Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Apr 12, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #4,831 of 6,486
  I was fooling around the other day and discovered the EL-8 sounds really nice with an OTL amp.  I actually like this pairing better than with solid state.  I love the vocals on EL-8 and with this pairing the mid-bass is nice and heavy.   Stereo separation and soundstage is nice.  EL-8 is not an LCD in refinement.  There are some things that could be better, but it's not a bad headphone in any way.

EDM fans will love EL-8.  :)

I would have sworn I saw you share this photo on Facebook -- or perhaps it was just a similar one.

I know you really liked the Focal Spirit Professional, as did I. Do you feel the EL-8 surpasses it in every way? (Not counting tonal balance.)

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #4,832 of 6,486

This one also exhibits a dip at a specific frequency. Tyll has a bunch of SR-009 graphs on his website, and every single one of them shows that dip. I think the effect of a dip there is an "unsmooth" treble, that may sound a bit grainy/harsh. In actual practice, the SR-009 does sound ever so slightly harsh in the treble, too, or at least it does to me. But that doesn't make it any less of a world-class headphone.

The same thing can be said of the EL-8, a dip in the treble doesn't make it any worse of a headphone. It just means it has a certain "character" to it that some may not like... Just like some may not like the "unsmooth" treble of the SR-009.

But in no way is a dip at 7.5KHz or at any frequency desirable IMO.

On the whole the 009 has the best treble of any headphone I've heard - but it's not absolutely perfect. Dips are usually more benign as they are sins of omission, but there's also the frequency and magnitude to worry about. For example, when I tried the open EL8 at Canjam, it was almost immediately obvious that something was a little off. There was a little grain and a disconnected, sort of wispy quality to the treble. It's nowhere bad enough to be a deal breaker, but it is noticeable. On the 009, with its smaller dip, the treble sounds smoother, especially when compared to most orthos. (The Hifiman orthos tend to be particularly vulnerable to etched-sounding treble, with Audeze you get a smoother sound in the lower treble but the last octave can add some problematic extra "heat" to the air range.)

So obviously the 7.5khz dip really wouldn't be that much of a problem if it wasn't so drastic.

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #4,833 of 6,486
  Still I dont understand why there are no formal rebiews of the closed el8 so far besides the review of the open el8 (Mike)
confused.gif

I have the  opportunity  to hear the oppo pm1 with the ha1 and sounded sensasional (cobra sound paris)
at home with my new teac ud-501 and some clever fubar   2000  EQ  i got almost the same result with my closed el8
people afraid of using EQ should  not buy the audeze el8s others  will  be delighted with  the results
smile.gif

I don't really trust that guy's reviews. His review is like an advertisement. He goes on and on as if EL-8 is the best thing since sliced bread and doesn't say its weak points at all which are well, obvious to many members on Head-Fi and Tyll. Lots of words that doesn't really say anything. I will wait for more professional reviews (like Tyll Hertsens for instance).

Apr 12, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #4,834 of 6,486
Listen to this track on EL-8 open-back on an amp and you'll get what I mean by great for fans of EDM.  
smily_headphones1.gif

I would have sworn I saw you share this photo on Facebook -- or perhaps it was just a similar one.

Perhaps it was this one.  :) With SS amp, bass is more controlled.

I know you really liked the Focal Spirit Professional, as did I. Do you feel the EL-8 surpasses it in every way? (Not counting tonal balance.)

I love the Focal Pro.  EL-8 is a heavier sound.  I like the comfort of EL-8 more.  Wish the Focal Pro had bigger cups.

Apr 12, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #4,836 of 6,486
  So obviously the 7.5khz dip really wouldn't be that much of a problem if it wasn't so drastic.

Absolutely. If it was -5 dB or so versus the mid range, then I don't think it would be a huge problem. Perhaps it would still be noticeable, and some people wouldn't like it, but I wouldn't call that a "bad" frequency response.

However, what we have, instead, is a really deep notch. It's narrow enough at its greatest magnitude that, to some users, yourself included, it still won't be a deal breaker. At $700, though, I think that's just too big of an issue to overlook. Maybe at around $300, these would be able to grab my attention.

