Audeze EL-8vs Sennheiser HD 630VB vs HD650 ? ( for all type of music home usage )
Jun 29, 2016 at 10:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

OmidelF

100+ Head-Fier
hello guys i need your help here 

which on of these 2 headphones are better in Comfort , and for genres like pop , trance and dance , and overall every genre except Classic and jazz ? i listen to almost every genre including rock but i dont listen to jazz and Classic
but i heard some reviews that EL 8 open back makes trance music lifeless ?!! do you agree ? if so then which one is better , closed EL 8 or 630VB in overall comfort and sound 

i dont produce music so i want the sound to be colorful and nice 

i should mention im not a basshead so i really don't want a headphone with a lot of bass , but also i don't want it to lack the bass either , so if this EL 8 Open back actually makes Trance and Pop music sound awful then please let me know 

also please answer if you at least tested ,or have, one of them 

to sum up , these hifi headphones are available where i live ( i cant ship anything from other countries ) :
HD 650 , VB630 , EL8(close and open) , T90 , T1 , HD700 , T5p 2nd gen and first  , Shure 1840 and 1540 

Jul 4, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #4 of 25
No need to get bitter...you're asking for a comparison between one headphone that isn't very popular on Head-Fi and another that is very new. In other words, not many of us have even tried either one, let alone both.
I have the EL-8 closed, and briefly tried the 630 VB at a recent show.The bass dial does make the bass more pronounced, but not boomy. Otherwise it sounded neutral. The EL-8 closed also seems to be fairly neutral. Both are pretty big headphones, but the EL-8 is quite heavy. I'm not knowledgeable at all about the music you listen to, but if you want something where you can "feel" the beat, the Sennheiser may be the better of the two for you. Just my opinion, but the VB seems like it can be driven more easily. The EL-8 is definitely not something I'd try to use walking around town, just at home hooked up to a headphone amp.

Jul 4, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #5 of 25

Everyone has their own definition of colorful and nice.  I have the HD600 and the 630VB.  I would easily choose the 600 for a home set-up.  I use the 630vb as part of a mobile unit.  The 630vb might be considered more "fun"...depending on what you listen to.

I have not heard the EL-8 or the 650.

Bern

Jul 4, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #6 of 25
I own the hd650 and have heard the EL8.

For trance and dance music these headphones may lack the impact in the bass you are looking for. On the upside, both are expansive and engaging throughout the rest of the spectrum and some of the best produced electronic music is going to sound stellar with them. I'm okay with the frequency response of the hd650 and I enjoy its bass presentation, but I also have headphones that give me more impact in the bass range. I also have no issues equalizing the headphones if I need more bass.

I haven't heard the 630vb,but judging by its frequency response and adjustable bass it is going to help you shape a more impactful sound when required and a more neutral tone for other genres.

630vb looks like a good bet.

Other recommendations would the the new Fostex TH-610, the massdrop.com versions TH-6xx, Audeze Sine, ATH-m50x, ATH-WS99BT, Fidelio X2

Jul 4, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #7 of 25
I own the hd650 and have heard the EL8.

For trance and dance music these headphones may lack the impact in the bass you are looking for. On the upside, both are expansive and engaging throughout the rest of the spectrum and some of the best produced electronic music is going to sound stellar with them. I'm okay with the frequency response of the hd650 and I enjoy its bass presentation, but I also have headphones that give me more impact in the bass range. I also have no issues equalizing the headphones if I need more bass.

I haven't heard the 630vb,but judging by its frequency response and adjustable bass it is going to help you shape a more impactful sound when required and a more neutral tone for other genres.

630vb looks like a good bet.

Other recommendations would the the new Fostex TH-610, the massdrop.com versions TH-6xx, Audeze Sine, ATH-m50x, ATH-WS99BT, Fidelio X2

i have to say im not a basshead , so im not looking for extra bass , i just dont want a trance and electronic music sound bad on them considering im payin a lot of $

are you saying they sound not good at trance ? or just not that bass head type of headphone?

