Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v56 and HQ v97)
Apr 9, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #2,941 of 4,424
One week later, I have yet to charge it. It's sitting at 55% I think I used it for like 25-30 hours so far.

I absolutely love it. It's my first planar headset and I'm not much of an audiophile. But coming from an Arctis Pro Wireless, which I thought sounded good, the difference is night and day. It's almost like the sound from my Arctis Pro now sounds so low quality.

Apr 9, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #2,943 of 4,424
We have not received the shipment yet. Until the shipment arrives, we can't give a firm estimate.
So when will be a hotfix for updating dongle correctly? It's still 1.35, headset is 1.38. The installation failed at the begining

Attachments

• maxwell dongle.jpg
    maxwell dongle.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 0
Apr 9, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #2,944 of 4,424
So when will be a hotfix for updating dongle correctly? It's still 1.35, headset is 1.38. The installation failed at the begining
It should update correctly. The error is supposed to come at the end, but it will still be updated correctly and the version number will update. If it's falling at the beginning, there's another issue. Do you have the headset connected too? You're supposed to do them one at a time.

Apr 10, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #2,945 of 4,424
It should update correctly. The error is supposed to come at the end, but it will still be updated correctly and the version number will update. If it's falling at the beginning, there's another issue. Do you have the headset connected too? You're supposed to do them one at a time.
If the headset is turned off before the dongle update starts, the dongle itself is also turned off. Without the headset turned on, the dongle is not displayed in win 10

Apr 10, 2023 at 1:23 AM Post #2,946 of 4,424
If the headset is turned off before the dongle update starts, the dongle itself is also turned off. Without the headset turned on, the dongle is not displayed in win 10
Please check the list below,
  • Windows 10 is not running in a Virtual Machine.
  • The dongle is plugged into the computer directly, no USB hubs in the middle.
  • The headset is powered on and connected wirelessly through the dongle.
  • Disconnect all other connection except USB Dongle.
And please try updating the firmware under this environment.

Apr 10, 2023 at 4:29 AM Post #2,947 of 4,424
As I've been on the headphone journey for many years at this point, I've started to prioritize comfort more and more. I just can't enjoy a headphone, no matter how amazing it may sound, if it isn't comfortable and able to be worn for long periods of time (e.g. hifiman anything). In fact, I will gladly sacrifice some amount of sound quality for comfort.

For gaming in particular, something lightweight that "disappears" on the head is what I'd prefer. So my main hesitation with the Maxwell is comfort. 500+ g is just a lot of weight for a headphone.

Is anyone else able to make some comments on comfort?

For me the Maxwell is surprisingly comfortable despite the weight and (slightly) smallish earpads. I have the top strap at the max setting so i don't think i'm getting much of the suspension effect though. Clamp force is abit on the heavy side but i think it helps to distribute the weight quite a bit so i have no problems wearing it for like 1-2 hours. Ears get abit hot with the closed-backed design but that's to be expected.

Compared to some other planars i have, for reference (since they are on the heavier side):
vs Audeze LCD-2 (original rosewood) - 105g heavier with much stronger clamp force. I can't wear the LCD-2 longer than an hour without it hurting but the sound sig always draws me back. My headband is the original solid padded leather version though, the newer suspension design might be better.
vs Hifiman Arya - 90g lighter with much lighter clamp force. The huge earcups do rest on the lower jaw which may bother some. But for me it's supremely comfortable.
vs Hifiman Deva Pro Wireless - 105g lighter with lighter clamp force. Really comfortable for me even though it has a more traditional style headband, for me more so than the Maxwell.

Apr 10, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #2,948 of 4,424
Please check the list below,
  • Windows 10 is not running in a Virtual Machine.
  • The dongle is plugged into the computer directly, no USB hubs in the middle.
  • The headset is powered on and connected wirelessly through the dongle.
  • Disconnect all other connection except USB Dongle.
And please try updating the firmware under this environment.
So if I don't have a type-c port on my laptop than i can't update maxwell dongle, niiiice

Apr 10, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #2,953 of 4,424
Hi,
This product is very good, I love its sound and wireless stability.
There are only, for me, 2 drawbacks :
- For long heads, the suspended headband is no longer suspended and hits the hard headband reinforcement, which is very unpleasant. I do not understand that the latter is not a little larger, which would avoid this pitfall.
- I have more bass on the left than on the right (below about 250Hz), which has two effects: 1- certain sounds are less well located in-game. 2- some music may lack a bit of warmth due to a very slight deficit in the corresponding frequencies.
Seems I'm not the only guy (around 30:10) :

@Audeze :
- is it a driver issue or software's like DSP ?
- Would it be possible to implement a parametric equalizer with independent channel? In addition to allowing people to correct a similar problem, it would be helpful for those with asymmetric hearing problems.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #2,954 of 4,424
There was a Maxwell still in stock at the shop I mostly get my audio gear, ordered one yesterday and got it today (in the Netherlands). So far the headset sounds pretty good for being a headset :D
What shop was that? I live in the Netherlands and it doesn't seem to be available anywhere for a decent price. The most promising was HiFi Klubben, but they said it would be in stock on 3 April and still nothing. :slight_frown:

on ios, with the dynamic EQ of Bathys they have about the same tuning, Bathys is technically still the best headphone tho. The Bathys also blows away the maxwell once you use it in usb dac mode on pc, altho the maxwell also benefits being used wired.
In what way are the Bathys technically better? What if you are only using them wireless?

@Resolve Finds the Maxwell "more 'objectively great' in the measurements sense", with "a more straightforwardly great tuning". He does rate the Bathys higher for "dynamics/contrast", but I've always had a hard time understanding what that means... :)

https://forum.headphones.com/t/aude...eadphones-official-discussion-thread/19925/29
https://forum.headphones.com/t/foca...ellation-official-discussion-thread/18861/207

Thanks

Apr 10, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #2,955 of 4,424
He does rate the Bathys higher for "dynamics/contrast", but I've always had a hard time understanding what that means... :)
AFAIK dynamics/contrast simply put is the difference in volume between the quietest and loudest sounds that are reproduced by the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back