Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Apr 7, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #4,471 of 6,486

Cool impressions!

Since I could get an HE-6 rig for not much more, the EL-8 Open-Back has been moved to my "probably add to the collection later" wish list. The EL-8 Closed-Back is pretty high up there on my portable headphone wish list, but I have no idea when I would start traveling much.

Thanks - I haven't spent much time with the HE-6 but properly amped, I would think they would be a great option.

I travel quite a bit, though thankfully not full time anymore, so was only interested in the Closed.  Will go back and listen to the Open version soon just so I have some perspective on the differences between the two EL-8s.

Apr 7, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #4,472 of 6,486
  I sent my El-8 Closed back to Audeze for RMA as well, will see how fast the whole process is from here on.      But they were responsive through their email (zen desk) support.

are you also having that sound/cable issue on a earcup??

They were suppose to let me know what was wrong with it, but it never happened when I got a replacmeent. Very curious about what the problem is since this is a known issue.

Apr 7, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #4,473 of 6,486
  are you also having that sound/cable issue on a earcup??

They were suppose to let me know what was wrong with it, but it never happened when I got a replacmeent. Very curious about what the problem is since this is a known issue.

My issue was with a physical noise inside the right earcup that sounded like adhesive is loose, so get this "thack thack" type of noise.  Also feel the overall SQ less than ideal, and therefore hoping its because the right cup internals are defective.

Apr 7, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #4,474 of 6,486

My issue was with a physical noise inside the right earcup that sounded like adhesive is loose, so get this "thack thack" type of noise.  Also feel the overall SQ less than ideal, and therefore hoping its because the right cup internals are defective.

thats actually quite interesting. My replacements actually felt like it sounded better than my first one too. Hope you will update us on how the SQ for your replacements are in comparisons to the defective pair.

Apr 7, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #4,475 of 6,486
  hahah i'm feeling ya. getting my closed el-8 today. can pm you some private impressions if you like. i know you have a ton of different headphones, but you can check out my gear list for which headphones we share if that would be helpful.

Quote:

My pair of Open EL-8 is 'Out for delivery'.  I will be able to tell you the truth very soon 
wink.gif

Excellent. I am anxious to hear both your impressions here in the thread. But you can also PM me if you feel the need to yell and scream 
biggrin.gif

wink.gif

Apr 7, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #4,479 of 6,486
  I have the feeling that my receptionist was not at her desk when they tried to deliver them. 
mad.gif

I see. Receiving packages can be so frustrating sometimes. I just sit there in my living room for hours to make sure I don't miss it.

Once you do receive them, it would be awesome if you could test 'em out with all the genres listed on my profile!

Apr 7, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #4,481 of 6,486
Alright, time to update my impressions on the closed back el-8...

I originally gave a glowing review using both an iPad and iPhone 6 as the only source. My only gripe was a lack of bass extension in the lowest octave.

Well, I found the bass.

I recently purchased the schiit modi/magni 2 uber stack and boy does it make a difference with the el-8! Now, that's not to say the iPhone and iPad can't drive the el-8 (they can), but the bass suffers, and the imaging isn't quite as well defined. Overall, with the amp and dac I'm getting much more energy and life to the music. Close your eyes on Eric clapton's unplugged album and you're sitting right there in the front row. Magical.

So for all those folks looking for a great amp dac combo, I have nothing but positive things to say about schiit's 2U stack. The value is incredible, the sound is incredible.

Now back to the music.

Apr 7, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #4,482 of 6,486

I originally gave a glowing review using both an iPad and iPhone 6 as the only source. My only gripe was a lack of bass extension in the lowest octave.

Well, I found the bass.

I recently purchased the schiit modi/magni 2 uber stack and boy does it make a difference with the el-8! Now, that's not to say the iPhone and iPad can't drive the el-8 (they can), but the bass suffers, and the imaging isn't quite as well defined. Overall, with the amp and dac I'm getting much more energy and life to the music. Close your eyes on Eric clapton's unplugged album and you're sitting right there in the front row. Magical.

So for all those folks looking for a great amp dac combo, I have nothing but positive things to say about schiit's 2U stack. The value is incredible, the sound is incredible.

Now back to the music.

I noticed a similar thing when I owned the Schiit stack. There was almost no difference between using it and plugging into my laptop's headphone jack, except when there was heavy bass in the music, it was stronger on the amp and DAC.

Apr 7, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #4,484 of 6,486

Well, I found the bass.

Now back to the music.

I've found the modi2/magni 2 uber stack to have a similar response with the Open EL-8 vs unamped sources. Mostly a nice improvement with the bass and clarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back