Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Apr 14, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #4,876 of 6,486
After spending some time with the El-8 I find them very weird and confused sounding especially with complex music, the soundstage though accurate is smaller than lcd-2 and the HE-500 not to mention the treble is very forward, very in your face type of sound to the top end. It does sound very mid centeric though despite having excellent extension and control in the bass it lacks impact and punch. 

Over in terms of build I think its a fantastic headphone is a great looker as well but the sound is very inconsistent and not worth the 699 price tag. heck I prefer my 299 dollar x2's much more than the el-8.

Apr 14, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #4,877 of 6,486
  After spending some time with the El-8 I find them very weird and confused sounding especially with complex music, the soundstage though accurate is smaller than lcd-2 and the HE-500 not to mention the treble is very forward, very in your face type of sound to the top end. It does sound very mid centeric though despite having excellent extension and control in the bass it lacks impact and punch. 

Over in terms of build I think its a fantastic headphone is a great looker as well but the sound is very inconsistent and not worth the 699 price tag. heck I prefer my 299 dollar x2's much more than the el-8.

X2s are really a reference point in terms of price/value ratio. A headphone should be much better than X2s to be preferred at $699, which EL-8s don't seem to be based on impressions. As a planar magnetic, Oppo PM-2 (open) and PM-3 (closed), despite lacking some excitement, are more reasonable at their respective price points. At least they don't have any major weaknesses.

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #4,878 of 6,486
The crazy hype guy is very silent since the reality check is running on this cans, isn't he?

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #4,879 of 6,486
Apr 14, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #4,880 of 6,486

I don't doubt your observations, and I've read similar from others here. My experience with the EL-8 is pretty different: mine are smooth and balanced with a cohesive sound from top to bottom. They lack just a bit of clarity in the top, but again, that's just the brand's house sound to me.

This kind of discrepancy in perception really isn't unusual for a new Audez'e product offering.

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #4,881 of 6,486
  All of these opinions of the EL-8 are hilarious given the hype they were getting when first previewed. ''These may be better than the LCD's!''

Audio memory is a funny thing, but if I had to choose between the pre-Fazor LCD-2s I've owned in the past and the EL-8s, I'd pick the latter.

I have no experience with current production LCD-2s, and I certainly have no intention of selling my Xs in favor of the EL-8.

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #4,882 of 6,486
The crazy hype guy is very silent since the reality check is running on this cans, isn't he?

LOL!  Yep.  Very quiet.
rolleyes.gif

Which one?

Mike Mercer.

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #4,883 of 6,486
Finally got my EL-8 closed yesterday after a month long returns fiasco (to be fair to Audeze this was down to one, now ex-employee).

I thought I'd try them with my Pono player first as I believe Audeze used these at CES. To my surprise, harsh, bright and lacking in bass. Not nice at all.

Sony ZX1 was a big improvement thankfully, tight bass and more substance to the sound. Still very bright at the upper-mid and top end, to my ears.

I added Hugo which improved the sound a little more across the board. I then tried my hi-fi setup of Cyrus Audio streamer and DAC into an Auralic Taurus 2 and things stepped up a notch again but still that brightness remains. 

The headphones are impressive in many areas, they're really not far off being as revealing and detailed as the LCD-X and they have an impressive soundstage for portable (ish) cans but with the wrong source and material the higher frequencies are making me pull a face like I'm sucking on a lemon. 

Probably not for me, then. Any suggestions for a similarly priced semi-portable headphone that I can plug into my ZX1 or Pono and enjoy similar fidelity but with a warmer more musical tone? Perhaps I should look at different DAPs as I'm aware the ZX1 with Hugo and my LCD-X is bordering on bright at times (although nothing like the EL-8).

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #4,884 of 6,486
Keep running them. Mine were initially very bright and thin but really filled out after a few days. Granted, the overall sound signature is still a bit treble forward, but overall it's still balanced and full.

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #4,887 of 6,486
  Finally got my EL-8 closed yesterday after a month long returns fiasco (to be fair to Audeze this was down to one, now ex-employee).

