Audeze LCD-2, HE-500, or Anything else to replace Denon AH-D2000
Nov 19, 2011 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Spandy87

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, so I have a Denon D2000 paired with a Xonar Essence STX. I'm thinking about upgrading to a higher end headphone, and I'm actually looking closely at the Audeze LCD-2. My biggest concern is actually the weight and comfort of the headphone. I find the Denon D2000 to be acceptable, but I wouldn't want it any heavier. How does the LCD-2 compare in terms of weight and comfort?

Also, how big of a difference is there between the Denon D2000 and the LCD-2 in terms of sound quality. I really appreciate the warm, full bodied bass that the D2000 has, but from what I hear the LCD-2 is amazing for bass and lows/mids as well whereas the Denons are a bit more recessed in the mid section.

Finally, how does the HE-500 compare overall. I know very little about this headphone and everyone always recommends the LCD-2, the HE-500 is popular as well. If I didn't want to spend $1K on a new headphone, would the HE-500 be a suitable upgrade from the D2000s? Do I need a new amp/dac to get the most out of these? or is the Essence STX good enough.

Thanks,

Andrew

Nov 19, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 27

Quote:
Hey guys, so I have a Denon D2000 paired with a Xonar Essence STX. I'm thinking about upgrading to a higher end headphone, and I'm actually looking closely at the Audeze LCD-2. My biggest concern is actually the weight and comfort of the headphone. I find the Denon D2000 to be acceptable, but I wouldn't want it any heavier. How does the LCD-2 compare in terms of weight and comfort?

Also, how big of a difference is there between the Denon D2000 and the LCD-2 in terms of sound quality. I really appreciate the warm, full bodied bass that the D2000 has, but from what I hear the LCD-2 is amazing for bass and lows/mids as well whereas the Denons are a bit more recessed in the mid section.

Finally, how does the HE-500 compare overall. I know very little about this headphone and everyone always recommends the LCD-2, the HE-500 is popular as well. If I didn't want to spend $1K on a new headphone, would the HE-500 be a suitable upgrade from the D2000s? Do I need a new amp/dac to get the most out of these? or is the Essence STX good enough.

Thanks,

Andrew

For 699.00 the HE500 is a steal. It is better than my Denon D7000. It not as warm as the LCD2 but has bigger soundstage with excellent transparency and vocals. I am getting the new pad pair and will be doing a review on them but IMO they are a step up over the D2000 and even my D7000

Nov 19, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 27

I will be able to answer the pad issue when I get the review sample in the next week or so. Fang addressed the pad issue and redesigned new pads for them. The LCD2 I had also hhad issues like wood cracking and cups swiveling and I had to replace them. I preferred the HE6 I owned over the LCD2 and the 500 is very close from the loaner program I was in. I asked for a review pair and will answer those questions soon but I did like what I heard except for the poor pads which now have been corrected.
Quote:
Yeah but its only 300 more for the LCD-2. How close are these two?

I also heard that the HE-500s have some issues with the cups falling off. Is this true?

Nov 19, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #6 of 27

Quote:
Oh also, how is the HE-500 comfort and weight wise?

They are comfortable and weigh less than the LCD2. They are a nice headphone. You know you can buy from a vendor with a 30 day return if you dont like them then you lose only shipping. pretty safe way to hear a pair.

Nov 20, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #8 of 27
Snazzy iPhone guy says it best ~ pretty sharp for a young bloke making his way in the world of high end audio

Nov 20, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #9 of 27
At $699 with a 30 day return policy you can't go wrong.  I recently jumped back into headphones after being speakers only for a few years and picked up the HE-500 and a Zana Deux and could not be happier.  I will have a loaner LCD-2 to compare later in December.  I haven't heard the D2000 in a long time so I can't help you there.  The HE-500 are heavier than I had been used to in the past but I've worn them for a couple of hours easily with out discomfort.

Nov 20, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #12 of 27

Quote:
The stx is gonna need an amp to run planar headphones.

The STX has a 600 Ohm headphone amp built in...

I am thinking of getting the Essence One USB DAC though.

Also, the D2000's only really came to life when I paired them with the STX. They sounded like garbage on standard onboard realtek, I assume it will be similar going up to a proper DAC/Amp.

I am also very curious  as to the weight and comfort of all of these. I do find the D2000s a bit heavy, not bad but still a bit bulky. If the LCD-2s are roughly the same I can totally handle that, if it's heavier I'll probably want to go with the HE-500

Nov 20, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #13 of 27
LCD-2 is heavier than the HE-500.

LCD-2 550 grams to the HE-500 for 500 grams.

Nov 20, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #14 of 27
i had an stx board and it was ok for lower end headpjones n thats it. the d2000 sounds congested after owning the lcd2. i nevr owned any HE series phones. lcd2 are very bulky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back