Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jul 17, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #5,446 of 6,486
I'm sorry but if you really think these are worth the price tag you are extremely mistaken. I've never heard a snare drum so muddled in my life on a pair of headphones over 50 dollars before. Sub bass was alright but the treble was so bright and screechy I honestly thought I had a defective pair of headphones. Seriously, for the price tag they might be one of the worst to buy. I enjoyed my grado sr 60e more than these.

Wow. Interesting. I have the Grado SR60 and adore them.

I was planning on getting the EL-8 open-backs and was worried that they wouldn't sound as good as the amazing as these SR60.

Maybe I'll just get the 225e or 325e.

Jul 17, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #5,447 of 6,486
I would at least give them a listen and find out for yourself since tastes vary. If you listen yourself and decide you don't like them then at least you'll be able to definitively move on. I have the 225i and EL-8 open backs and I happen to like the EL-8s quite a lot better. I also love my 225s and they're not going anywhere, but they just don't keep me listening the same way the EL-8s do. 

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #5,448 of 6,486
  I would at least give them a listen and find out for yourself since tastes vary. If you listen yourself and decide you don't like them then at least you'll be able to definitively move on. I have the 225i and EL-8 open backs and I happen to like the EL-8s quite a lot better. I also love my 225s and they're not going anywhere, but they just don't keep me listening the same way the EL-8s do. 

What are you to drive your EL8 and SR225i?  I've found that the EL8 is very easy to drive and sounds pretty good with a Fiio X1 or X3ii.  I have a SR-225e and it takes a little more to drive them properly, really like them with my Project Ember and a Telefunken 12AX7 tube.

Jul 19, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #5,450 of 6,486
Thanks for the advice guys. Something I forgot to mention that I did audition EL-8 closed-back version and thought they were pretty cool I also auditioned the Grado 225, 325 and Rs 1.

I did like the EL-8 closed back, not as much as the Grado SR60, and assumed that the open-back EL-8 would impress me more.

I tried the RS1 and didnt like it much but I imagine it needed burn and proper source and amp and I imagine could sound great.

So far no headphone has engaged me and given me the punch and weigjt to each note with forward mids as much as the SR60. Even my PSB M4U2 barely get anytime anymore because of the SR60.

The SR60 imo has exactly the sound and comfort that im looking for, they simply disappear after a while.

Im looking forward to experiencing what the next step forward will be of a mid centric sound with pure comfort like the Grado.

Maybe hifiman, Audeze(might feel too heavy to wear, EL-8 felt fine), or another Grado.

Jul 19, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #5,451 of 6,486

What are you to drive your EL8 and SR225i?  I've found that the EL8 is very easy to drive and sounds pretty good with a Fiio X1 or X3ii.  I have a SR-225e and it takes a little more to drive them properly, really like them with my Project Ember and a Telefunken 12AX7 tube.

I have a Burson HA-160D feeding my EL-8 and SR-225i. Like you, I also found that the EL8 is easy to drive and doesn't sound bad at all straight out of an iPhone 6 Plus. I do like both my SR-225i and the EL-8 out of my Burson HA-160D better though. If anything, it seems that the EL-8 is most picky about the source. I also use a MicroMega MyDAC for my speaker system and sometimes with other headphone setups and it sounds wonderful, but the EL-8 sounds terrible with that as my DAC. 

Jul 19, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #5,452 of 6,486
I have been using my EL-8's daily for over a week and I was really enjoying them. Pulled them out again today and the right cup was completely dead. Pressing the cup against your head brings life back to them but as soon as you let go they go dead again. Anyone else experience this? Returned them to the dealer today and waiting to see what they do about it.

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #5,453 of 6,486
  Just got my open version today. Anyone notice something off about either cup? My left one seems to feel a little "enclosed". When I press on the side it puts air pressure on my ear, and the right one doesn't, almost like air is having trouble escaping the left cup... They still sound incredible though, but I may take them to the store and see if i can swap them out.

Glad I found this comment. I experienced this with my pair, only I had the pressure on both cups. Anyone else experiencing this with their pair?

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #5,454 of 6,486
 Just got my open version today. Anyone notice something off about either cup? My left one seems to feel a little "enclosed". When I press on the side it puts air pressure on my ear, and the right one doesn't, almost like air is having trouble escaping the left cup... They still sound incredible though, but I may take them to the store and see if i can swap them out.

Glad I found this comment. I experienced this with my pair, only I had the pressure on both cups. Anyone else experiencing this with their pair?

I've noticed this with new pads on multiple Audeze headphone models. The problem goes away as the pads break in after a few hours of use.

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #5,455 of 6,486
I've noticed this with new pads on multiple Audeze headphone models. The problem goes away as the pads break in after a few hours of use.

Good to know and thanks for sharing your experience. Got me thinking that it might have been the cause of my right cup dying. I haven't experienced this in my other open backs, so it got me a bit worried.

Jul 19, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #5,456 of 6,486
Yeah, I had these happen with mine as well. Shipped them back to Audeze and they sent me a replacement that arrived a week later. And they gave me an extra cable!

There's an issue with a loose connection in some of the models, but Audeze seems to be really good at fixing them/replacing them.

Jul 19, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #5,457 of 6,486
Has anyone been able to compare the el-8 open to either the grado ps500(e) or rs1(e)? I'm looking to buy one of the 3 and plan to keep it simple by using my iPhone 6+ or MacBook 12". Thanks

Have the EL8 open and RS2e, SR-225e and built 3 SennGrado's, the EL8 is the easiest to drive but for the price I would take a SennGrado anyday, but it also DIY so that might be a problem for some.  My reasoning for a SennGrado, cost is less than $150, you can tune the sound with dynamat, try different PX-100ii drivers, try different wood cups and also wood types for far less than the cost of EL8 and RS1e, actually have a budget for amp like Project Ember which works great with SennGrado's and a lot of other headphones.

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #5,459 of 6,486
Can anyone point me to a comparison between the open el-8 and the 400i? Cheers 
beerchug.gif

Jul 24, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #5,460 of 6,486
  Can anyone point me to a comparison between the open el-8 and the 400i? Cheers 
beerchug.gif

My take on HE-400i and EL8 open:

EL8: Easy to drive, slightly heavy on the head, padding too thin, only headphone that I noticed burn-in, when from dark to warm over a period of 200+ hours.  After that they are some what bright with some genre of music, for me I would not consider them $700, more like $300-400.  I got these thinking that they would be some what like the LCD-2f but not even close.  I haven' had any problems with the connectors but you never know, wish they went with a simpler one where you can DIY.

HE-400i: Harder to drive properly, best results for me are either Project Ember or Lyr2, stock cable a little on the short side, pretty balanced sound signature, bass not as low or solid like HE-400, but not bad, mids are a little forward IMO and highs are quite smooth, but still a little short of the HE-560.

I like the sound of the HE-400i better but the EL8 being so easy to drive and folds flat makes it better to take on trips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back