing and some has less details but can be used for hours. Price does not correlate to performance. I hated how the $4000 LCD4 sounded and much prefer the signature of a darker and less detailed LCD2
Likewise, but I'd put the deflection point closer to $500 than $300. There's quite a bit a $1000 headphone like the LCD-2 can and will do that a P7 or X2 simply can't. Whether or not the extra is cost is worth it is entirely up to you.

Nov 12, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #309 of 7,334
Having said that, I'm still interested in LCD-2C as they do some things particularly well, like electronica... And at $599 it seems much better value.
Oddly I prefer my Fostex for electronica and electronic music in general. The extra bass punch and sub bass depth over the LCD-2 is more noticeable in these genres. The LCD-2, in my limited time with it so far, is sublime with just about everything, but especially classic rock, acoustic, classical, jazz and folk music - wherever utmost clarity and micro details are called for. Also where older recordings had the treble too hot - the LCD tames it nicely whereas the Fostex (and definitely the X2) will likely kill you with their highs. :p

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #310 of 7,334
Oddly I prefer my Fostex for electronica and electronic music in general. The extra bass punch and sub bass depth over the LCD-2 is more noticeable in these genres.

That's another headphone I'm very interested in!

Nov 12, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #311 of 7,334
Has anyone who submitted their email address on Audeze's website gotten an email back? Their so-called preorder process seems strange.

Nov 12, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #312 of 7,334
Also where older recordings had the treble too hot - the LCD tames it nicely whereas the Fostex (and definitely the X2) will likely kill you with their highs. :p

Oddly, I found my X2 even more forgiving than my old LCD-2F. I keep my X2 specifically for low-fi/casual listening and gaming. And HD600 for everything else.

Nov 12, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #313 of 7,334
That's another headphone I'm very interested in!
The Fostex and LCD-2 are perfectly complementary for the music I listen to. One is smooth and laid back, the other fun and punchy. The only headphone I can think of adding to this duo is the ZMF Atticus, which is a bit of a blend between the two and presents the very best sound quality in a closed headphone (as opposed to the semi-closed Fostex and open LCD-2). That my next (and hopefully last) headphone purchase. Endgame.

Nov 12, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #314 of 7,334
Has anyone who submitted their email address on Audeze's website gotten an email back? Their so-called preorder process seems strange.
Was wondering the same thing... My guess is that they're waiting to get a certain number of responses before they commit to a production and delivery schedule.

Nov 12, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #315 of 7,334
Yeah if that’s the case I’m pretty disappointed, and perhaps those interested should spread the word a bit.

I really hope they actually stick to the December quote on their website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back