also which one sound better and these genres ? like trance and dance and hip hop ? hd650 or EL8 ? and did you listen to open or close version 

to sum up , these hifi headphones are available where i live ( i cant ship anything from other countries ) :
HD 650 , VB630 , EL8(close and open) , T90 , T1 , HD700 , T5p 2nd gen and first  , Shure 1840 and 1540 

and i just want a change in sound , you know i already have Denon d2000 and i want to jump to the next level , something different i guess
maybe so good that when i listen to a pop music , i can feel the singer is singing next to me ! im not having that with my denon 

which one of these do you guys suggest ? i just want a great experience with every genre of music , and im not looking for big bass , i just dont want them to sound bad at some genres compared to my denon , like in pop or trance

Jul 4, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #8 of 25
No need to get bitter...you're asking for a comparison between one headphone that isn't very popular on Head-Fi and another that is very new. In other words, not many of us have even tried either one, let alone both.
I have the EL-8 closed, and briefly tried the 630 VB at a recent show.The bass dial does make the bass more pronounced, but not boomy. Otherwise it sounded neutral. The EL-8 closed also seems to be fairly neutral. Both are pretty big headphones, but the EL-8 is quite heavy. I'm not knowledgeable at all about the music you listen to, but if you want something where you can "feel" the beat, the Sennheiser may be the better of the two for you. Just my opinion, but the VB seems like it can be driven more easily. The EL-8 is definitely not something I'd try to use walking around town, just at home hooked up to a headphone amp.

thanks for reply , some questions

1. is EL-8 comfortable for you ? like for 3-4 hours of usage ? ( i also wanna use it at home)

2. have you tried the open version of el8 ? which one you think is better for home usage ?

3.also i have to mention im not looking for extra bass , i just want to feel the music , which one would you say have better music experience in all genres , EL 8 or VB630 ? 
i mean if you had to use 1 headphone for your home usage , and for all genres including pop and trance and even hip hop , which one would you go for ?

Jul 4, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #9 of 25
  Everyone has their own definition of colorful and nice.  I have the HD600 and the 630VB.  I would easily choose the 600 for a home set-up.  I use the 630vb as part of a mobile unit.  The 630vb might be considered more "fun"...depending on what you listen to.

I have not heard the EL-8 or the 650.

Bern

thanks , what genres you listen to ? and why do you choose HD600 over 630 ? i listen to all genres including pop and trance and hip hop , whats your suggestion ? 2 post above i listed the headphones available where i live , which one would you go for ?

Jul 4, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #10 of 25
thanks for reply , some questions

1. is EL-8 comfortable for you ? like for 3-4 hours of usage ? ( i also wanna use it at home)

2. have you tried the open version of el8 ? which one you think is better for home usage ?

3.also i have to mention im not looking for extra bass , i just want to feel the music , which one would you say have better music experience in all genres , EL 8 or VB630 ? 
i mean if you had to use 1 headphone for your home usage , and for all genres including pop and trance and even hip hop , which one would you go for ?

For some folks, using the EL-8 for hours at a time would be OK, but I find them too heavy to wear that long. I tend to only listen 30-40 minutes at a time, regardless of what headphone I'm using.

I've tried the EL-8 open, but just for a few minutes, so I couldn't really comment if one is better or not. I'm looking for something closed to use at work, so I won't disturb anyone nearby.

Generally, folks find open backs to sound clearer and not have boomy bass, but you lose isolation and overall amount of bass.
The closed EL-8 I suspect will have go lower in bass frequency than the Denon D2000 ( I used to use one a lot, years ago). The EL does not have the prominent midbass hump of the D2000, nor the sometimes sharp treble.
If you don't need to block out outside sound too much ( or worst about bothering others), possibly the EL-8 open would be better for you. Hard to really say, since preferences vary wildly from person to person.

Jul 5, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #11 of 25
i have to say im not a basshead , so im not looking for extra bass , i just dont want a trance and electronic music sound bad on them considering im payin a lot of $

are you saying they sound not good at trance ? or just not that bass head type of headphone?

also which one sound better and these genres ? like trance and dance and hip hop ? hd650 or EL8 ? and did you listen to open or close version 

and i just want a change in sound , you know i already have Denon d2000 and i want to jump to the next level , something different i guess
maybe so good that when i listen to a pop music , i can feel the singer is singing next to me ! im not having that with my denon 

which one of these do you guys suggest ? i just want a great experience with every genre of music , and im not looking for big bass , i just dont want them to sound bad at some genres compared to my denon , like in pop or trance

Ah you have a D2000. Well you might as well get an open headphone then :)

HD650 for vocals. Great mid-range. The bass is plenty punchy but doesn't overtake anything. HD650 sound excellent with electronic music. Then em up with a slight bit of EQ to the bass and the my rock. They are fine without EQ as well. I think they are excellent for electronic.