Apr 12, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #4,837 of 6,486
The el-8's are great but I have yet to hear the newest product (listened to the sample at canjam).  I will be going to the dealer to listen to them Tuesday when they come in.  

I will be taking the Focal Spirit Pro back for two reasons.  The frequencies which are presented by high-hat and cymbals seem to be very harsh and fatiguing to my ears.  Also, I thought I would be able to get past the on-the-ear configuration but no, my head feels like it is in a vice clamp.  On the plus side the clarity and imaging of most of what I hear is truly dazzling.  

It has taken me a long time to realize just how personal preference (i.e. the sound you like) is not alway what is most accurate.  The FSP is a good example of a great studio monitor that is not what I want to listen to all evening.

btw, where did you get that headphone stand?

jhv

Apr 12, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #4,838 of 6,486
  The el-8's are great but I have yet to hear the newest product (listened to the sample at canjam).  I will be going to the dealer to listen to them Tuesday when they come in.  

I will be taking the Focal Spirit Pro back for two reasons.  The frequencies which are presented by high-hat and cymbals seem to be very harsh and fatiguing to my ears.  Also, I thought I would be able to get past the on-the-ear configuration but no, my head feels like it is in a vice clamp.  On the plus side the clarity and imaging of most of what I hear is truly dazzling.  

It has taken me a long time to realize just how personal preference (i.e. the sound you like) is not alway what is most accurate.  The FSP is a good example of a great studio monitor that is not what I want to listen to all evening.

btw, where did you get that headphone stand?

jhv

Any further comparisons between the EL-8 and FSP are appreciated! (Especially if it's the EL-8 Closed-Back.)

The cymbals sounded natural and realistic to me, and I'm extremely picky with cymbals, since most studio monitor headphones have very harsh, unnatural cymbals. I guess your ears are much larger than mine, because the FSP's ear cups totally surrounded my ears. The only minor complaints I had about the FSP were that some of the frequencies were slightly recessed, which shows in the measurements (but being on the slightly darker side of neutral isn't a bad thing), and there was also a resonance that made the sound swell up and reflect back a little louder -- which all closed headphones do to a certain extent, but it was especially noticeable in this one. However, that may have contributed to why it had such excellent physicality and impact.

Mike is with Woo Audio. It is a Woo headphone stand.

Apr 12, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #4,839 of 6,486
I didnt say that it did, and I'm sure you know I was referring to the amount of times Ive heard it and not stupid enough to think more is always better.
Out interest have you done blind tests with both? :)

nope, ive only heard the fazor versions, but there are some ppl who swear by the prefazor versions & say that fazor ruined the sound for em. i think thats rly just personal pref, so everyone's mmv

edit: for the person asking abt the stand, its a woo audio stand. i wld check out silverstone tek eba01 stand if the woo ones are too pricey for you. very nice and very similar in design.

Apr 12, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #4,841 of 6,486

That's really odd. The HD 700 had very weak bass when I heard it -- far weaker than the FSP, which has measurably neutral bass. According to the measurements, the EL-8 has less bass than neutral, but the PM-3 does have neutral bass measurements, which is why I was confused about what you said about the PM-3 being bass-light.

Don't wanna see 'em? Go to my profile and click Block Member. ^_^

it is just a comment kanapak is observing.  I also observe that as well.  I would suggest you buy the EL-8 and try it yourself and that is the true test, YOUR EARS!

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #4,844 of 6,486
That's good to hear!  I know these are not the most expensive cans on the market but they are not free either.  I'd just hate to invest $700 and get a broke pair.  On a separate topic, has anyone tried these out with the magni/modi 2 uber setup? 

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #4,845 of 6,486
  That's good to hear!  I know these are not the most expensive cans on the market but they are not free either.  I'd just hate to invest $700 and get a broke pair.  On a separate topic, has anyone tried these out with the magni/modi 2 uber setup? 

I have that setup and the EL8 (open) sounded ok, these are really easy to drive and I got pretty good sound with my Fiio X3.  If you read back a week or two there are some like me that found they don't scale much, but like everything on these threads YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back