I thought I'd try them with my Pono player first as I believe Audeze used these at CES. To my surprise, harsh, bright and lacking in bass. Not nice at all.

Sony ZX1 was a big improvement thankfully, tight bass and more substance to the sound. Still very bright at the upper-mid and top end, to my ears.

I added Hugo which improved the sound a little more across the board. I then tried my hi-fi setup of Cyrus Audio streamer and DAC into an Auralic Taurus 2 and things stepped up a notch again but still that brightness remains. 

The headphones are impressive in many areas, they're really not far off being as revealing and detailed as the LCD-X and they have an impressive soundstage for portable (ish) cans but with the wrong source and material the higher frequencies are making me pull a face like I'm sucking on a lemon. 

Probably not for me, then. Any suggestions for a similarly priced semi-portable headphone that I can plug into my ZX1 or Pono and enjoy similar fidelity but with a warmer more musical tone? Perhaps I should look at different DAPs as I'm aware the ZX1 with Hugo and my LCD-X is bordering on bright at times (although nothing like the EL-8).

You may actually like the Oppo PM-3, and it is a little easier to drive than the EL-8 and a lot more portable. It's relaxed nature may hide a little bit more details, but you won't know until you try. I would recommend another can, but I don't believe the ZX1 or Pono would be able to drive it as well as it could be driven.

I don't know man. I thought the Alpha Prime hype would die down, but that thing is still going for some reason. I thought the Alpha Dog was boring at times, and I still think that may be a better headphone than the Primes.

Honestly, I'm happy I went with the ZMF Blackwood semi-blind as opposed to the EL-8. After reading impressions, seeing the FR graphs, listening to it, ect...the EL-8 is no where near what it was hyped up to be and, while it SEEMS like a baby LCD-X, it certainly doesn't get anywhere near that headphone in quality. It's disappointing that I thought this headphone was going to end up being better than the LCD 2.2f because they were going to implement the EL-8's driver innovations into the LCD line...but that's probably not the case anymore.

The price point of the EL-8 is pretty awkward. There's so many other choices that are plain better for the money. The HE560 is 200$ more new, the same price B-stock. The TH600 is available for a similar, if not lower price. The PM-3 is said to be better or at least the same in quality as the EL-8. The LCD 2 is available for ~300$ more, but you can always find a used pair for drastically less. Then you have the Blackwood, which is 700$ new and actually sounds like more like a closed LCD-X than the XC does. If this headphone was released 2 years ago, it might have actually be in a less awkward spot, but it just doesn't seem like it's worth the money right now. Maybe future revisions will improve it massively, but I'm wondering if Audeze focused more on keeping this below the LCD line as opposed to making it a great buy for the money like it was suppose to be.

Then again, I'm usually in the minority with my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt.

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #4,889 of 6,486

The price point of the EL-8 is pretty awkward. There's so many other choices that are plain better for the money. The HE560 is 200$ more new, the same price B-stock. The TH600 is available for a similar, if not lower price. The PM-3 is said to be better or at least the same in quality as the EL-8. The LCD 2 is available for ~300$ more, but you can always find a used pair for drastically less. Then you have the Blackwood, which is 700$ new and actually sounds like more like a closed LCD-X than the XC does. If this headphone was released 2 years ago, it might have actually be in a less awkward spot, but it just doesn't seem like it's worth the money right now. Maybe future revisions will improve it massively, but I'm wondering if Audeze focused more on keeping this below the LCD line as opposed to making it a great buy for the money like it was suppose to be.

Have you listened to the EL8s? 

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #4,890 of 6,486
  All of these opinions of the EL-8 are hilarious given the hype they were getting when first previewed. ''These may be better than the LCD's!''

This is unfortunately many times the case. "New toy syndrome" mixes with "hype train" and people think it's the next top of the line in a price bracket. Many times newer members think that "new" will be better. That's why it's always best (IMO) to wait out the hype train and see how people feel, or even better, try to get an audition once the production comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back