Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Apr 15, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #4,936 of 6,486

I think they really need to find an appropriate compromise and put out some products in the ranges of $80 to the max of $200 area.

So, Audeze! If you ever see this, get to work on it.
We need netter cans at this range.

Audeze is a small company that primarily hand-builds fantastic headphones in America. What you're asking for is mass manufacturing at very low price points, which is antithetical to what Audeze is and to their philosophy of building products of quality. That's not going to happen.

That said, with the EL-8, Audeze is aiming for a much broader market by entering the hotly-contested mid-fi space. The problem I have found with this approach is not the price point, but that the phones deliver too little. The design is unquestionably sleek and the build is solid, but the sound signature is lacking balance and cohesion and, when compared to its Audeze predecessors, it just doesn't stand up IMO.

So, look for low-cost offerings from large manufacturers, not from Audeze. Wrong business model, wrong company.

I would agree with crixnet's overall point here. Audeze's price points will always be higher than competitors with their approach and business. Also add the fact that they are considered a brand name in audio (so they can afford to go a bit higher pricing).

I do think the EL-8 overestimates its actually sonic value with its $700  price point, and the sonic performance per dollar much harder to justify at this price point. Really should not have any questionable sonics when you reach this mark as there are many $300 price point mid-fi headphones without any glaring sonic weaknesses already.

Hmm, interesting. I wonder if we'll see it happen in the future. I still think $600 is a steep price point.

The EL-8s are actually $700, but agreed. Even at the $600 mark, I would still tend to agree. To be competitive in the high-end mid-fi market, you will need to be priced around $300 to 400 to 500 or offer something really outstanding to be at the $700 price point (as that is close enough to flagship territory that I personally am unsure that the EL-8 delivers enough for its price point). The current $600-$900 price points already have headphones that can go toe-to-toe with established flagships, so if you are making a 'baby version of a flagship' at that price point, it is definitely a hard sell (imo, ymmv).

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #4,937 of 6,486
  I would agree with crixnet's overall point here. Audeze's price points will always be higher than competitors with their approach and business. Also add the fact that they are considered a brand name in audio (so they can afford to go a bit higher pricing).

I do think the EL-8 overestimates its actually sonic value with its $700  price point, and the sonic performance per dollar much harder to justify at this price point. Really should not have any questionable sonics when you reach this mark as there are many $300 price point mid-fi headphones without any glaring sonic weaknesses already.

The EL-8s are actually $700, but agreed. Even at the $600 mark, I would still tend to agree. To be competitive in the high-end mid-fi market, you will need to be priced around $300 to 400 to 500 or offer something really outstanding to be at the $700 price point (as that is close enough to flagship territory that I personally am unsure that the EL-8 delivers enough for its price point). The current $600-$900 price points already have headphones that can go toe-to-toe with established flagships, so if you are making a 'baby version of a flagship' at that price point, it is definitely a hard sell (imo, ymmv).

Agree with your points, I think if were able to get the EL8 down to $400 (like PM-3) they would sell really well to those coming from bose and beats as the premium wouldn't be sticker shock.

Apr 16, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #4,938 of 6,486
Sorry guys and the people at Audeze, ive decided to not purchase the closed el-8 anymore, wasnt sure i would like the sound plus didn't want to have to wait till the end of the month.

Ive instead bought the LCD-XC thanks audeze!

I now have every headphone in the LCD line >< At first listen i was not impressed with the XC and thought id made a very expensive mistake, However after giving them some head time im no longer dissatisfied and have been really enjoying them :)  

Apr 16, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #4,939 of 6,486
Sorry guys and the people at Audeze, ive decided to not purchase the closed el-8 anymore, wasnt sure i would like the sound plus didn't want to have to wait till the end of the month.

Ive instead bought the LCD-XC thanks audeze!