EL8 open is what I listened to and I thought it was very good. It didn't have the weight of my LCD/ both physically and sonically but I thought it was more comfortable while still offering that planar precision. It would definitely add a new dimension to you music being open and using different driver tech than your current D2000. These will also be excellent for electronic.

It would be tough choice between the two.

Jul 5, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #12 of 25

which on of these 2 headphones are better in Comfort , and for genres like pop , trance and dance , and overall every genre except Classic and jazz ? i listen to almost every genre including rock but i dont listen to jazz and Classic
but i heard some reviews that EL 8 open back makes trance music lifeless ?!! do you agree ? if so then which one is better , closed EL 8 or 630VB in overall comfort and sound 

i should mention im not a basshead so i really don't want a headphone with a lot of bass , but also i don't want it to lack the bass either , so if this EL 8 Open back actually makes Trance and Pop music sound awful then please let me know 

also please answer if you at least tested ,or have, one of them 

I have owned the HD 650 and the closed back El-8 so I can only comment on those two.  Based on the information you have given I would recommend the El-8 over the 650's for you.  I did not think the El-8's were as comfortable, but they are the better choice for the music you listed and the better choice if you are playing music straight out of a portable device as they are easier to drive.  Even though I felt the 650's had a better sound, I liked the El-8's more because they were more fun.  I don't listed to classical or jazz or acoustic so I never fully appreciated the 650s.  I listen to rock/indie/hip hop and felt the El-8's were much better for those genres.  In fact I sold my 650's to buy the El-8's and never regretted it.  The only reason I eventually sold the El-8's was up upgrade to LCD-3s.

Jul 6, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #13 of 25
hi , for a while i used both EL8 Closed and Open , but honestly i didn't like them , because first for the price / performance ratio you have much better option than the audeze , comfort issue , el series it was so damn slow compare to other headphone on that price range and other planar , but after i checked hifiman like 400S and 400i i can tell you those headphone is superior choice compare to el8 and easier to drive too with less price and worth every cent you paying for , hd630vb is a nice headphone but i only recommended to audiophile bass head guys , even for the half of the price i have doubt about el8 series because you pay for nothing , of course this is my personal opinion

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #14 of 25
  hi , for a while i used both EL8 Closed and Open , but honestly i didn't like them , because first for the price / performance ratio you have much better option than the audeze , comfort issue , el series it was so damn slow compare to other headphone on that price range and other planar , but after i checked hifiman like 400S and 400i i can tell you those headphone is superior choice compare to el8 and easier to drive too with less price and worth every cent you paying for , hd630vb is a nice headphone but i only recommended to audiophile bass head guys , even for the half of the price i have doubt about el8 series because you pay for nothing , of course this is my personal opinion

thanks but 400i or no hifman headphone is available where i live and shipping cost is high :frowning2:

these are the headphones available : 

thanks all for replies , so overall i guess im not going to buy EL8 based on what people who tried them said ,it would be risky to go for them considering there is no test before purchase
and HD650 is out too i guess

what should i do guys ? should i just stay with my denon d2000 ? i really wanted a different and more realistic sound
you know , that kind of sound that makes you believe singer is right next to you singing or something ... 
any suggestion ?

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #15 of 25
thanks but 400i or no hifman headphone is available where i live and shipping cost is high :frowning2:

these are the headphones available : 

thanks all for replies , so overall i guess im not going to buy EL8 based on what people who tried them said ,it would be risky to go for them considering there is no test before purchase
and HD650 is out too i guess

what should i do guys ? should i just stay with my denon d2000 ? i really wanted a different and more realistic sound
you know , that kind of sound that makes you believe singer is right next to you singing or something ... 
any suggestion ?

If you desire satisfying vocals, then the HD650 is the easy choice. Even if you just wanted the "best" headphone out of all the ones mentioned, the HD650 is an easy choice. The EL-8 Open is a nice and natural sounding headphone, but is a rather love it or hate it affair. The HD650 is one of the greatest headphones of all time for a reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back