Audeze Headphone Amp/DAC w/ DSP
Oct 21, 2013 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rrahman

100+ Head-Fier
I was just wondering if anyone had heard about this DAC/headphone amp w/ DSP that Chris Marten's was mentioning on AVguide.com

"Finally, Audeze showed a proof-of-concept prototype of its upcoming DDA-1 DAC/headphone amplifier with—get this—built-in DSP correction. In theory, the DSP system could be used to achieve hyper-accurate, ultra-flat frequency response with any of Audeze’s headphone models, but might also allow user-adjustable voicing curves. At show time, price and time of release information for the DDA-1 were not yet available." -Chris Martens

Oct 21, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #2 of 9
Sounds interesting.

I want.

Oct 21, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 9
interesting. however i've always wondered, whats the benefit of hardware based dsp in dacs, vs a well made eq system in software? shouldnt you be able to achieve the same result by upsampling to 24/192 or 32/192 then performing the eq/dsp in software then sending to the dac? much cheaper this way for sure.

Oct 22, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #4 of 9
  interesting. however i've always wondered, whats the benefit of hardware based dsp in dacs, vs a well made eq system in software? shouldnt you be able to achieve the same result by upsampling to 24/192 or 32/192 then performing the eq/dsp in software then sending to the dac? much cheaper this way for sure.

I have been wondering the exact same thing. To my knowledge hardware eq should affect sound quality negatively, software eq shouldn't.

Dec 16, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #5 of 9

I have been wondering the exact same thing. To my knowledge hardware eq should affect sound quality negatively, software eq shouldn't.

AFAIK a DSP does use software. However as a dedicated signal processor it can potentially execute its software much faster, which in theory should enable it to implement a real-time filter with higher quality.

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #6 of 9
Lol it's not rocket science, there's no difference in hardware or software, it's all about the implementation. Any recent PC can run pretty much any algorithm ever created (it's not like EQ/convolution filter requires much). Obviously hardware is more convenient but less flexible.

Jan 12, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #7 of 9
no more news about this prototype ? 

Feb 23, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #8 of 9
I find this very interesting!! I didn't see a source link included, so here you go, for anyone interested. 

Any more info out there on this?

Feb 23, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #9 of 9
I find this very interesting!! I didn't see a source link included, so here you go, for anyone interested. 

Any more info out there on this?

Here is another (different) can jam link with a bit more detail. Scroll down and you'll see more including some impressions.
http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2013/10/28/rmaf-2013-canjam-from-audio360/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back