I now have every headphone in the LCD line >< At first listen i was not impressed with the XC and thought id made a very expensive mistake, However after giving them some head time im no longer dissatisfied and have been really enjoying them :)  

Does your collection include the LCD-X open version? That's alit of Audeze. Do you own or have you listened to the non-fazor versions? IF so, how do they compare?

Apr 16, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #4,941 of 6,486
Do you have to have the WA7tp tube power supply to use those 12AU7s, or can you just roll those into the standard WA7 and get a similar effect?

Yes, adding WA7tp make a great improvement in every area. Tube rolling on tp change sound signature a lot.

You can check in this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/715375/woo-audio-wa7tp-tube-power-supply-impressions-thread

Apr 16, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #4,942 of 6,486

I was at B&H about two weeks ago to check out their new headphone room. Honestly, it was pretty disappointing. It shares space with their pro audio / dj section, so it is not a quiet listening environment. The biggest disappointment was how limited the selection was, they only have about 8 high end cans available to demo and only one Audeze (the LCD-3F).

They still have their regular headphone demo area that has tons of different models, but if you are specifically going to try out high end stuff, I agree with the other posters that suggest you should check out Lyric, Stereo Exchange, etc...

I've purchased a couple items from Lyric and both times they told me "this is the last one we have so we can only sell it as a demo with no return policy." It seemed a bit fishy, so watch out.

Apr 16, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #4,946 of 6,486

Yep, I got a price break so didn't insist on waiting for a "new" one. I kind of got the feeling you only get their full service when you spend big $$, but I could be wrong.

Well good that you got the price break. But thanks for the heads up about Lyric, I can add them to my ever growing "shady NYC businesses" list! ;-p

Apr 16, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #4,947 of 6,486
Can anyone comment on how the closed sounds driven by the Chord Hugo?

Apr 16, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #4,948 of 6,486
Does your collection include the LCD-X open version? That's alit of Audeze. Do you own or have you listened to the non-fazor versions? IF so, how do they compare?

I personally like the lcdx out of the audezes Ive heard so far, no experience w. prefazors, but ive heard they are relatively darker the fazor versions and the lcdx is abt all the darkness i can handle.

Apr 16, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #4,949 of 6,486

I hear you, although Leica was a very established player with beaucoup bucks from their hand-built business before partnering up with Panasonic. And Apple never built any of their stuff; it was alway manufactured overseas.

I'd bet real money Audeze won't go this route. The EL-8 has been their first foray away from their original business model, and it has proved to be far less than a resounding success.

It's a little too early to say whether the EL-8 has "proved to be far less than a resounding success". There was a lot of stupid early hype about them being potentially better than the LCD series (what purpose would that serve Audeze?), which did them no favours. They are a competent, aesthetically pleasing planar that have been executed to sound good off an Ipod or any decent DAP (which they do) while not crushing your vertebrae. They sound & feel better to me than similarly priced planars like the HE-500 and the HE-560 for this purpose.

If Audeze can fix their QC issues, these should enjoy some success. 

Apr 16, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #4,950 of 6,486
  It's a little too early to say whether the EL-8 has "proved to be far less than a resounding success". There was a lot of stupid early hype about them being potentially better than the LCD series (what purpose would that serve Audeze?), which did them no favours. They are a competent, aesthetically pleasing planar that have been executed to sound good off an Ipod or any decent DAP (which they do) while not crushing your vertebrae. They sound & feel better to me than similarly priced planars like the HE-500 and the HE-560 for this purpose.

If Audeze can fix their QC issues, these should enjoy some success. 

You have a very good perspective here.

As is typical in forums, there is initial excitement, sometimes blown out of proportion, followed by bandwagon unfair trashing, with a bit of hostility thrown in for good measure. For example, the attack on Mike Mercer a few pages back.

QC issues aside, the only real question is does it live up to other headphones in this category/price point. If it doesn't for [You], then that is it. There is no reason to get all riled up and abuse the company, other forum members or reviewers.

I am planning on trying them out and if its not a good experience, I will return them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back