Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jun 28, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #5,416 of 6,486
  suggestions on a nice dac no more than $500 to pair with the el-8 open & v200 amp?

I would suggest a warmer, smoother dac for an el-8 pairing. Musical Fidelity may be an option worth exploring.

Jun 28, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #5,417 of 6,486
I would suggest an Aune T1 mk2 tube DAC. 

The T1 actually sends the digital signal through a tube before it gets to the amp.

Jun 29, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #5,418 of 6,486
http://www.head-fi.org/t/772647/beta-testing-the-new-audeze-black-box

Looks interesting 

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #5,420 of 6,486
  Those of you pairing the EL-8 with the WA7: are you using the lo-z or hi-z impedance setting?

I use lo-z with mine. How are you liking that pairing so far? I've tried a couple different WA7tp power supply tube rolls and so far the stock tubes are the only ones that even slightly warm up the sound of the EL-8s. And only on not so treble intensive tracks.

Jul 1, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #5,421 of 6,486
Speaking of which..anyone want to purchase a mint condition pair of open-back EL-8s? DM me if interested.

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #5,423 of 6,486

Yeah I took them back to the store and I was surprised to find their demo pair AND a new pair out of the box had this issue. The salesperson said it was the mylar crumpling, but it was much more noticeable in the left earcup. I bought the LCD-2s instead and man oh man are they an upgrade over the EL-8s. Much larger soundstage and nicer bass in my opinion (even for EDM) and that syrupy mid range is there too. Compared them to the AKG 812s which I could have bought for even less than the LCD-2 but I really preferred the LCDs over the very dark, warm signature of the 812s. Very happy with my purchase!

A little heavy, but they sound great even coming straight from my MBP. The cable is rubbish though, and the included 3.5mm adapter crackles when I turn the plug. May pick up an aftermarket cable for these.

For those buying the EL-8s try moving your head around and pushing on the earcups a little, checking for crumpling noises, as I suspect this may be a fault in the design as three pairs exhibited it (both new and burned in). It was a dealbreaker for me.

Same thing here ... when I move my head on either side I can hear the sound changes and hear that crumpling noise. That is really sad. I bought a LCD-2 like a month ago and really loved it so I bought these for portable use but it doesn't fit me I guess. I do not have any store around to test before I buy stuff so I'm stuck with it ! I'll try and contact Audeze ... maybe they will give me a hint to fix this little annoying problem.

Jul 2, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #5,428 of 6,486
lol. I personally measured no frequency response changes with my pair of EL-8s (brand new out of box vs various time intervals over 2 months), so I wouldn't put too much hope in measurable burn-in for these headphones.

I do think it's unique coloration may benefit from some brain burn-in time. I can see where the muffled impressions come into play, though I personally disagree with that assessment. The edginess/raspiness to the upper mids and treble is quite noticeable for my ears & was not a good fit for my preferences.

Jul 2, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #5,429 of 6,486
lol. I personally measured no frequency response changes with my pair of EL-8s (brand new out of box vs various time intervals over 2 months), so I wouldn't put too much hope in measurable burn-in for these headphones.

I do think it's unique coloration may benefit from some brain burn-in time. I can see where the muffled impressions come into play, though I personally disagree with that assessment. The edginess/raspiness to the upper mids and treble is quite noticeable for my ears & was not a good fit for my preferences.

Yup. That's exactly my issue with them. The edginess/raspiness to the upper mids and treble. Thought the WA7tp and tube rolls could fix it and not so much. Onward to the LCD-X as you suggested. Are those a lot smoother in that particular region? I almost want to go LCD-2 cuz I'm so terrified of piercing headphone treble from the EL-8 open backs that maybe a much darker pair is what I need. Either way..WA7 stays..EL-8s go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back