Audeze LCD-2 Amp recommendation?
Dec 5, 2015 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

headsetgo

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm on the hunt for a Head Phone amp to accompany my Audeze LCD-2 Headphones. I currently have a NuForce HA200 (http://www.optoma.co.uk/soundproduct/HA200) which I think I'm going to return as I don't feel it offers enough power for the top end volume and I do miss the option to add more bass when I want it. Just seems to lack what I want. I bought the two as part of a Black Friday combo deal with the agreement that I was able to return it if I did not like.

So I guess I'm looking for a amp/Dac combo to replace the NuForce HA200.

Any recommendations for the UK market please?

Thanks.

Dec 5, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #2 of 22
Maybe the gain is low, end up you have to turn the volume knob all the way up? But reading the spec that their peak power is a lot that can make human ear deaf 
L3000.gif

600mW @ 16 Ohm 937mW @ 32 Ohm 530mW @ 100 Ohm 180mW @ 300 Ohm 96.3mW @ 600 Ohm"

Maybe you can try the heat liquid carbon and match with a DAC you like. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 6, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #3 of 22
  Maybe the gain is low, end up you have to turn the volume knob all the way up? But reading the spec that their peak power is a lot that can make human ear deaf 
L3000.gif

Maybe you can try the heat liquid carbon and match with a DAC you like. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Hi,

Thanks for your reply :)

You quoted the peak power output..

Peak power output

To the side of that I think is the actual power output into headphones(?) which is...
Output voltage
393mW @ 16 Ohm 747mW @ 32 Ohm 383mW @ 100 Ohm 129mW @ 300 Ohm 70mW @ 600 Ohm

When the volume is at the top end and the volume on the playing device is cranked all the way up too... The top end volume on the amp is not as loud as I had thought. I know that listening at high volumes is not good for hearing. But that is not my point of why I flagged this as an issue for me. It is because some tracks are a fair amount lower in volume and the extra output volume is needed. It's always nice to have that reserve than to find you are listening to music at almost the full volume allowance and that volume is not "loud".

Is there any decent amp/dac combo out there that won't break the bank that I can consider ?

Thanks again for replying.

Dec 6, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #4 of 22

Hi,

Thanks for your reply :)

You quoted the peak power output..

Peak power output

To the side of that I think is the actual power output into headphones(?) which is...
Output voltage
393mW @ 16 Ohm 747mW @ 32 Ohm 383mW @ 100 Ohm 129mW @ 300 Ohm 70mW @ 600 Ohm

When the volume is at the top end and the volume on the playing device is cranked all the way up too... The top end volume on the amp is not as loud as I had thought. I know that listening at high volumes is not good for hearing. But that is not my point of why I flagged this as an issue for me. It is because some tracks are a fair amount lower in volume and the extra output volume is needed. It's always nice to have that reserve than to find you are listening to music at almost the full volume allowance and that volume is not "loud".

Is there any decent amp/dac combo out there that won't break the bank that I can consider ?

Thanks again for replying.

Hmm, the LC is selling $599 alone, I sent an email to Stoner Acoustics few days ago, if you are getting the EGD and EGA stack together, they are offering a really attractive price! Both the DAC and AMP seem really promising, in specs and provided measurements in their website. Maybe you can try to PM them. 

Dec 6, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #5 of 22
Just get to know that there is a new review for their EGA from their fanpage, http://earmass.com/2015/12/05/stoner-acoustics-ega-the-end-game/ .

I am not really into the review as I am a bit worry that the review was biased because everything was written like "too good to be true"? As the reviewer are from Malaysia, SA is a Malaysian based company too. Sorry if I have offended them, but I am from Malaysia as well. Maybe any EGD/EGA users can give us some inputs?  
beerchug.gif

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #6 of 22
  Just get to know that there is a new review for their EGA from their fanpage, http://earmass.com/2015/12/05/stoner-acoustics-ega-the-end-game/ .

