Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Apr 9, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #4,561 of 6,486
  My wife and I are heading there this weekend to go to B&H, and, although they don't carry Hifiman or Oppo, I'm hopeful they'll have a few Audeze models to sample...

I was at B&H about two weeks ago to check out their new headphone room. Honestly, it was pretty disappointing. It shares space with their pro audio / dj section, so it is not a quiet listening environment. The biggest disappointment was how limited the selection was, they only have about 8 high end cans available to demo and only one Audeze (the LCD-3F).

They still have their regular headphone demo area that has tons of different models, but if you are specifically going to try out high end stuff, I agree with the other posters that suggest you should check out Lyric, Stereo Exchange, etc...

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #4,562 of 6,486

I was at B&H about two weeks ago to check out their new headphone room. Honestly, it was pretty disappointing. It shares space with their pro audio / dj section, so it is not a quiet listening environment. The biggest disappointment was how limited the selection was, they only have about 8 high end cans available to demo and only one Audeze (the LCD-3F).

They still have their regular headphone demo area that has tons of different models, but if you are specifically going to try out high end stuff, I agree with the other posters that suggest you should check out Lyric, Stereo Exchange, etc...

Thanks for the intel, I really appreciate it...that's truly disappointing...almost enough to make me wanna scrap the trek entirely, though seeing as I work at home and the weather this winter has been horrid, I frankly haven't been out all that much at all.  Suppose I'll take a chance and head out to try and visit some of these other spots...

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #4,563 of 6,486

Thanks for the intel, I really appreciate it...that's truly disappointing...almost enough to make me wanna scrap the trek entirely, though seeing as I work at home and the weather this winter has been horrid, I frankly haven't been out all that much at all.  Suppose I'll take a chance and head out to try and visit some of these other spots...

No problem. I have not been to Stereo Exchange, but the impression I get is that they have a pretty good selection of headphones available to demo. Might be worth giving them a call and asking what they have...

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #4,564 of 6,486

I'm not sure if you are telling your problem to Audeze correctly, this is definitely a issue on their end and you should have received an RMA label from them.

-Also note: This could be more than just a cable issue. They have told me that my order could have been a bad batch during the first-production run. I recommend you send in your headphone so you do not have to run into any potential problems in the future.

I have mentioned on this thread previously 2 weeks ago that my open-EL8 were having issues with sound on the right side, and it could have been a cable issue or the right driver itself. Not to rain on your parade or anything but Audeze has since responded to me personally through Head-Fi on a private message and on this forum specifically stating that anyone with the issue should speak to their support and they will take care of issues in regards to the EL-8 in their end because the headphones are very new.

Anyways, I just received my replacement headphone yesterday from them and to give everyone that is worried about their overall customer experience for headphone issues, it is definitely excellent. They responded to me through HeadFi, email, and answered my telephone calls whenever I called in (during hours of operations for support). They created an RMA label for me to send in my headphones to check on the issue, and my only complaint was that it took 2 weeks in order to get a replacement.

You should talk to Jerid by phone through Audeze's support phone number. He is the one always answering the calls on their end and has been wonderful in assisting me with the issue.

Thank you, we're very sorry to hear of Planarmagnetic's problems -- it might have been related to the robbery, not sure -- and we've PMd Planarmagnetic with the person to contact. In any case we really always strive for best performance when it comes to customer service. 
Audeze

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Apr 9, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #4,565 of 6,486

Have orders for the closed version started to come in for anybody? Seems like those are still hard to find in stock...

Many people received it and shared their impressions throughout this thread.

I heard from a local dealer that Audeze has done some new work on the closed el-8 (possibly due to feedback at CanJam).  I hope they can get them in soon...

I listened to the open back again and they were great.  

The salesman went into the back to pulled out a French monitor headphone that he encouraged me to hear.  The reason I bring this up is Music Alchemist has kept mentioning the Focal Spirit.  I was very impressed with the sound.  Very musical and extremely accurate.  I will be listening to them again when I get my hands on the closed back el-8.  Anyone who can listen to the Focal Spirits should have a listen...

good call 
beerchug.gif

jhv

Apr 9, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #4,566 of 6,486
  I heard from a local dealer that Audeze has done some new work on the closed el-8 (possibly due to feedback at CanJam).  I hope they can get them in soon...

I listened to the open back again and they were great.  

The salesman went into the back to pulled out a French monitor headphone that he encouraged me to hear.  The reason I bring this up is Music Alchemist has kept mentioning the Focal Spirit.  I was very impressed with the sound.  Very musical and extremely accurate.  I will be listening to them again when I get my hands on the closed back el-8.  Anyone who can listen to the Focal Spirits should have a listen...

good call 
beerchug.gif

jhv

Ohhhh, NICE!

It would be cool if it had improved sound by the time the upcoming all-black version is out.

The FSP is sooo good. If the EL-8 Closed-Back can be as good or better, I'm very interested!

But are you sure you heard the Focal Spirit Professional? There is also the Focal Spirit Classic, which is less accurate and more warm. And then there is the Focal Spirit One and Spirit One S. You did say monitor headphone, but I just wanted to make sure.

How do you feel about the EL-8 Open-Back vs the FSP?

Apr 9, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #4,567 of 6,486

No problem. I have not been to Stereo Exchange, but the impression I get is that they have a pretty good selection of headphones available to demo. Might be worth giving them a call and asking what they have...

Does B&H allow you to test out their high-end headphones on your own portable source? I want to bring a dap or dac/amp when I visit.  I know some retailers have their demo headphones hardwired to their own amps/sources.

Apr 9, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #4,568 of 6,486

Ohhhh, NICE!

It would be cool if it had improved sound by the time the upcoming all-black version is out.

The FSP is sooo good. If the EL-8 Closed-Back can be as good or better, I'm very interested!

But are you sure you heard the Focal Spirit Professional? There is also the Focal Spirit Classic, which is less accurate and more warm. And then there is the Focal Spirit One and Spirit One S. You did say monitor headphone, but I just wanted to make sure.

How do you feel about the EL-8 Open-Back vs the FSP?

Have they confirmed that an all black version is coming? 
Why would you want the EL-8 if it sounds like a 300 dollar headphone that you already own? 

Apr 9, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #4,569 of 6,486
yeah, it was the Professional.  Really Really like it.  But, like you I am waiting to see how this whole thing with the el-8 closed ends up.  Talking to people in the industry and seeing the posts Audeze makes me believe this company is trying to do right by its customers.  

I'm sure the rip-off they experienced couldn't have come at a worse time for them so close to the el-8 release.
Hope things settle down soon...

beerchug.gif

jhv

Apr 9, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #4,570 of 6,486
  Have they confirmed that an all black version is coming? 
Why would you want the EL-8 if it sounds like a 300 dollar headphone that you already own? 

Yeah, @Audeze posted in this thread about it at least once.

I never said anything about it sounding the same. I was referring to the overall quality, which can manifest itself in many different sound signatures. And I do not own the FSP anymore. (Though I may buy it again someday.)

Apr 9, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #4,571 of 6,486

Yeah, @Audeze posted in this thread about it at least once.

I never said anything about it sounding the same. I was referring to the overall quality, which can manifest itself in many different sound signatures. And I do not own the FSP anymore. (Though I may buy it again someday.)

Well, a 700 dollar headphone with the same quality as a 300 dollar one doesn't sound too tempting to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back