Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Jan 10, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #1,576 of 7,334
1PM to 3PM? I guess other amps are much different than mine haha. I rarely turn my NFB 12.1 past 11AM at low gain. I rarely notice any sort of noise floor when I listen to music, so I can't relate to that.

I am really considering trying the Audio-GD R2R11.

Jan 10, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #1,577 of 7,334
1PM to 3PM? I guess other amps are much different than mine haha. I rarely turn my NFB 12.1 past 11AM at low gain. I rarely notice any sort of noise floor when I listen to music, so I can't relate to that.

I am really considering trying the Audio-GD R2R11.
Hehe, there are so many different variables to this as well. Remember that 1-3PM is loud but normal - you wouldn't normally listen to music that loud unless you want hearing loss. On some modern music (Lorde for example) I wouldn't go past 11 o'clock on low gain, and that's fairly loud. But put on the SACD of Adiemus and I'm at 3 o'clock! Then again, most of the time I'm listening at low to moderate volume, so 10-12PM at most. I have some hearing loss from my days of uninhibited loud listening on a Walkman as a teen, so my "normal" is probably 3dB - 6dB higher (if not more) than for someone with good hearing.

Jan 10, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #1,578 of 7,334
Yeah I guy don't get it. I'm not trying to be filling this thread with nonsense but I can't see you ever think these headphones are bass light. Even with a weak source they are boomy as ****

I mean if you wanted to say the 400is are a bit weak I'd agree with you. But the classics? What are you smoking??

Just so you know, I'm comparing my LCD-2C's directly with a pair of LCD2's I demoed back in November that had exactly the amount of bass I was looking for. Mine don't sound the same, and I'm simply saying my Siberias have more bass than my 2C's, and less bass than the LCD2's I demoed. That's why I believe it's my amp. Make sense?

@anoxy

I'm running flac or 320kbps files from my PC on Foobar, so I don't believe it's my material. As I said to blargman, I'm comparing my 2C's to the regular LCD2's I demoed before which had different equipment, making me believe it's my amp.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #1,579 of 7,334
Also, if you're not directly A/Bing them, I'd wager your memory isn't good enough to truly determine the difference.

But if it is, yeah probably the source. I tried a few different pairs of LCDs at the local audio shop last month and I was amazed how much the source can alter the sound.

Jan 10, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #1,580 of 7,334
Hehe, there are so many different variables to this as well. Remember that 1-3PM is loud but normal - you wouldn't normally listen to music that loud unless you want hearing loss. On some modern music (Lorde for example) I wouldn't go past 11 o'clock on low gain, and that's fairly loud. But put on the SACD of Adiemus and I'm at 3 o'clock! Then again, most of the time I'm listening at low to moderate volume, so 10-12PM at most. I have some hearing loss from my days of uninhibited loud listening on a Walkman as a teen, so my "normal" is probably 3dB - 6dB higher (if not more) than for someone with good hearing.

Gain matching is one of those "we'll be here all day talking about it" topics. Even a relatively simple system has multiple variables that can affect gain at the amp; more complicated systems have many more variables. My desktop system is (fortunately or unfortunately) rather complicated, with multiple gain variables. I can adjust gain independently at multiple points (on the HP amp/preamp; on the SE-to-balanced convertor; and on the powered studio monitors. And just swapping DACs can raise or lower system gain, because different DACs have different voltage outputs.

Re volume pots: from everything I've read, these tend to work best from the midpoint-to-higher in their range because they offer less resistance, and thus less attentuation to the signal (this appears to less of a factor w/stepped pots). Regardless, I prefer to have headphone amps in particular somewhere in the middle third of their volume range (representing moderately loud to loud HP listening)--and use various gain settings/various devices to get there. A side-benefit of this is I have "more volume pot" to work with for the low-volume monitor listening that's most of my day.

However, there are noteworthy variables beyond amp gain: the impedance and sensitivity of the different headphones can cause strikingly different volume settings to be used at any fixed gain level.

(complicated!)

Jan 10, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #1,581 of 7,334
Anybody have input on how the LCD2C compares to the Focal Clear? I'm contemplating selling the LCD-2C, perhaps the Audeze house sound isn't for me. For reference the HD800 S is my favorite headphone.

Jan 10, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #1,582 of 7,334
Anybody have input on how the LCD2C compares to the Focal Clear? I'm contemplating selling the LCD-2C, perhaps the Audeze house sound isn't for me. For reference the HD800 S is my favorite headphone.

I have both the Focal Clear and LCD-2C with me right now and I am running them in.

Initial impression is that the LCD-2C is easier to listen to long hours, but sounded less detailed and considerably less dynamic than the Focal Clear.

