Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Oct 30, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #5,566 of 6,486

A lot of us experienced that. This is a common issue with either wiring inside the cups or the connectors. Even replacements seem to exhibit these issues. My recommendation is if you like it, get it replaced at the dealer (local or online) that you purchased the EL-8 from, or just outright return it and try purchasing it again. I wouldn't recommend going through Audeze customer service for a new product, unless you have purchased it directly from Audeze. It is far faster and easier to return or exchange at the dealer.

Wow...really common? You'd think they would do a recall or something, or some official queue to sign up for.

Same thing happened to me, very common issue. 6 weeks before I got my replacement pair, but i got them and it sounds great, I'm wearing them now!

Oh god... 6 weeks?! This sounds like somewhat of a nightmare...

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #5,567 of 6,486

Yeah, it was pretty much a nightmare, but mine got lost in the mail for 2 weeks, so I'd say look for 3-4 weeks maximum I think. My 1st pair also had screeching harsh highs and high mids; they sounded horrible. Only after I got my replacement pair did i know that the screeching highs were also a common defect.

Oct 30, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #5,568 of 6,486

Wow...really common? You'd think they would do a recall or something, or some official queue to sign up for.

There actually is a recall, the drivers are failing because of a way the headphones are packaged. I'm assuming you got the black box model with the green Audeze logo on it.

Their new packaging is WHITE and, strangely enough, I feel the sound signature is much different compared to the original run for the open-back models. It feels a lot more smooth and balanced in comparisons to the black box one where the sound signature was all in your face. The new one is a bit more laid back but sooooo much better when it comes to long term listening. They definitely tweaked with it.

Oct 30, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #5,569 of 6,486
There actually is a recall, the drivers are failing because of a way the headphones are packaged. I'm assuming you got the black box model with the green Audeze logo on it.

Their new packaging is WHITE and, strangely enough, I feel the sound signature is much different compared to the original run for the open-back models. It feels a lot more smooth and balanced in comparisons to the black box one where the sound signature was all in your face. The new one is a bit more laid back but sooooo much better when it comes to long term listening. They definitely tweaked with it.

Is this true for both the open and closed models?

Oct 30, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #5,570 of 6,486
Im curious. Are there any folks who prefer the EL8 to the LCD2? Ive heard both, but only for a few minutes each, and it was not enough time to form a strong preference. For folks who love the EL8 at the very least equally, what do you think are its greatest strengths?

I prefer the EL-8 Open over the LCD2! I've just started a thread in which I discuss the differences: http://www.head-fi.org/t/786181/alternative-to-el-8-open
Greatest strengths in my humble opinion:

- wonderful, linear bass response. good impact and good sub-bass presence, but not too much! I love bass, but I don't want too much of it.
- Spaciousness! Man, width is quite awesome in my opinion. LCD 2's sound just hits a wall quite quickly.
- Instruments have more room to breath, LCD 2 sounds congested in comparison.

What's up with this newer version of EL-8O? You've made me reaaalllly curious!

Oct 30, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #5,574 of 6,486
It's a different box than I got. Also, the sound is different, and I heard this difference at my dealer. Subtle, but different. So no, I'm not jumping to conclusions. I'm basing my conclusion on a long history of the company doing this.

A different box proves the headphones have been changed?  The different box is to address the acknowledged damage caused by the original box to some of the headphones.
Did you listen to the EL-8s back to back on the same gear or are you basing this on memory?

You sure do have some axe to grind with Audeze.

Oct 30, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #5,575 of 6,486
  A different box proves the headphones have been changed?  The different box is to address the acknowledged damage caused by the original box to some of the headphones.
Did you listen to the EL-8s back to back on the same gear or are you basing this on memory?

You sure do have some axe to grind with Audeze.

I got a black box and my headphones sound perfect. Now maybe the box has nothing to do with it, but I did get told by a distributor that there was going to be a recall. 

Also as I said before my original EL-8C closed had absolutely screeching highs in the 2-4k range that are completely gone in the headphones I have now. I don't know if the headphones were changed or my 1st pair were just defective. But a lot of people complained about the screeching, harsh highs, I believe some in this thread complained about them. 

Oct 30, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #5,576 of 6,486
 I got a black box and my headphones sound perfect. Now maybe the box has nothing to do with it, but I did get told by a distributor that there was going to be a recall. 

Also as I said before my original EL-8C closed had absolutely screeching highs in the 2-4k range that are completely gone in the headphones I have now. I don't know if the headphones were changed or my 1st pair were just defective. But a lot of people complained about the screeching, harsh highs, I believe some in this thread complained about them. 

Maybe Audezecan chime in here?

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #5,577 of 6,486

Curious - when did you receive your replacement EL-8 closed? My headphones were from a shipment in mid-September. I will likely be listening to another EL-8 closed at a local meet in one week, and will ask the guy there the same question.

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #5,578 of 6,486
It's a different box than I got. Also, the sound is different, and I heard this difference at my dealer. Subtle, but different. So no, I'm not jumping to conclusions. I'm basing my conclusion on a long history of the company doing this.

Yeah it's definitely different for the better . I was one of the first preorders and had the drivers die on me quick and my second unit gave me problems too.

The first time I had a exchange , the mids were clearer but the sound was in your face and hard to listen to over time . Also, the headband was freaking annoying . So much CLAMP on the headband even though the earcups are comfy .

I got the ones with the white box now about a week and a half ago . I definitely know they tweaked it because I spent more than 300 hours on my old one . There is no longer any clamp at all and is an extremely comfy headphone compared to before . I rate it from a 6.5 to a 8.5/10 with the new box model . Earcups rotation also feels more sturdy for some reason but could be different from model to model ( both my old el8s were loose when they were turned) .

It's a better headphone overall and I spoke with Audezes director of sales when I did the exchange. There is going to be a recall for all older models. They Are able to check if it's a older model based on the serial number.

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #5,579 of 6,486
Curious - when did you receive your replacement EL-8 closed? My headphones were from a shipment in mid-September. I will likely be listening to another EL-8 closed at a local meet in one week, and will ask the guy there the same question.

I got my replacements beginning of October.

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #5,580 of 6,486
  So I just received my EL-8, and it sounded AWESOME... for about 10 minutes.  Then, the right side lost signal.  I tried unplugging and replugging the cable in a few times, but that didn't fix it.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

Like many others said, this has happened a lot.

I posted it ~10 pages back, but my replacement experience with Audeze was quick and painless. The trick is to just give them a call -- they'll get you sorted out much faster than if you just submit a ticket online. From driver failure to replacement took about two weeks for me in total, which isn't bad at all for warranty service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back