Audez'e LCD-2 Rev 2 with CEntrance DACmini vs. NuForce HDP
Oct 27, 2011 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

johnzz4

500+ Head-Fier
I've been running the NuForce HDP for a couple weeks now with my LCD-2's, and enjoyed the sound, but assumed a higher end DAC / amp combo would give me more.  Well, I received the CEntrance DACmini today and after a couple hours of A/B switching between the two amps, the DACmini is going back.  I found the DACmini to pronounced in the highs, to the point that I could never get the bass where I wanted it before the highs were just too much.  It was kind of strange...it's as if the treble increased in volume quicker than the bass (if that's even possible).  While the DACmini won in clarity and soundstage, the lack of bass was a deal breaker for me.  I could see those that listen primarily to classical or jazz really liking the CEntrance as long as the music didn't require strong bass.  I never knew DAC/amps have such a strong sound signature.  I figured it would be negligible, but this was really night and day...

Dec 17, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 3
I am in the exact same boat with the LCD 2's and the nuforce Icon HDP except I haven't received my LCD2s but am wondering if the nuforce will be enough to drive the LCDs. Were you left wanting more Johnzz4 with the nuforce/LCD2 pairing or was it simply curiosity. I ask, because i have a chance to return the nuforce icon HDP and get either the Meier Concerto or possibly the burson 160D. Just not sure its worth the added cost and seems a shame to return the HDP since it is so versatile with other phones and is a great bargain. Let me know what rig you've ended up with and if you're happy. Thanks.

Dec 18, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #3 of 3
i never tried the dacmini with the lcd2, but i never found bright with other headphones, always thought the hdp was the bright one lol. to me, the dacmini sounds a bit tube-like, but neutral at the same time, so am a little surprised when u said it was bright with the lcd2, which are a bit too dark for me, even the rev2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back