Listening to the LCD-2C is like seeing things under an orange lamp that is intimate, warm, cozy and relaxed while listening to the Clear is like seeing things under bright white light.

I could not make up my mind which one I like more because they could not be more different and suits an entire different scenarios. They are more like complements than substitutes.

Jan 10, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #1,583 of 7,334
The 2C is definitely a nice cozy leather armchair of a headphone, but I do think with a powerful amp they can absolutely be an ax murderer too.

Grab a powerful headphone amp, throw on some Danger (or some other music with some thumping bass or mids), crank it a bit, and the 2C's are exceedingly visceral. They have a huge driver compared to most headphones, and it definitely sounds the part IMO.

Jan 10, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #1,584 of 7,334
I have both the Focal Clear and LCD-2C with me right now and I am running them in.

Initial impression is that the LCD-2C is easier to listen to long hours, but sounded less detailed and considerably less dynamic than the Focal Clear.

Listening to the LCD-2C is like seeing things under an orange lamp that is intimate, warm, cozy and relaxed while listening to the Clear is like seeing things under bright white light.

I could not make up my mind which one I like more because they could not be more different and suits an entire different scenarios. They are more like complements than substitutes.

Sold Elear long before I got 2C and eventually sold HD800 SDR after getting 2C which was much harder task. For Elear, the decision was made in just 1-2 week owning and comparing it too HD800 and immediately made after comparing it to LE Aether (yes, this is just an iem, the tonality, treble are far superior) . Much prefer the characters of 2C over Elear from my clear memory. 2C has more natural tonality and much less fatigue and much smoother high. The Elear has more articulated bass but not as textured, more impact but the bass was overwhelming + the fatigue, rough treble making it less enjoyable after a while. Elear only wowed me maybe 15-30 mins listening but not for long hours, i guess it's a headphone for occasions when you need some temporary fun.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #1,585 of 7,334
Sold Elear long before I got 2C and eventually sold HD800 SDR after getting 2C which was much harder task. For Elear, the decision was made in just 1-2 week owning and comparing it too HD800 and immediately made after comparing it to LE Aether (yes, this is just an iem, the tonality, treble are far superior) . Much prefer the characters of 2C over Elear from my clear memory. 2C has more natural tonality and much less fatigue and much smoother high. The Elear has more articulated bass but not as textured, more impact but the bass was overwhelming + the fatigue, rough treble making it less enjoyable after a while. Elear only wowed me maybe 15-30 mins listening but not for long hours, i guess it's a headphone for occasions when you need some temporary fun.

I have never like the Elear. I will pick the cheaper Focal Listen over it.

Jan 10, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #1,586 of 7,334
I have never like the Elear. I will pick the cheaper Focal Listen over it.
I'm quite surprised that you have it still while Utopia being sold instead :o2smile:

Jan 10, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #1,588 of 7,334
I have the Clear, not Elear.
ops, while you are at it, wouldn't mind hearing a proper comparison between 2C and Focal Clear? if you don't mind

Jan 11, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #1,589 of 7,334
I just want to pop in again and say how much I am enjoying these headphones. Coming from the 400i’s which I believe are mostly plastic - these feel much more substantial. Yet still comfortable to wear.

For the music I listen to, which is mostly rock and metal and electronic variations these are basically perfect.

Jan 11, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #1,590 of 7,334
I’d say it’s probably the latter. Coming from a Fostex TH-X00, the LCD’s “lack of bass” is quite startling, but then you need to let your brain adjust to the sound and suddenly the penny drops and you realize just how much quality bass it has. Bassy headphones do just that - artificially add bass to everything. It’s like putting dollops of salt on everything and then biting into something without salt. Takes a while but soon enough you discover how much more you can actually taste without it. Maybe not the best analogy but you get the point. That’s why I have two headphones (and some have many more) - different flavours. I never put on my LCDs right after listening to the Atticus for that very reason, and vice versa. Each have their unique signatures and I enjoy both but independently of each other.

Good analogy. I owned the TH-X00 cousin E-mu Teaks for awhile, and I strongly prefer the way that the LCD2C's accentuate, and even exaggerate the low end. I'm comparing from memory, but the Fostex variants in comparison come across like overly EQ'd, smeary bass compared to the near distortion-free, and musically well balanced low-end I hear out of the LCD's. In fact, I bought a Schiit Loki to try to find some tonal balance that worked for me with the Teaks, but eventually gave up. Have not had any real desire to EQ the LCD's tho. Just right for laid back listening withthe nicest quality to qty ratio bass I've heard.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back