I am not really into the review as I am a bit worry that the review was biased because everything was written like "too good to be true"? As the reviewer are from Malaysia, SA is a Malaysian based company too. Sorry if I have offended them, but I am from Malaysia as well. Maybe any EGD/EGA users can give us some inputs?  
beerchug.gif

Hi,

It's missing the Bass Boost feature I'd want on a DAC. But apart from that it looks a good set up for those not wanting the bass boost option.
But it's not for me.

So I'm still looking for more suggestions please..

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #7 of 22
Not much choice for high performance balanced DAC & Amp at this price, maybe you can drive the LCD2 with normal unbalanced signal? Then you will have lot of choice with bass boost at this price. 
beerchug.gif

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #8 of 22
  Not much choice for high performance balanced DAC & Amp at this price, maybe you can drive the LCD2 with normal unbalanced signal? Then you will have lot of choice with bass boost at this price. 
beerchug.gif

Hi,

Balanced is not important to me. I'm looking for a good quality/sounding with a few options to be able to increase bass.
Price wise... I can flex but don't want to be spending as much as what the Oppo 1 amp costs. Although that amp looks the bee's knees.

Dec 7, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #9 of 22
Hi,

Balanced is not important to me. I'm looking for a good quality/sounding with a few options to be able to increase bass.
Price wise... I can flex but don't want to be spending as much as what the Oppo 1 amp costs. Although that amp looks the bee's knees.

I have the LC and the Feliks running off a quality dac. They kill my oppo HA1. Not even close.
Both amps drive the LCD 2.2s easily

I recommend either amp. I am so happy with both of them.
I'm a tube guy, so the Elise gets 95% of my listening time, but the Carbon is a fantastic amp.
I'm selling my Oppo. It just doesn't compete.

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #10 of 22
I have the LC and the Feliks running off a quality dac. They kill my oppo HA1. Not even close.
Both amps drive the LCD 2.2s easily

I recommend either amp. I am so happy with both of them.
I'm a tube guy, so the Elise gets 95% of my listening time, but the Carbon is a fantastic amp.
I'm selling my Oppo. It just doesn't compete.

Hi,

When you say "Quality Dac" what example would you give for that?

The "Elise" looks nice. Do they only ship from their web site... not an option to order on other sites like Amazon?
I'm looking for an option that will have really good bass options.

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by headsetgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What you need is higher gain levels, Problem is NuForce didn't publish the gain levels on your amp so it's hard to guess what can be louder than it. If I had to guess based on what I've tried so far that got the Audezees playing at really loud levels even on proper recordings like classical music, look into the following:

1. Burson Soloist and Conductor
2. Meier Corda Jazz and Classic (I have the older Cantate with -10dB or +6dB gain; the Jazz has 0 and +16dB)
3. Rega Ear v2 (it has very high +28dB gain that actually renders it useless for some dynamic driver headphones, but I got it cheap and works fine with my HD600)

Dec 9, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #13 of 22

What you need is higher gain levels, Problem is NuForce didn't publish the gain levels on your amp so it's hard to guess what can be louder than it. If I had to guess based on what I've tried so far that got the Audezees playing at really loud levels even on proper recordings like classical music, look into the following:

1. Burson Soloist and Conductor
2. Meier Corda Jazz and Classic (I have the older Cantate with -10dB or +6dB gain; the Jazz has 0 and +16dB)
3. Rega Ear v2 (it has very high +28dB gain that actually renders it useless for some dynamic driver headphones, but I got it cheap and works fine with my HD600)

Some nice kit there. Bass boost, is that usually DAC or AMP dependent?

He needs bass boost option... 
L3000.gif

I'd like that as an option for sure.

Dec 9, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by headsetgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some nice kit there. Bass boost, is that usually DAC or AMP dependent?

I don't use it and the closest I was to that with my previous post was mentioning the Bursons, although there I didn't discuss who they tend to boost the bass output on every headphone I tried with it vs the Meiers. Judging by how much more dramatic it was with lower impedance headphones I'm going to guess it has to do with impedance and damping factor. It doesn't bloat the bass or overwhelm the midrange so it's not too bad.

In any case it's normally on the amp circuit, as on top of some DAC-HPamps I have seen amps that have it but not dedicated DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back